DelugeVPN?

KirkDiggler

Local time
6:18 PM
Dec 20, 2018
What do you mean? Sorry I'm new to this site but I have been and currently run deluge behind vpn

hooper

Legendary Member
Original poster
Staff
Donor
Local time
3:18 PM
Aug 1, 2018
there is a delugevpn container that was once part of the PG suite of apps. see https://github.com/binhex/arch-delugevpn

It worked very well for me, some people had some issues with it though. I think it was removed from the PG setup to be re-worked.

My question is, if this is still something being looked at, and if so, when?

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Local time
Jan 17, 2018
if someone ever pushes. don't the road maybe, but too busy with others stuff. torrents are lower on my list in general. @Deiteq might readd. she orginally put it.

fr0sty

Staff
Donor
Local time
9:18 AM
Jul 8, 2018
Australia
@Admin9705
I was hoping for some torrent LOVE in the 7.5 container fix/tweaks. :cry:
rutorrent out of the box is broken and we have no easy VPN solutions.
I've read on multiple post you don't torrent and have no motivation to burn valuable time on something you don't use (I get it) and If I had the skills I'd fix it all and push it to you, but i don't.

Any clues to a solution or is the plan to abandon torrents altogether?

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Local time
Jan 17, 2018
@Admin9705
I was hoping for some torrent LOVE in the 7.5 container fix/tweaks. :cry:
rutorrent out of the box is broken and we have no easy VPN solutions.
I've read on multiple post you don't torrent and have no motivation to burn valuable time on something you don't use (I get it) and If I had the skills I'd fix it all and push it to you, but i don't.

Any clues to a solution or is the plan to abandon torrents altogether?
ya torrents are getting done in 7.5 also, but the vpn aspect is another project within itself :D

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Local time
Jan 17, 2018
Thanks @Admin9705 you made my year!
Merry Christmas & Thanks for all your efforts
eventually i'll get to it haha, it's like how encrypted blitz took forever, it's really the learning curve :D

Reactions: fr0sty

Bender77

Donor
Local time
4:18 PM
Oct 26, 2018
for the delugevpn container, it requires net admin capability. I manually set the labels for vpn provider, vpn user, vpn pass, enable privoxy=True, add net admin capability in portainer and it, works. note: I also did ```modprobe tun``` on the host but this may not be required depending your set up. I also had to put the ovpn file in the appdata/deluge directory.

hooper

Legendary Member
Original poster
Staff
Donor
Local time
Aug 1, 2018
for the delugevpn container, it requires net admin capability. I manually set the labels for vpn provider, vpn user, vpn pass, enable privoxy=True, add net admin capability in portainer and it, works. note: I also did ```modprobe tun``` on the host but this may not be required depending your set up. I also had to put the ovpn file in the appdata/deluge directory.
so this will all break again if you do something that requires redeploying the container.

Any chance you can hack the yml file and submit your changes to the community repo? would be most helpful.

Reactions: Methanoid

Methanoid

Respected Member
Local time
11:18 PM
Nov 9, 2018
Another request if ANYONE has this running can they (a) submit changes to YML to the Community Repo and (b) write the Wiki page that doesn't exist for this.

It just isn't safe to torrent WITHOUT VPN IMHO ;-)

timekills

Legendary Member
Staff
Donor
Local time
2:18 AM
Sep 12, 2018
Another request if ANYONE has this running can they (a) submit changes to YML to the Community Repo and (b) write the Wiki page that doesn't exist for this.

It just isn't safe to torrent WITHOUT VPN IMHO ;-)
As you seem to have both the desire and experience, I suggest trying the above changes and reporting what can be added GENERICALLY.

The above suggestions imply to me that personal information must be added that is specific to each individual deployment. That is a significant change to "just" a YAML update, and would require an entire script in addition to allow the user to input individual/unique information for each install.

If this is not the case, and universally applied information is missing, it can be fixed - if someone such as yourself that has any experience with using Deluge with OpenVPN (or any VPN) provides that data.

Bender77

Donor
Local time
Oct 26, 2018
Ill poke at this. We either need to ask the user for the information and store it as a variable, or have them create a credentials file and place it in the proper directory. I dont have any experience with Ansible, so it would take me a few days to figure that out if it was option A. Option B only requires the additional capability to be added.

Methanoid

Respected Member
Local time
11:18 PM
Nov 9, 2018
I have tried what bender suggests... I tried that from my own experience before with unRAID.. and I am stuck. Totally. The container seems to be running but deluge.domain.com is not responsive.. "Bad gateway" from memory so no idea what more I can do.

xxKrypto

Local time
Dec 27, 2018
What you described is the situation I ran into before I stopped trying. Container running fine and appeared to be mapped to the correct domain name but was not accessible.

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

Bender77

Donor
Local time
Oct 26, 2018
binhex thinks it is due to iptables rules in the container. I was able to access it using an ssh tunnel.

Bender77

Donor
Local time
Oct 26, 2018
i have a template for plexguide but sitll troubleshooting a few things. the ssh tunnels are a workaround for connectivity, for now. Until I can get more info from the PG folks, Im kinda stuck. It does work if you want some instructions...

Reactions: haagsemark

xxKrypto

Local time
Dec 27, 2018
Would like instructions as well if you have time. Otherwise, I can wait till a solution is found. It is the last piece missing to finish my library lol

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.