Anyone figure out Xteve yet?

markinitdown

Original poster
Local time
1:04 PM
Oct 28, 2018
I believe I have gone through every post here and on Google about using Xteve with PGblitz, same thing with Telly. Unfortunately in the end it seems the community edition xteve for pgblitz does not open the ports on Portguard, so I found this post

remove your xteve using pg removal and add this yml to /opt/mycontainers

then use plexguide to install it menu 5 2 1 you should see it in the list just deploy same as normal

then use domain:34400/web
That had a file attachment with an xteve-custom.yml file. Loaded that up, worked great. xtevecustom.domain.xyz worked perfect, xteve.domain.xyz/web loaded up but gave me an error.
No websocket connection to xTeVe could be established. Check your network configuration.
Not sure where to go from here, checked logs through portainer and it shows everything working fine. Only thing I can think of is the settings I have with cloudflare to have it as a CDN for plex but not sure. Any help is much appreciated.
I did try Jellyfin but it just doesn't seem up to snuff yet, plus they are having issues with the Android TV app not being able to play Live tv well enough.

vFlagR

Respected Member
Staff
Local time
8:04 PM
Aug 27, 2018
Glasgow, Scotland
I've never used xTeve but if the custom yml from the post you linked is required to get it to run through PgBlitz then it should be merged in to the version that's deployed with Pg.

I'll take a look tomorrow at the config and open a merge request after some testing.

markinitdown

Original poster
Local time
Oct 28, 2018
Are you also using PGShield?
I am.

I've never used xTeve but if the custom yml from the post you linked is required to get it to run through PgBlitz then it should be merged in to the version that's deployed with Pg.

I'll take a look tomorrow at the config and open a merge request after some testing.
Agreed. It does work fine, the websocket portion I am unsure about though. And unfortunately I do not enough about docker to figure out why it's giving me that error.

As an added piece, I did look into the docker container and it is connected to the plexguide network. I thought it might be the Brave browser blocking it but tried on FF and chrome and same issue arose.

TechButton

Staff
Local time
2:04 PM
Mar 12, 2018
Rochester, MN
Did you try to connect to xsteve with the ip address:port and not the url? I wrote the original xsteve community app, but I think it was modified from my version. I had to use the IP and I had it working with IP only. I am not currently using xsteve, so I can't help with what is currently going on, but I can mess with it again and help if needed

markinitdown

Original poster
Local time
Oct 28, 2018
@TechButton That would be greatly appreciated. Been trying to get some live tv going for a while now. Messed with Jellyfin but I don't like how you have to password protect all users. Otherwise anyone can just login.
So now I'm back to xteve and Plex but still having issues. I did try the IP but haven't tried it with ports open, going to do that now.

b4r7

Local time
9:04 PM
Mar 27, 2019
Hi, can anyone please just merge the custom yml to the community app?

markinitdown

Original poster
Local time
Oct 28, 2018
@b4r7 It easy to run the custom yml through pgblitz. download the file, move it to /opt/mycontainers. Run pgblitz and hit 5>2>1, then type xteve-custom.
The problem is that even with the custom file it still doesn't work, at least for me. I've tried ports open, closed, tried just the IP, just domain.com:34400/web

I believe I have tried everything suggested. The xteve file provided by PGblitz "works" in that i can get the main page to show up, but it throws an error:
No websocket connection to xTeVe could be established. Check your network configuration.
So it "is" workig, but the websocket portion makes it fail. And unfortunately I do not know enough to help fix it.

NextGen

Patron
Local time
3:04 PM
Nov 9, 2018
Did you try to connect to xsteve with the ip address:port and not the url? I wrote the original xsteve community app, but I think it was modified from my version. I had to use the IP and I had it working with IP only. I am not currently using xsteve, so I can't help with what is currently going on, but I can mess with it again and help if needed
If you get this working again, Please let me know! I would truly appreciate it. - Jayce

b4r7

Local time
9:04 PM
Mar 27, 2019
@b4r7 It easy to run the custom yml through pgblitz. download the file, move it to /opt/mycontainers. Run pgblitz and hit 5>2>1, then type xteve-custom.
Yeah i know how that works =) i just cant understand why nobody merges it as the community app clearly does not work and the custom one does... at least for some ppl.

pakira

Donor
Local time
10:04 PM
May 4, 2018
The error "No websocket connection to xTeVe could be established. Check your network configuration" that is blocking the use of xteve.domain is due to an error in xteve (github issue tracking: https://github.com/xteve-project/xTeVe/issues/42).
I have been running xteve with IP:34400/web url and using this docker https://github.com/bl0m1/xtevedocker docker. Bonus, I added https://github.com/schwifty42069/pmg to feed xteve with US tv channel (tuto: https://sites.google.com/view/piptv-plex/home). It is pretty stable and i have been able to record with plex.

justinglock40

Respected Member
Local time
May 27, 2018
If you have PGShield up you, can temporarily install FireFox in the community apps to access the xTeve install via "xteve:344000/web" to do you setup and filter and everything and then uninstall firefox for security sake until the reverse proxy issues are worked through.

pakira

Donor
Local time
May 4, 2018
If you have PGShield up you, can temporarily install FireFox in the community apps to access the xTeve install via "xteve:344000/web" to do you setup and filter and everything and then uninstall firefox for security sake until the reverse proxy issues are worked through.
Thanks will try that

UncleBuck

Staff
Local time
Dec 21, 2018
Houston, TX
I just started tyrying to get xteve to work and this thread has been very helpful. I opened my ports and was able to configure xteve with a 48 hour trial of helix. I also deployed firefox and am able to reach the xteve locally. Once xteve was configured I was able to add it to plex and have it recognized as a tuner. Plex then asks me to perform a channel scan but it fails to do so with the error message "No channels found. Make sure your device has a signal from your antenna and try scanning again. ". I chose PMS during the xteve configuration. Anyone know what I am missing here?

pakira

Donor
Local time
May 4, 2018
I just started tyrying to get xteve to work and this thread has been very helpful. I opened my ports and was able to configure xteve with a 48 hour trial of helix. I also deployed firefox and am able to reach the xteve locally. Once xteve was configured I was able to add it to plex and have it recognized as a tuner. Plex then asks me to perform a channel scan but it fails to do so with the error message "No channels found. Make sure your device has a signal from your antenna and try scanning again. ". I chose PMS during the xteve configuration. Anyone know what I am missing here?
You might need to restart plex docker. It happened to me few times. Plex and its tv guide download are a bit difficult at the beginning.

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

UncleBuck

Staff
Local time
Dec 21, 2018
Houston, TX
You might need to restart plex docker. It happened to me few times. Plex and its tv guide download are a bit difficult at the beginning.
Thanks, restarting plex got me past that point. I ended up changing the xteve setting to xpeg and put the xpeg url into plex for the guide. Now no matter what I do the guide never loads.

friedrice

Donor
Local time
7:04 AM
Jul 24, 2019
Okay,
I made some progress in setting up xteve with Plex but sadly, have now been stopped in my tracks.

Steps Taken

1. install firefox
reason: couldn't access via xteve.[mydomain].com - thanks for the earlier tip, guys

2. navigated to [mydomainip]:34400/web/

3. downloaded my m3u file to PC
note: i proceeded to fail several times to load m3u URL via the xteve setup. "permission denied"

4. uploaded m3u files to /opt/appdata/xteve/temp
note: that location translates to "/tmp/xteve" in xteve-speak.

5. told xteve setup to locate m3u at /tmp/xteve/[myfile].m3u

6. told xteve to use PMS for EPG data

7. opened Plex & commenced dvr setup

8. provided dvr address as: xteve:34400 and clicked continued
note: trying any other ip or domain failed for me

when prompted for EPG location, provided xmltv url and continued
note: plex will now build the guide. this takes a while depending on # channels

10. we now have an EPG with channels
channels.png

Roadblock

Sadly, not one channel actually plays

playback error.png

Assumptions

1. xteve lacks permission to download a playlist/m3u to the server
This appears to prevent updating of m3u and streaming of content.

2. possible comms issue between xteve and Plex
when i click on dvr settings in Plex, it now offers the below error:

dvr not found.png
it would seem the connection i established at #8 isn't a 'lasting' one.

Solutions

Nil?? Beyond my capabilities.

pakira

Donor
Local time
May 4, 2018
Okay,
I made some progress in setting up xteve with Plex but sadly, have now been stopped in my tracks.

Steps Taken

1. install firefox
reason: couldn't access via xteve.[mydomain].com - thanks for the earlier tip, guys

2. navigated to [mydomainip]:34400/web/

3. downloaded my m3u file to PC
note: i proceeded to fail several times to load m3u URL via the xteve setup. "permission denied"

4. uploaded m3u files to /opt/appdata/xteve/temp
note: that location translates to "/tmp/xteve" in xteve-speak.

5. told xteve setup to locate m3u at /tmp/xteve/[myfile].m3u

6. told xteve to use PMS for EPG data

7. opened Plex & commenced dvr setup

8. provided dvr address as: xteve:34400 and clicked continued
note: trying any other ip or domain failed for me

when prompted for EPG location, provided xmltv url and continued
note: plex will now build the guide. this takes a while depending on # channels

10. we now have an EPG with channels
View attachment 3697

Roadblock

Sadly, not one channel actually plays

View attachment 3696

Assumptions

1. xteve lacks permission to download a playlist/m3u to the server
This appears to prevent updating of m3u and streaming of content.

2. possible comms issue between xteve and Plex
when i click on dvr settings in Plex, it now offers the below error:

View attachment 3695
it would seem the connection i established at #8 isn't a 'lasting' one.

Solutions

Nil?? Beyond my capabilities.
Use streaming via detect. Will send you a screenshot later.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.