Plex - All of the sudden: buffering issues with Plex since beginning July (Hetzner EX42 Finland) | PlexGuide.com

Plex All of the sudden: buffering issues with Plex since beginning July (Hetzner EX42 Finland)

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

titooo7

Veteran
Original poster
Jul 31, 2018
Since approximately 2 weeks ago I have had several of my friends complaining about multiple buffering issues when trying to watch content from my Plex Server.

• I run pgblitz 9.6.5 on Hetzner's EX42-NVMe and I didn't change absolutely anything for the last month or so.
  • Plex clients used: LG Webos Plex app and AndroidTV Plex app from smartvs
  • When I ask them to perform an speedtest from speedtest.mydomain.com so I can verify which speeds they are getting the results seem quite normal. For instance: 56mbps download, 100mbps upload, 93ms ping, 64jm jitter.More than enough speed to stream 1080p 5-10gb files as they always did without issues for few months

I have cloudflare setup with traefik just as it was explained in the wiki. As I said I have had this setup for months and I never got any complains but since 2 weeks ago it buffers for them every few seconds.... Any idea of what could be the cause or how to resolve it?

thanks

Feb 23, 2018
I have a ex-42 in Finland I’m having no problems, it must be the clients they are running try to get them to lower the transcode settings

titooo7

Veteran
Original poster
Jul 31, 2018
I have a ex-42 in Finland I’m having no problems, it must be the clients they are running try to get them to lower the transcode settings
That's what I thought, because I wasn't having any issue with Firefox from London and my friends with buffering issues androidtv and lg webos plex app are in Spain. But just now I'm having issue too on Firefox. It's a real pain it buffers several times within a minute (just like they told me)

How mane friends are invited to your Ex42 Finnish Plex server? None of them reporting lot of buffering issues in the last 2 weeks then?

Last edited:

UncleBuck

Elite
Staff
Dec 21, 2018
There are definitely issues with Hetzer's Finland servers. I started a thread last week and am still having intermittent issues. Users have reported no issues in Germany so I am in the process now of switching to one of those servers.

H1f0x

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 1, 2019
Hi there,
I've got issues with the same server located in FIN as well.. Going to analyse this a bit further.. the issues started aprox. 1 week ago.

Cheers

titooo7

Veteran
Original poster
Jul 31, 2018
Well, at least we know it's not an user issue. We all have probably different clients, setups and so on but we all started to face the buffering issues around 1-2 weeks ago and only with the Hetzner servers located in Finland.

I contacted Hetzner asking if they were aware of any network issues, but as expected they claim they aren't having any. They asked me the following:
Please use a program such as MTR to send us traces over 1000 packets in both directions (client -> server; server -> client) for the problematic connection during the time in which the issue occurs.
Our network department requests both traces (client -> server and server -> client) to make a qualified analysis of your problematic case.

So today I will try to see if I know how to do what.

Are you guys using also CF to route your traffic? I'm not an expert but since I didn't change my setup and client players for months I will try to change the CF clouds from grey to orange just as another user suggested me in the discord channel.

Let's keep everyone updated with our findings or if everything goes back to normal without doing any change

Reactions: 1 user

H1f0x

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 1, 2019
Same here, i just contacted them and got the same thing back. I will do it tonight and check the results. Hmm how can i change the settings from the default one? Can we set this in the settings menu? not sure..

Trasher

Experienced
Jan 23, 2018
Me and my friends using my plex server have been having the same problems for a few weeks, and we are all living in Finland, approx 50km from the datacenter. However, the connections are routed through germany so maybe a fish have been chewing on the cable between Finland and Germany?:unsure:

H1f0x

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 1, 2019
Ok, so i think a lot of users are affected. Please raise tickets with Hetzner to make them aware. Otherwise they will not act fast enough :(

titooo7

Veteran
Original poster
Jul 31, 2018
Me and my friends using my plex server have been having the same problems for a few weeks, and we are all living in Finland, approx 50km from the datacenter. However, the connections are routed through germany so maybe a fish have been chewing on the cable between Finland and Germany?:unsure:
So your Hetzner is located in Finland or Germany?
Are you using Cloudflare to route your traffic also?

Anyway it seems clear that something is going on between Hetzner and Finland... All of us having issues all of the sudden since 1 or 2 weeks ago can't be a coincidence.

Contact Hetzner please so they can be aware that it's affecting different customers and not only 1 or 2

Trasher

Experienced
Jan 23, 2018
So your Hetzner is located in Finland or Germany?
Are you using Cloudflare to route your traffic also?

Anyway it seems clear that something is going on between Hetzner and Finland... All of us having issues all of the sudden since 1 or 2 weeks ago can't be a coincidence.

Contact Hetzner please so they can be aware that it's affecting different customers and not only 1 or 2
It is located in Finland, but the traffic gets routed through Germany. Tried with and without cloudflare. I will!

timmeh

Experienced+
Feb 14, 2019
Buffering issues on mine too. Mine's in Germany. Unwatchable.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
i have two in germany and work fine.

Reactions: 1 users

UncleBuck

Elite
Staff
Dec 21, 2018
My Germany server has been working incredibly well for months now. I am in Texas which notoriously has horrible peering issues with servers not in North America.

timmeh

Experienced+
Feb 14, 2019
Hmmm... ok. Does anyone know what the key troubleshooting tips are?
It's buffering heavily on all players apart from web player and iOS. But doesn't work on TV or Media Player apps.

Current versions are:
Web App: Version 4.8.3
Server: Version 1.18.1.1973
Sony Android 8.0 TV
Plex Player: 7.23.0.13123

Have read around and noticed some people getting API errors due to RClone Settings:

⏫ Upload Settings Default Current
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
[1] BW Limit [0M]
[2] Drive-Chunk-Size 64M [128M]
[3] Transfers 8 [8]
[4] Max-Transfer 750G [750G]

⏬ Download Settings Default Current
[5] Buffer-Size 16M [16M]
[6] VFS-Read-Chunk-Size 64M [64M]
[7] VFS-Read-Chunk-Size-Limit 1024M [1024M]

? VFS Cache Mode Settings Default Current
[8] VFS-Cache-Mode writes [writes]
[9] VFS-Cache-Max-Age 1h [1h]
[10] VFS-Cache-Max-Size 100G [off]

? Misc Settings Default Current
[11] Dir-Cache-Time 5m [5m]
[12] Log-Level NOTICE [NOTICE]
[13] User Agent [rclone/v1.48]

Have I done something wrong here?

That aside, like you guys, I have it setup on the Cloudflare CDN, working without any issues for months.

My speedtest comes out at 280 MBPs from home.

Nothing has changed. Bewildered and perplexed.

Last edited:

matt314159

Experienced+
Donor
Nov 29, 2018
the thing I always monitor is the transport bandwidth between Hetzner and my home network, so checking the speedtest to your server would be my first thought. Are you getting reasonable numbers?

timmeh

Experienced+
Feb 14, 2019
Yeah 280mbps. The same it was last night when streaming 4k.

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending