@reboot bash /root/mount.sh >/dev/null 2>&1

sixshooterz

PG Sergeant
PG Donor
Sep 14, 2018
Anywhere, USA
Reactions
14 0 0
The crontab -e needs to be run after typing su, entering password, then paste command, without sudo. I think either option will work. The above script is perfect if permissions are not set properly. It could also be used in the pg script, if passed the processing location when changing it. Maybe?

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Jan 17, 2018
Reactions
1,944 0 0
The crontab -e needs to be run after typing su, entering password, then paste command, without sudo. I think either option will work. The above script is perfect if permissions are not set properly. It could also be used in the pg script, if passed the processing location when changing it. Maybe?
can add :D

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

MrDoob

PG 1st Lieutenant
Tech Lead
Dedicated Sponsor
PG Donor
Aug 4, 2018
GERMANY
Reactions
88 0 0
Well, ln -s creates a symbolic link, whereas mount --bind creates a mount.

A symbolic link is a special type of file. If you do ln -s /var/target /var/link,
then /var/link will be a file containing the path "/var/target" in it. The only difference between a symbolic link and an ordinary file is that when a program tries to perform an operation on a symbolic link, the operation is usually performed on the target instead of the file. So now if you do ls /var/link, the ls program will try to get a directory listing for /var/link, but will actually get a directory listing for /var/target instead.

Symbolic links are still just files, though. They can be renamed and deleted and all that jazz. Note that you can't create a symbolic link (or an ordinary file, for that matter) called /var/link if there's already a file called /var/link; you'd need to get rid of it first.

A mount isn't a file; it's a record that the kernel keeps in memory. If you do mount --bind /var/target /var/mount, the kernel will record the fact that /var/mountis now a new name for /var/target. (I don't know the details; in particular, I don't know if mounting something in a subdirectory of /var/target will make it show up in /var/mount as well, or why or why not. Edits to this answer would be appreciated.) So now if you do ls /var/mount, the same thing will happen as if you did ls /var/target, because /var/mount and /var/target are the same directory.

Mounts aren't files. I don't know what would happen if you tried to rename or delete /var/mount. Note that you can't mount anything at /var/mount unlessthere's already a directory at /var/mount

AMMJ93

PG First Class
Jan 7, 2019
Reactions
0 0 0
I solved this problem by symlinking the /mnt/move folder to the processing disk folder.

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

peppeee

PG First Class
Sep 26, 2018
Reactions
1 0 0
I have the same problem like OP.
I just upgraded from 6.x to 8.1.2, and my move directory contains stuff that gets synched with remote directory BUT not deleted after sync.
so my hard drive is filling! the 2nd hard drive to be exact, as I changed the path in some plexguide submenu

sixshooterz

PG Sergeant
PG Donor
Sep 14, 2018
Anywhere, USA
Reactions
14 0 0
I have the same problem like OP.
I just upgraded from 6.x to 8.1.2, and my move directory contains stuff that gets synched with remote directory BUT not deleted after sync.
so my hard drive is filling! the 2nd hard drive to be exact, as I changed the path in some plexguide submenu
Read thru this thread as there is a solution to this that will move your files to gdrive and clean up the move folder.

peppeee

PG First Class
Sep 26, 2018
Reactions
1 0 0
you're right, i just read the 1st page :geek:

I will do the binding stuff, anyway i was wandering if a plexguide fix is needed or it's just a problem of my configuration

sixshooterz

PG Sergeant
PG Donor
Sep 14, 2018
Anywhere, USA
Reactions
14 0 0
you're right, i just read the 1st page :geek:

I will do the binding stuff, anyway i was wandering if a plexguide fix is needed or it's just a problem of my configuration
It's something that, in my opinion, needs to be fixed within plexguide and Admin has said in this thread that it can be added. For now the solution is to manually bind /mnt/move to the location on the second disk. Once it's done though, you shouldn't have to worry about it again. 👍👍

Nov 9, 2018
Reactions
7 0 0
If it failes

Code:
#!/bin/bash
##mount options

mount --bind /secondary/hdd /mnt/move

chown -cR name:name /mnt/move

exit 0
nano mount.sh as root
Copy past ..
Save ..

Add the line

@reboot bash /root/mount.sh >/dev/null 2>&1
So is this now replacing the symlink in https://github.com/Admin9705/PlexGuide.com-The-Awesome-Plex-Server/wiki/Using-2nd-Harddrive as the preferred/optimal way to use a 2nd HDD? I have had no issues with symlink but am zapping my whole install to re-build an 8.x setup so I can be in a supported version ;)

MrDoob

PG 1st Lieutenant
Tech Lead
Dedicated Sponsor
PG Donor
Aug 4, 2018
GERMANY
Reactions
88 0 0
I will change the Code on the wiki.

MrDoob

PG 1st Lieutenant