Any contabo VPS Review? | PlexGuide.com

Any contabo VPS Review?

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

gnolasco92

Experienced
Original poster
Mar 12, 2018
Hello guys,

I want if somebody here it's using contabo VPS as Media Server?
How are they in terms of specs?
It's really unlimited or get downgraded at some point?

Thanks in advance

neik

Experienced
Feb 5, 2018
I know someone who is very happy with it. I intend to give it a shot in the next week or two.
Would you have the possibility to run GeekBench 4 on it? I would be quite interested in it as their price is pretty good for the specs they offer.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
Ya never used :(

barryclamsworth

Governer
Donor
Feb 2, 2018
Hey Neik, contact Lex on the discord or see if you can find him here, I don't know how to search for members - he has the contabo server.

Reactions: 1 user

timetrex

Elite
Staff
Oct 22, 2018
I'm testing the contabo VPS server now. Been fine installing plexguide, and I have only just started uploading stuff to gdrive, just over a tb now. I'm just direct playing everything to my client ( Nvidia shield) plays fine. No buffering of any sorts.

The only thing I noticed the VPS throttle d slightly when it was converting audio to ac3. It buffered a few times. I think for direct playing or if you convert your media to MP4 Dolby, then it will be fine.

My setup I have a seedbox with feral, all the apps , Plex installed on the VPS. Having to manually run and move stuff with rclone to gdrive. Plex and raddar, sonnarr pointed to unionfs path. Have ombi installed as well with jackett for downloading from torrents.

vpatel9202

Citizen+
Sep 22, 2018
Using a VPS-M from Contabo right now and it's been pretty good so far. I have Sonarr/Radarr doing MP4 remuxes as it downloads and it's been holding up. The only problem is that the HDD space becomes a bottleneck so I have NZBGet setup to pause downloading when there is <75GB of free space left and it resumes every 3 hours. If PG is done moving things to GDrive by then, it'll keep downloading, otherwise it will pause itself again for another 3 hours.

Not the most elegant solution, but it works. I imagine this would be less of a problem once my library is built back up and I'm only downloading a couple things at time (currently have 6 TB in queue).

gnolasco92

Experienced
Original poster
Mar 12, 2018
Using a VPS-M from Contabo right now and it's been pretty good so far. I have Sonarr/Radarr doing MP4 remuxes as it downloads and it's been holding up. The only problem is that the HDD space becomes a bottleneck so I have NZBGet setup to pause downloading when there is <75GB of free space left and it resumes every 3 hours. If PG is done moving things to GDrive by then, it'll keep downloading, otherwise it will pause itself again for another 3 hours.

Not the most elegant solution, but it works. I imagine this would be less of a problem once my library is built back up and I'm only downloading a couple things at time (currently have 6 TB in queue).
Thanks for this review, right now i get unlimited bandwith and going well so far, can you tell whats the benefit of converting to MP4? Is there any advantage?

timetrex

Elite
Staff
Oct 22, 2018
The advantage is that you dont need to worry about the client not supporting mp4. Pretty much it is accepted format by most devices. so your plex server will rarely transcode.

My case i just leave it as it is. Server really only or myself at present, streaming to nvidia shield. direct play x2264/x265 .

gnolasco92

Experienced
Original poster
Mar 12, 2018
The advantage is that you dont need to worry about the client not supporting mp4. Pretty much it is accepted format by most devices. so your plex server will rarely transcode.

My case i just leave it as it is. Server really only or myself at present, streaming to nvidia shield. direct play x2264/x265 .
Ok so by this way transcode its not needed?, any quality loss?

timetrex

Elite
Staff
Oct 22, 2018
changing to mp4 there is no loss of video quality, The audio will probably change to ac3 in most cases. so its really up to yourself if you want to change media to mp4. It's becoming more unnecessary as most new media devices now support various formats including hevc. so just direct play everything,

gnolasco92

Experienced
Original poster
Mar 12, 2018
changing to mp4 there is no loss of video quality, The audio will probably change to ac3 in most cases. so its really up to yourself if you want to change media to mp4. It's becoming more unnecessary as most new media devices now support various formats including hevc. so just direct play everything,
OK thank you for the details

vpatel9202

Citizen+
Sep 22, 2018
Ok so by this way transcode its not needed?, any quality loss?
Depends on what you're starting with. If you have an h264 video in mkv container, it's just a matter of copying it into an mp4 container and doing a couple things with the audio streams and subtitle streams which is is pretty quick. Not sure on the details on exactly what's being done as Sickbeard MP4 Automator basically takes care of all of it.

If the video is encoded by anything other than h264, it actually needs to transcode which might lead to quality loss and take a long time, especially on a VPS like the one I have.

As for why I decided to make MP4--I share my Plex lib with a bunch of friends so I don't want multiple streams to grind to a halt if someone is transcoding. It's just a matter of making it into a format that can be direct-played or direct-streamed for the largest number of people. Even then, I end up have a transcode every now and then, but it's a lot less than if I were to skip the conversion altogether.

Feb 23, 2018
I’m in the uk I have a hetzner dedi thinking of changing to a Contabo vps, I have 4 users on my plex will this work and what is it like to run

Porkie

Experienced+
Staff
Aug 9, 2018
I tried a Contabo vps last week, it looks good on paper but I find Hetzner much better. With Contabo I noticed a lot of cpu steal around 30% while looking at Netdata which seems to slow things down quite a lot I found.

Porkie

Experienced+
Staff
Aug 9, 2018
Look at the other graph below that where is shows you what resources taking cpu time amounts etc. Also look while its under load. I saw it when using usenet.

timetrex

Elite
Staff
Oct 22, 2018
I noticed issues last night with vps on Contabo. High CPU usage, couldnt navigate to any sites , struggled to ssh in. Reboots done nothing. only real process of note was rclone but it appears to be something on the host. Back to normal now but i was actually considering going to Heztner instead. I'll monitor this until the end of the month.

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending