Plex - Careful with new Plex "skip TV intro feature" - scanning for intros appears to max out GDrive API download quota | PlexGuide.com

Plex Careful with new Plex "skip TV intro feature" - scanning for intros appears to max out GDrive API download quota

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

timekills

VIP
Original poster
Staff
Donor
Sep 12, 2018
PG Related
No
Server Type
Dedicated Remote
Hit the Google Drive download max quota today for the first time. Checked to make sure nothing was inadvertently shared or open to public access, Radarr/Sonarr/etc weren't changed to do scans, music folders weren't scanning..WTH?

Only thing that's changed is the two Plex servers I have that both point to the same team drive were updated with the new Plex server allowing automated bypass of TV show intros.
Great feature, right?

Ooops.

Check your Library settings (under "Settings") and see what the new portion for "Generate intro video markers" is set to.
By default it is set to "as a scheduled task and when media is added."
I am fairly certain that is the cause; it probably started scanning my 1000s of TV shows, and each one counts as a download by Google's API.

I'd recommend setting it to "Never" - which of course defeats the capability. If you really want to use it, you can probably let it run and somehow stop it after a short bit (maybe set it back to never and restart the Plex Docker) over a period of days to ensure you don't exceed the quota.

Once it's done with the initial scans, the addition of TV shows probably won't hit the limit.

But for now, I'm setting it to "Never" until we work the kinks out.

*Update*
For reference, I usually get ~1.5 million API requests/month.
I was over 12K in the past hour. That math extrapolated would be ~8.8 million API hits in a month.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

pballs

Citizen+
Raffle Winner
Feb 12, 2020
i wondered if that would hit the API limits - nice write up and thanks for the warning!

six106ten

Noobz
Aug 14, 2019
Thanks for the heads up. Would be better if there was an “When media is added”-only option.

Reactions: 1 user

Xployt

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Sep 26, 2018
@timekills cheers for the post.

What was your download api limit? Can you post or PM a screenshot of your API metric graphics/results. Say for that day? From the Quotas tab and metric tab.
With the mouse preferably hovering over that day.

Thanking you.

Hitsville

Citizen+
Donor
Oct 25, 2018
I just wanted to add that I am now at around 48 hours non stop scanning intros without a single issue with the Google API.

Reactions: 2 users

rcarteraz

Veteran
Donor
Nov 14, 2018
I didn't even know about this until I was in the settings and saw a task running "Scanning Intros" and had to look it up. I promptly set it to never as well as I don't want to risk an API ban.

jim2fast4u

Citizen+
Jul 12, 2018
I am going back to this as I originally hit an API ban out of nowhere and realised they released this by default on. I have several Plex installations heading back to the same account and I believe this is why I was banned.

a reply above from Hitsville states they were scanning for o long period of time and I'm guessing no issue with one instance.
I just wanted to add that I am now at around 48 hours non stop scanning intros without a single issue with the Google API.

To do a bit of testing, I have modified my scheduled task time to 1am - 1am assuming this will not really run much of a task. 9Please correct me if I'm wrong)

I have manually launched a season scan of 44 40min episodes and it looks to be taking close to an hour. At this rate I would think it would work fine and this would allow over an extended period all to be completed if I then expanded the scheduled maintenance time. The issue I foresee may be when we are adding a new show with several seasons and you have the scan added media enabled.

Thoughts?

Reactions: 1 users

Hitsville

Citizen+
Donor
Oct 25, 2018
I would be really surprised if you had any issues.
Like @timekills I have two servers pointing to the same mount using the same credentials. I mostly deal in Remuxes including 4K.
My 160TB of media all have VP thumbs generated in Plex and these were still generating when Skip Intro's were introduced.

Capture.PNG

Now the VP thumbs are complete and I guess going forward they will mostly generate on the Hetzner before the files are uploaded to Google.
Skip Intro's are still creating as they have been since launch. But if the API can cope with generating VP thumbs for 4K and 1080p Remuxes whilst simultaneously analyzing skip intro's you should be safe.
Rclone has come a long way since the days when such things caused bans.

pazler2k18

Experienced
Jul 4, 2018
i enabled the skip intro's last week. and it killed my API. from what i know it does a full analyze of the file. which is classed as downloading it. so you hit API limit. and can also hit DL limit too.

Hitsville

Citizen+
Donor
Oct 25, 2018
from what i know it does a full analyze of the file
It actually analyzes to a certain point 10 or 15 minutes I believe, then assumes there are no intro's. Unlike VP thumbs which does analyze the whole file.
Beyond that I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps PG just does something different to the setup I switched to.

pazler2k18

Experienced
Jul 4, 2018
It actually analyzes to a certain point 10 or 15 minutes I believe, then assumes there are no intro's. Unlike VP thumbs which does analyze the whole file.
Beyond that I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps PG just does something different to the setup I switched to.
it just the guys i know. when they enabled the intro. they got API hits. and 2 of them got DL limit. even tho no 1 was watching that day. i have it disabled for time being. until there if a fix to stop the API limit

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
It shouldnt
I would be really surprised if you had any issues.
Like @timekills I have two servers pointing to the same mount using the same credentials. I mostly deal in Remuxes including 4K.
My 160TB of media all have VP thumbs generated in Plex and these were still generating when Skip Intro's were introduced.

View attachment 4754

Now the VP thumbs are complete and I guess going forward they will mostly generate on the Hetzner before the files are uploaded to Google.
Skip Intro's are still creating as they have been since launch. But if the API can cope with generating VP thumbs for 4K and 1080p Remuxes whilst simultaneously analyzing skip intro's you should be safe.
Rclone has come a long way since the days when such things caused bans.
If you have your vfs chunk max size set to high, you may hit the dl limit. But you should be able to scan around the clock without hitting the limits. One thing i have done, i have thumbs and intros on for when media is added and as a scheduled task, but i set my scheduled task window to only be one hour long. This essentially ensures all new media gets thumbs and scans and only does an hour of back log a night, since i dont really care about the legacy content.

jim2fast4u

Citizen+
Jul 12, 2018
Well thanks everyone. This seems to be contentious. I will head down the 1 hour maintenance cycle for a while and see what happens.

interesting the VFS chunk size I have set is large to cope with 4K content playback. The lower settings caused ongoing buffering.

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
Well thanks everyone. This seems to be contentious. I will head down the 1 hour maintenance cycle for a while and see what happens.

interesting the VFS chunk size I have set is large to cope with 4K content playback. The lower settings caused ongoing buffering.
Not the vfs chunk size, the vfs max chunk size

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending