Discussion - Black friday at Hetzner | PlexGuide.com

Discussion Black friday at Hetzner

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

bubbadk

Governer
Original poster
Staff
Mar 18, 2018
Hi guys.

right now they are offering New servers without setup fees :)

blackfriday.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

DHRP

Noobz
Nov 19, 2019
Im not seeing the black friday deal on hetzner, anyone have a link or anything?

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018

meteo

Experienced
Staff
Nov 6, 2018
thanks for the heads up matey!
might spin up a ryzen to play with.

Reactions: 1 user

matt314159

Experienced+
Donor
Nov 29, 2018
Dont forget to keep your eye out this year for Black Friday!
Not sure if this is too off-topic, but I've got the EX42-NVME because at the time I wanted nothing but speed. Eight months later, It's gotten common that my users queue up enough downloads that my queue has to pause to keep my 1TB of SSDs from getting too full so the requests aren't automatically met quickly, or I try to add something to watch soon and have to wait. I was actually thinking I might rather switch to the one with 2x4TB HDD and then just let the extracting and stuff take longer, but at least I'd have a much larger buffer before it had to stop the queue.

Any thoughts? Would I just be sorry that things take so long to extract and process? Is there a better "sweet spot" deal than EX-42 I should look at? I pay €34.00 monthly which is kind of the highest I'm willing to go. My helsinki server came with an i7-7700 instead of 6700 and I'm super happy with it other than the bottleneck of the small SSD capacity. Thoughts?

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
What on earth are you doing that fills 1TB on PG? Look at what's using the space, with symmetrical gigabit and a decent CPU/1TB SSD you should have zero issues - I manage quite nicely on 120GB for a feeder.

matt314159

Experienced+
Donor
Nov 29, 2018
What on earth are you doing that fills 1TB on PG? Look at what's using the space, with symmetrical gigabit and a decent CPU/1TB SSD you should have zero issues - I manage quite nicely on 120GB for a feeder.
it's the 750GB/day upload limit that bites me since i'm using pgmove not blitz. It's usually because I allow my 10 users to request TV series. When all is quiet and my server is clear, I have about 700GB of free space available. So data comes in at 100MB/s and leaves at 9MB/s. They aren't downloading 100% of the time but enough that a few times a week my free space fills up and annoys me. if I had 8TB to work with, it would give me a lot more headroom before that problem happened (though if it did holy crap that would take a long time to clear out). I got started in February and have my gdrive up to about 67TB.

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
it's the 750GB/day upload limit that bites me since i'm using pgmove not blitz. It's usually because I allow my 10 users to request TV series. When all is quiet and my server is clear, I have about 700GB of free space available. So data comes in at 100MB/s and leaves at 9MB/s. They aren't downloading 100% of the time but enough that a few times a week my free space fills up and annoys me. if I had 8TB to work with, it would give me a lot more headroom before that problem happened (though if it did holy crap that would take a long time to clear out). I got started in February and have my gdrive up to about 67TB.
So it's not a hardware issue at all, it's a software config issue. Move to Blitz (its easy and you'll wonder why you didn't do it earlier), or uncap the upload with move, limit the download client quota if you want to stay under 750GB.

matt314159

Experienced+
Donor
Nov 29, 2018
Move to Blitz (its easy and you'll wonder why you didn't do it earlier)
I deployed it last night and HOLY COW! You're right it was straightforward and simple and the only reason it took me 30 minutes to deploy is that I got some project keys mixed up and did it after I had already popped two Tylenol PM's.

It's so crazy to see how quickly stuff flies out into my team drive now.

Is it normal to have the PG Move service still rate-limited to 10MB/s or is that a vestige of my old deployment that I should revise?

chrisl106

Citizen+
Mar 14, 2018
Gonna get an EX42 NVME myself on black friday if they have the same deal of no setup fees. Definitely use blitz rather than move if you need to upload more!

Jjjuhguy80

Noobz
Oct 3, 2019
Not sure if this is too off-topic, but I've got the EX42-NVME because at the time I wanted nothing but speed. Eight months later, It's gotten common that my users queue up enough downloads that my queue has to pause to keep my 1TB of SSDs from getting too full so the requests aren't automatically met quickly, or I try to add something to watch soon and have to wait. I was actually thinking I might rather switch to the one with 2x4TB HDD and then just let the extracting and stuff take longer, but at least I'd have a much larger buffer before it had to stop the queue.

Any thoughts? Would I just be sorry that things take so long to extract and process? Is there a better "sweet spot" deal than EX-42 I should look at? I pay €34.00 monthly which is kind of the highest I'm willing to go. My helsinki server came with an i7-7700 instead of 6700 and I'm super happy with it other than the bottleneck of the small SSD capacity. Thoughts?
Off topic too, but I'd love to see how all this is architecturally put together. Could you kindly send me a diagram? Looking to move everything to the cloud soon. TIA :)

kamos69

Experienced+
Donor
Apr 22, 2018

I was in a similar situation, I switched to Blitz and haven't looked back. Also keep in mind that moving to HDD from SDD will have a significant effect on start times for streams. You're looking at 15s-20s start times on HDD vs 3s-5s on SSD. If you need any assistance or questions about moving to Blitz, please feel free to DM me.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
Gonna get an EX42 NVME myself on black friday if they have the same deal of no setup fees. Definitely use blitz rather than move if you need to upload more!
you know the obsession never ends

Koifisch

Citizen
Oct 19, 2019
I was hoping they would offer a week of free setup again, but so far no offer. Maybe we will get something different on Friday? I cannot wait to get a new server...

d3vilsown

Citizen+
Patron
Nov 27, 2019
First of all i'm new to this board, so hello to all of you ;-) Which hetzner server would you recommend for a total of 10 users with probably 6 streams at the same time (direct play / no transcoding). Is there a reason to choose intel instead of amd or is it just personal preference? thanks
Post automatically merged:

Thank you for the detailed answer and the link. :)

Last edited:

deva5610

Experienced
Donor
May 1, 2019
This thread has some good posts about that.

I moved from the EX62 (i9-9900k) to the AX41 (Ryzen 5 3600) (with a similar play profile to you, except I have a few transcodes). It's a beast of a machine for the price, basically the same performance as the i9-9900k for half the price. It's especially good if you plan on running a full suite of apps on the same box.

If you're going to have lots of transcodes, or expect to in the future then the Intel servers are better with their hardware transcoding support. It's the only time I'd choose an EX42 over the AX41 at the same price.

If there's going to be 4k transcoding (only transcoding, direct play is fine on any) you'd need one of the higher end Intel servers - something like the EX62.

ShawnMurica

Citizen
Donor
Mar 19, 2019
I’m debating to get the ex-42 from Hetzner or the sys-bf-2 from SoYouStart

I have an auction server from Hetnzer Germany and a Kimsufi Canada now and the Hetzner buffers during peak time while the kimsufi direct plays the same show. Not sure if it because it’s an auction just bad peering to Ottawa, Canada.

I have 6 family members on the box and they often transcode. No idea why.

Any Canadians with similar setups??

matt314159

Experienced+
Donor
Nov 29, 2018
I used to suffer from bad peering which caused slowdowns during peak hours, but then I set up Cloudflare as a CDN for Plex per the wiki instructions and it's an order of magnitude better now, I can direct stream UHD remuxes now during peak times and those often have a sustained bitrate >100mb/s.

So check that out before you give up on hetzner.

ShawnMurica

Citizen
Donor
Mar 19, 2019
Thanks Matt.
Ya I have setup CloudFlare on both of my setups. Still having issues. I’m also kinda of a newb when it comes to this. I’ve followed every wiki to a tee and except for this speed issue it runs perfectly.

ShawnMurica

Citizen
Donor
Mar 19, 2019
Oh. Thank you so much. So I missed two things. Didn’t have the https only had http for some reason. and still had remote enabled.
purging cache now and will see tonight. Hopefully it works. Gonna most likely buy a ex42 tomorrow if the price is right.

Last edited:

matt314159

Experienced+
Donor
Nov 29, 2018
Good luck! My problems completely disappeared and with a little luck maybe yours will too. The hetzner servers are a great value if you can work around their quirks.

Koifisch

Citizen
Oct 19, 2019
Today Hetzner took their EX42 servers located in Germany out of their offer and increased the prices for the Helsinki variant, one day before black friday. As someone living in southern Germany, I'm very disappointed, as I was waiting to get that server for weeks. Does anyone know of a competitive alternative in Germany?

Also if anyone has a server with them in Helsinki, I would be very thankful if I could quickly test the speeds to southern Germany.

ShawnMurica

Citizen
Donor
Mar 19, 2019
Oh that sucks. I too was waiting for Black Friday to pick up one. Guess I’m going with SYS and their 250mb limit for more $$. :(

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending