Advise regarding Hetzner ex42 With nvme for os | PlexGuide.com

Advise regarding Hetzner ex42 With nvme for os

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

Ishuk

Citizen
Original poster
Jun 23, 2018
I live in Australia and have been using the following server as my feeder and remote plex.

Intel Xeon E3-1220 v2 - 3.1 GHz - 4 core(s)

RAM: 16GB - DDR3

HDD: 2x 1TB (HDD SATA) (one provider, France)

I however have Kodi running on a local pc talking to this remote plex server via plexkodiconnect and locally stream using rclone thru path substitution. It works great for my use case.

I have always used Usenet for my download needs. However, often I am not able to found lot of shows and hence wanted to venture into torrenting and hence thought of changing the current remote dedicated server.

I have been looking into getting Hetzner ex42 2x4tb for long term seeding. However I found out that I can also add. 1 tb nvme ssd drive for €10 extra.

So my question is it worth going for Hetzner ex42 8tb option with 1tb nvme ssd or just 8 tb hdd be sufficient for my use case?

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
Torrents are ridiculously low on storage IO compared to news, generally I find using multiple indexers and backbones helps a lot, but if you prefer to torrent, the trackers seeding time/ratio will be your biggest issue. That usually requires space rather than high IOPS.

Ishuk

Citizen
Original poster
Jun 23, 2018
Torrents are ridiculously low on storage IO compared to news, generally I find using multiple indexers and backbones helps a lot, but if you prefer to torrent, the trackers seeding time/ratio will be your biggest issue. That usually requires space rather than high IOPS.
Hope I understood right!

My plan is to use both torrents and news to find the required content. My understanding is that some of the content can only be found on the niche movies/tv shows private trackers. Hence wanted to go that root. I knew that news require tremendous amount of processing hence nvme. Plus also wanted to have plex running on the nvme drive for fast scanning.
Wasn’t sure if I can have best of both worlds by installing the os on nvme disk and use the hdd for long time torrenting.
Hence I thought to see if I would be worthwhile to Have the extra nvme disk on Hetzner ex42 server?
Thanks for your feedback.
Cheers mate.

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
You have a few options. The ex42 should meet your needs just fine. For another $10 you can get the ex62 which already has 2x1tb nvme. The only thing I'm not sure about is how RAID will work with 2 x 512nvme + 1 1tb nvme, unless you are doing jbod. Or you could get a seedbox like feralhosting (no affiliation) for $10 / month or so and just mount that via rclone ssh mount, then make your path substitutions in sonarr/radarr.

Last edited:

Ishuk

Citizen
Original poster
Jun 23, 2018
You have a few options. The ex42 should meet your needs just fine. For another $10 you can get the ex62 which already has 2x1tb nvme. The only thing I'm not sure about is how RAID will work with 2 x 512nvme + 1 1tb nvme, unless you are doing jbod. Or you could get a seedbox like feralhosting (no affiliation) for $10 / month or so and just mount that via rclone ssh mount, then make your path substitutions in donate/radarr.
That was my concern re using software RAID too. Thought can just install Ubuntu 18.04 on nvme disk and use RAID 0 for the 2x4tb hdds.
im happy with the current setup where I have been using news only. However i find it really frustrating to not able to find lot of old popular tv shows.

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
I missed the 2x4tb piece. That should be plenty and disk io shouldn't be a concern, esp in raid 0. I see 300MB/s plus on a friend's 2x2tb raid 0 feeder setup, which is more than enough for torrents and news. If you use sabz, just turn off the "direct unpack" option in switches to minimize disk I/O storms. In fact he has a 4770 with 32gb ram running 100+ containers (all feeder related) without issue, and I think he got it on the auction side for 25 Euro's/mo.

*Edit* should have noted...torrents aren't bad when you are grabbing new stuff, because it's usually easy to seed back 1:1 or more. But for backfill, it's very difficult unless you donate. That's the biggest challenge with new torrent accounts, is getting a good enough ratio to be able to grab older stuff without dropping below 1:1 which is the requirement for most sites, or close to that anyway. Some sites, like PTP, have a bounty engine for requests that allow you to quickly boost your ratio of you have something someone wants.

Last edited:

Ishuk

Citizen
Original poster
Jun 23, 2018
I missed the 2x4tb piece. That should be plenty and disk io shouldn't be a concern, esp in raid 0. I see 300MB/s plus on a friend's 2x2tb raid 0 feeder setup, which is more than enough for torrents and news. If you use sabz, just turn off the "direct unpack" option in switches to minimize disk I/O storms. In fact he has a 4770 with 32gb ram running 100+ containers (all feeder related) without issue, and I think he got it on the auction side for 25 Euro's/mo.
That’s good to know.
I will go for ex42 storage Io then and add an extra 1tb nvme drive for the os. Hopefully this should help me have the best of both news and torrent wolds.
Thanks for your help.
Post automatically merged:

*Edit* should have noted...torrents aren't bad when you are grabbing new stuff, because it's usually easy to seed back 1:1 or more. But for backfill, it's very difficult unless you donate. That's the biggest challenge with new torrent accounts, is getting a good enough ratio to be able to grab older stuff without dropping below 1:1 which is the requirement for most sites, or close to that anyway. Some sites, like PTP, have a bounty engine for requests that allow you to quickly boost your ratio of you have something someone wants.
I had a seed box from Andy10gb where I filled my gdrive quickly by racing and building up my ratio pretty quick. However I found I filled up my 6 tb hdd pretty quick and was unable to do long term seeding. Found quite time consuming to get rid of week old torrents by achieving more than the desired ratio.
thats why I thouht it wouldn’t hurt to build up a good buffer for torrenting popular stuff for long by having bigger hdd storage drives and using nvme drive for os/news stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
That’s good to know.
I will go for ex42 storage Io then and add an extra 1tb nvme drive for the os. Hopefully this should help me have the best of both news and torrent wolds.
Thanks for your help.
Post automatically merged:

I had a seed box from Andy10gb where I filled my gdrive quickly by racing and building up my ratio pretty quick. However I found I filled up my 6 tb hdd pretty quick and was unable to do long term seeding. Found quite time consuming to get rid of week old torrents by achieving more than the desired ratio.
thats why I thouht it wouldn’t hurt to build up a good buffer for torrenting popular stuff for long by having bigger hdd storage drives and using nvme drive for os/news stuff.
there are some sites with only a 3 day seed requirement, maybe start out with some of those.

doob

Administrator
Project Manager
Jun 7, 2020
Mixed raid works ;)
But you need to create the raid self

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
Good to know. Also I don't believe hetzner uses smr drives but make sure they aren't smr. They slow WAY down when they fill up.

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending