Discussion - Cloudflare disabled one of my domains for violation of T's and C's | PlexGuide.com

Discussion Cloudflare disabled one of my domains for violation of T's and C's

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

kamos69

Experienced+
Original poster
Donor
Apr 22, 2018
As the title states, Cloudflare has disabled my domain due to violation of their T's and C's. This is the email I got:

Cloudflare has deactivated your website, [MYDOMAIN], because of a possible violation of the Terms of Service for the storage or caching of non-HTML content, such as video or audio files.

Going forward, visitors will access your website directly at the hosting origin server. As a result, your site won’t benefit from the performance and security benefits that Cloudflare provides. Learn more about the Cloudflare Terms of Service. https://www.cloudflare.com/terms

If you have any questions, email us at [email protected].

Thank you for using Cloudflare.

The Cloudflare Team
My page rules are explicit, I bypass caching:

1575891373972.png

I checked my analytics and I'm not caching ANYTHING:

1575891471332.png

This is a suspension, so it's only 7 days but it's still frustrating. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what can be done to avoid it?

EDIT: I contacted Cloudflare support and they advised that I violated section 2.8 of the terms:

2.8 Limitation on Non-HTML Caching The Service is offered primarily as a platform to cache and serve web pages and websites. Unless explicitly included as a part of a Paid Service purchased by you, you agree to use the Service solely for the purpose of serving web pages as viewed through a web browser or other application and the Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) protocol or other equivalent technology. Use of the Service for the storage or caching of video (unless purchased separately as a Paid Service) or a disproportionate percentage of pictures, audio files, or other non-HTML content, is prohibited.
I've asked them to provide more specific information regarding this because it doesn't make sense to me.

Attachments

Last edited:

WildWayz

Experienced+
Staff
Donor
Mar 13, 2018
You are not allowed to use their free service to deliver video content - best idea is to disable cloud flare on Plex domain.

kamos69

Experienced+
Original poster
Donor
Apr 22, 2018
So out of interest, if I signed up for Pro, would I be allowed to serve video content on their network?

kamos69

Experienced+
Original poster
Donor
Apr 22, 2018
I did some further investigation and asked a few other people. Turns out that using Plex with Cloudflare as the CDN, is against their TOS. Apparently many people have been banned because of this in the past :/

badcop

Experienced
Donor
Jun 17, 2018
If you're large you'll get noticed and most likely will get suspended.

leftrightleft

Citizen
Donor
Oct 29, 2019
3.49 TB is slightly over 10Mbps over a month.
Speculation, they may pay more attention when you cross the level of transfer.

Anyway, why would you want to make Plex go through cloudflare? On top of letting cloudflare see all your traffic, I don't think there's any performance benefit?

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
Because you get to use cloudflares global content delivery network. For example if you are in the states but your server is in Europe, and your speed isn't great, cloudflare routes that traffic through their internal Network which is global and much faster. Cloudflares ip space is also generally universally accepted on networks that are more restrictive such as hotel WiFi that may block foreign IP space or blocks of IP addresses.

What I did for this was set Plex network discovery addresses to https://IP:32400, https://IP:443, https://cloudflare.dns.proxy.name:443. This way it will try the native plex port first with no inline filters or proxy (as well as let's some unique Plex clients like "smarttv clients" that don't support the latest tls to work,) then the traefik proxy for access via restrictive Lans, and only fail to cloudflare in the event the IP isn't reachable from wherever I'm accessing Plex from. It rarely fails back to cloudflare, only a few times when on public WiFi with IP blocks in place, etc.

If you add the 32400 discovery address I highly recommend you set the Plex encrypted connection setting from preferred to required.

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending