What's new
PlexGuide.com

Register a free account today to become a Plex Guide Member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Complete backup and restore option

Donations go towards the cost of the Server, Forum Cost, and Licenses!
Reactions
11 0 0
The current backup solution is awesome! Takes a lot of stress away as you know you can restore after a potential server crash.

I would love to see an option to backup ALL the appdata in one go. Possibly also adding an option to setup a crontab entry to automatically backup everything for you on set intervals.

It would be awesome to see a restore option that did the same.

It would be amazing if you could install the script and provide only your rclone/plexdrive config and then the script would ask if you are doing a fresh install or restore.

So, configure plexdrive/rclone and then straight into an option to restore your entire install.

That would be amazing! Setup your server once and then restore everything in one go. Script could check to see which appdata folders have information in them and then only restore the containers needed to fulfill the appdata restored.

barryclamsworth

Tech Support
Staff member
Tech Support
Donation Sponsor
Reactions
66 0 0
I transferred between servers last week, I basically restored all the apps (and installed all via plexguide) and I was done, everything worked. I should note all my configs with things like sonarr and such between containers were setup with the subdomain links.

Anyway, I am just starting to learn linux so as an exercise I am going to try and work out how to do a simple incremental backup of everything for my own learning.

Admin9705

Administrator
Staff member
Co-Founder
Reactions
265 1 1
there is a downside to the cron job version. the plex back up in my case can take 4 hours alone and requires a shut down of the vm. sonarr can take 5-10 minutes if large enough. the other's are fast. A mass on can be conducted; good to know :D

barryclamsworth

Tech Support
Staff member
Tech Support
Donation Sponsor
Reactions
66 0 0
I just ran into this trying to download my backups for scrutiny trying to see what file types I might exclude or include for my backup project. Plex was 26GB which I suspect was a few MP4s but the real surprise was Ombi at around 12GB and I have a tiny library at this point.

I also noticed an empty folder was backed up for emby and it there was an error trying to back up. Something like folder or files don't exist.

Admin9705

Administrator
Staff member
Co-Founder
Reactions
265 1 1
I just ran into this trying to download my backups for scrutiny trying to see what file types I might exclude or include for my backup project. Plex was 26GB which I suspect was a few MP4s but the real surprise was Ombi at around 12GB and I have a tiny library at this point.

I also noticed an empty folder was backed up for emby and it there was an error trying to back up. Something like folder or files don't exist.
Talking about the plex meta data right?

barryclamsworth

Tech Support
Staff member
Tech Support
Donation Sponsor
Reactions
66 0 0
Talking about the plex meta data right?
I don't know yet, it's the plexguide backup zip sitting in my g-drive. I find it hard to believe it would be that big with metadata and jpegs with the minimal stuff I have, 5 movies and 114 total episodes. I am fairly sure I saw an .mp4 or three while it was doing the back up so I assume they are plex created transcodes, I can see in tautulli my son has watched 3 episodes on chromecast yesterday from his mums house.

The backup is too large for me to download so I haven't been able to look through it yet, midnight here and I just got home from work.

My plan is to try and work out what is needed and what I can force to be excluded from the backup once I set up a VM or test box at home.

EDIT: VNC check shows it's 15mb metadata, culprit is 27GB of transcodes in the cache /opt/appdata/plex/database/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache/Transcode/

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.