Discussion channelx Supercharging Jellyfin: .strm straight from google drive.

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Original poster
Staff
Local time
12:33 AM
Jun 14, 2018
If you have/add multiple audio files, does the STRM codec default to the first track, the track set as "default" or the first compatible stream? I could see any one of those three options as working, but it would impact how I remux the files.

BTW, there is a web-based GUI for MKVToolNix in the user apps section. It works very well for either removing or adding audio streams, and marking them as the default stream. Works right on the server now without any downloading.
Yeah the STRM file basically shuvs the actual file in your player/browser so it is what you set as default audiotrack in your file. As for .mkv's, I started encoding and muxing them to mp4 instead of mkv. that format is more suitable for streaming and is more ocmpatible with hardware since it's more of a standard format. Some groups do a sloppy job in muxing to .mkv. They enable extra compression on it and some clients have trouble reading those files. Even google doesn't see those files as video files but docs. I noticed because some of my mkv's that were AMZN rips were transcoded and some had the blue document icon. MKV has it's advantages but not in the streaming area. You can mux in image based subtitle formats such as SUP and VOB but they are larger in size then text based formats such as SRT and VTT. Also, they sometimes require transcoding depending on what you play the file on. Text based formats are more comon and more widely supported. So in the end, MP4 is still the best option if you want to stream like a maniac. OH and for audio, I use AAC. DD and DD+ have their limitations where AAC has less and has a very optimal compression qulaity ratio. The biggest benefit is that it can support upto 48 channels of audio so is very suitable for those DTSHD-MA and TrueHD 7.1 audio conversions. AAC audio is also widely supported on browsers so if you want to play it back on that. So in the end, more then enough reasons to switch to compatible and optimized files.

Reactions: Smigou

Teflocarbon

Donor
Local time
10:33 AM
Feb 6, 2019
If you have/add multiple audio files, does the STRM codec default to the first track, the track set as "default" or the first compatible stream? I could see any one of those three options as working, but it would impact how I remux the files.

BTW, there is a web-based GUI for MKVToolNix in the user apps section. It works very well for either removing or adding audio streams, and marking them as the default stream. Works right on the server now without any downloading.
Google can transcode the files for you to MP4 AAC. However its hit and miss.
It misses half the content it cant detect properly (if you see 'We're transcoding this file' for very long then it means its undetectable.
This is anything with H265 and other certain formats.

Google Transcoding only goes for the first audio track too.
This is sometimes the commentary track.
I'll take a look at MKVToolNix.

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Original poster
Staff
Local time
Jun 14, 2018
Google can transcode the files for you to MP4 AAC. However its hit and miss.
It misses half the content it cant detect properly (if you see 'We're transcoding this file' for very long then it means its undetectable.
This is anything with H265 and other certain formats.

Google Transcoding only goes for the first audio track too.
This is sometimes the commentary track.
I'll take a look at MKVToolNix.
Yes exactly and it does sa hsorrible job at transcoding video too. It's why I make my encodes 1080p with AAC to begin with. I did also test with FP9 vor video and although that works quite well, it took very long to encode so I dropped it. for 720p and lower, the google transcodes are fine and the plugin can be set to use those too instead of have emby/jellyfin doing the transcoding.

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Original poster
Staff
Local time
Jun 14, 2018
what's that webui called?

timekills

Legendary Member
Staff
Donor
Local time
2:33 AM
Sep 12, 2018
what's that webui called?
If you're asking me, there are two I've uploaded to Community Apps which are relevant:
For MP4 editing: AVIDemux
For MKV editing: MKVToolNix

I also have Handbrake in a WebGUI format which is useful for creating/transcoding to either if you want to use your server for the CPU. Be aware that it is not yet using GPU to assist (either iGPU or dedicated) due to some challenges with the drivers porting through.

SirTranceALoT

Legendary Member
Original poster
Staff
Local time
Jun 14, 2018
If you're asking me, there are two I've uploaded to Community Apps which are relevant:
For MP4 editing: AVIDemux
For MKV editing: MKVToolNix

I also have Handbrake in a WebGUI format which is useful for creating/transcoding to either if you want to use your server for the CPU. Be aware that it is not yet using GPU to assist (either iGPU or dedicated) due to some challenges with the drivers porting through.
Yes I know about the handbrake webui but not a handbrake user xince I use a specific built of x264 for video and QAAC for audio encoding for my encodes. I encode all my plex encodes from either bluray disks or remux. For TV shows (I only use AMZN encodes as source for new shows) I use an ffmpg command to just transcode DDP (wich has dolby atmos embedded) to AAC. That last one is being worked on as we speak to do things automated and shuv it streight onto G or Tdrive, even grabbing the necesary info from IMDB and TMDB to make sure it lands correctly and named properly. I know mkvtoolnix. i have a long history in encoding hehe. I just didn't know there was a webui for it. For MP4 muxing and editing I use mp4box.

w1672993

Noob
Local time
6:33 PM
Jul 7, 2019
Any chance I can get a link to the github page? I'd really like to try this out. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Babiz

vinnync

Local time
Aug 23, 2019
Can anyone tell me where this is located? Seems like something I'd love to use.

watchmeexplode5

Local time
Jan 10, 2019

I'd post a tutorial but I didn't write it and am unsure if the owner wants it shared.

If you would like the full tutorial you should sign up at channelx.online - they are a stream friendly tracker run by SirTranceALot and they are open for registration for the next month!

Tutorial is in their forums with the method I think SirTanseALot uses.

Reactions: Babiz
Assists Greatly with Development Costs

dishjuarez

Respected Member
Local time
4:33 PM
Apr 24, 2018
Exactly. I don't use encryption either. In fact, google and all others KNOW people are storing illegal content, wether it's encrypted or not. They can't do anything about it since they'd invade your privacy if they did. And true, they don't know if you hold the rights or not. It would be a total different thing if you went and sell those files and yet, that also wouldn't be a problem if you pay the rights to every sold copy. And yeah, it takes too much time to encrypt or decrypt for that matter. I mean, if you watch the video's you can see a real speed gain in all of this. We also tested it in different regions. Still works like a charm so that's proof that it's beging geo located. Pretty neet I would say. No more worries about bad connections from EU to US.
Does it also work in EMBY?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SirTranceALoT Share Invites & Openings 28