Crypto mining on the side? | PlexGuide.com

Crypto mining on the side?

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

PSyCHoHaMSTeRza

Active
Original poster
Mar 27, 2020
Has anyone pondered using one or two cores to make an extra buck by mining some monero? I got Cudo miner set up with 4 cores on Hetzner dedi since I only have about 2 transcodes at a time max. It's not much, but you can buy yourself a beer at the end of the month!

I know Hetzner bans crypto mining on VPS but with dedicated it should be fine, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Djeloan

Citizen
Apr 11, 2020
How hard is it to set-up?

Also, i think it's against Hetzner's ToS (but i'm not sure about it)

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
In the earlier days, PG had the option of enabling Monero crypto mining via container as a way of giving back to development costs, it obviously wasn't popular with VPS installs, generally mainstream dedicated providers weren't bothered, but 100% check the ToS with whoever you use.

Reactions: 1 user

PSyCHoHaMSTeRza

Active
Original poster
Mar 27, 2020
How hard is it to set-up?

Also, i think it's against Hetzner's ToS (but i'm not sure about it)
It's actually super easy to set up on the server. They have a little walkthrough script that you can run. Then you can manage all your miners from a web front end. Since posting this thread I've made (drumroll please) .... 21 cents! Through I have one more miner on my laptop.

The only thing in the ToS that might apply is the following line: "Another important reason, that can result in block or determination without notice, may be that the customer uses content, which affects the performance or the safety of the server."

Though I am throttling the miner at 4 cores, so the CPU is still only at like 60% or so. I doubt that I am affecting the performance that much.

If you click on the left side menu, crypto mining is definitely banned on the cloud and vps, but they don't say anything about crypto in root servers.

Djeloan

Citizen
Apr 11, 2020
Can it be somehow managed to only run mining when CPU usage is below 40% for example? So it doesn't slow down other, more important stuff? But then, when server is not in use, the miner starts and does it's job?

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
Generally you set the priority low so that everything gets priority over mining, unless it's a dedicated mining rig, but CPU mining in general hasn't been profitable for a loooong time. I speak as someone who used to do a lot of GPU mining and made an OK amount of money each month doing so, just wish i'd hung onto the BTC I made, it would have been life changing in value now.

Reactions: 1 users

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending