Discussion - Aethernal vs. Hetzner - Seeking advice | PlexGuide.com

Discussion Aethernal vs. Hetzner - Seeking advice

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

b101marc

Active
Original poster
Donor
Donor
Jul 11, 2018
Hi everyone, and apologies on advance for asking probably some pretty basic newbie questions, but I'm a basic newbie. I'm trying to make sure I know as much information as possible before proceeding forward.

I currently use Bytesized Hosting, running the following:
  1. Plex
  2. Jackett
  3. Radarr
  4. Sonarr
  5. Deluge
  6. Ombi
  7. Tautulli
They are good (not great) and recently their memory limitations (5GB) on servers have no longer made them a viable choice if trying to run a fully automated system, leading me to this amazing community and software. I am trying to figure out the best dedicated server to run my wants and needs. I do not have a lot of people watching concurrently on my Plex but would like to expand this to some other friends and family (like 15+ concurrent streams at 1080). I use private trackers exclusively for content. I already have an unlimited GSuite account.

Would Hetzner EX52-NVMe be a better choice? I know pirating in Germany = a no go which is why I'm wondering if Aethernal would work better since it is operated by Byte and I've never had an issue getting content using their servers.

Again sorry for the rambling newbie post, just want to learn as much as possible and make the right choice for my needs.

Thank you in advance for your guidance! I hope to become an active member of this community and share what knowledge I have for people who come here as in the future as I am now.

-b101marc

Jul 2, 2018
honestly you can just grab an auction server from hetzner. i used to have an ex-42 because my old setup before pgblitz had io issues. i was hard copying files which had a huge bottle neck issue for hdds. but since plexguide takes advantage of hardlinks io isnt an issue. they currently have a box thats an i7 3770 which is great because you can utilize the igpu for transcoding if needed. 16gb of ram which is plenty for an automated box. only reason you need more is if you decide to run something like mcmyadmin and need the ram for game servers. that or if you need a ram drive. and 2x3tb hdds which after formatting and additional room for programs and such leaves you about 5.5tb of room for torrents. and it only costs 20 euros. which is pretty cheap.

Hetzner is "ok" with torrents as long as you stick with private trackers. been using private trackers on hetzner network for over a year and havnt heard peep out of them.

b101marc

Active
Original poster
Donor
Donor
Jul 11, 2018
honestly you can just grab an auction server from hetzner. i used to have an ex-42 because my old setup before pgblitz had io issues. i was hard copying files which had a huge bottle neck issue for hdds. but since plexguide takes advantage of hardlinks io isnt an issue. they currently have a box thats an i7 3770 which is great because you can utilize the igpu for transcoding if needed. 16gb of ram which is plenty for an automated box. only reason you need more is if you decide to run something like mcmyadmin and need the ram for game servers. that or if you need a ram drive. and 2x3tb hdds which after formatting and additional room for programs and such leaves you about 5.5tb of room for torrents. and it only costs 20 euros. which is pretty cheap.

Hetzner is "ok" with torrents as long as you stick with private trackers. been using private trackers on hetzner network for over a year and havnt heard peep out of them.
Thank you for your reply! I ended up going with Hetzner and have been using usenet primarily, and some torrent sites for very niche movies/tv.

Xeizez

Citizen
Feb 17, 2020
i grabed a hetzner auction server and have 5 users on at most times having no issues been with them for about 4 months

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending