Original poster
Local time
12:04 AM
May 2, 2018
PG Version
Mount Type
Move Unencrypted
People,
I have my first google drive (edu) account disabled notification.
(cherry popped)
plex/jelly were not able to start playing items.98 beautifully curated Terabytes of data.... "and just like that.....".
as i say NOT Gsuite but a cheap edu google drive i picked up a couple of years ago.
and yes i have (mostly- about 70tb of it) backup up to another account(s).

so some questions occurred to me:

would this be less likely had i had g suite?
I would have thought it more inherently dangerous because if they are able to decrypt/see clearly your files/folders and see 100tb of films and tv shows then they have your REAL details.
And rather than in my example (edu account) where they have asked me to confirm if they are "allowed" to check my files with a view to considering re-instating the account, asking for an alternative email (the less traceable the more obvious one is using the account for 'nefarious activities'), i can just 'flush' (ie never use again) the account no harm no foul (except data loss-which shoudl be mitigated for)
THIS LEADS ME TO ASK: how the F£$( did they make this discovery?

Would this be less likely had i had my files encrypted?
I don't see how it could...my files were UNencrypted yet even if they had been the files would surely be held inside clear text (and very obvious) folder names so....

anyone with any ideas how to mitigate this for others? input welcomed.

dP

Xployt

Administrator
Staff
Donor
Local time
Sep 26, 2018
Hhhmmm strange.

Have they stated why the account was/is actually disabled?

I wonder if they had enough of your transfer rates?

DeadPool

Original poster
Local time
May 2, 2018
as a follow up to what i think might be of interest and value to all:
what are you all doing to mitigate the risk as highlighted above?

DeadPool

Original poster
Local time
May 2, 2018
Hhhmmm strange.

Have they stated why the account was/is actually disabled?

I wonder if they had enough of your transfer rates?
no idea mate.i proposed the same question in my OP... how do they see the violation? packet sniffing?
As you say it might well be transfer rates.

having read further it seems like it wasn't my best work using ebay edu accounts (although i do wonder if it IS sniffing packets/transfer rates/whatever else then surely they can see that on whatever account type you have, officially paid(ie gsuite account), or not).

something

Respected Member
Local time
5:04 PM
Feb 15, 2018
Do you know if it was disabled by google or the EDU institute where your account came from? I read and strictly follow these two rules in various forums: 1. Do not use cheap ebay accounts (except if you want Amazon prime :ROFLMAO:) 2. Do not share your gdrive with others.

murkr

Respected Member
Donor
Local time
Nov 5, 2018
The same happened to me yesterday. I noticed that one of my backup accounts (my main one) had been banned. So I created a new one to backup to (My library was about 50TB and I was in the process of backing the movies section), and about 4 days in of backing up both accounts got banned so I reckon it was because I was moving files from one gdrive to another at such a rate.... I now start again I guess!

• Skull
Reactions: DeadPool

something

Respected Member
Local time
5:04 PM
Feb 15, 2018
Exactly. This is concerning. Can you guys please clarify if these were GSuite accounts (where you pay money to Google) or was it EDU account (where you may have paid money to some ebay seller)?

Reactions: DeadPool and Xployt

quadiator

Local time
Feb 8, 2019
The same happened to me yesterday. I noticed that one of my backup accounts (my main one) had been banned. So I created a new one to backup to (My library was about 50TB and I was in the process of backing the movies section), and about 4 days in of backing up both accounts got banned so I reckon it was because I was moving files from one gdrive to another at such a rate.... I now start again I guess!
What’s the content building strategy? I don’t know where to start - I was previously being fed data from the .edu group

Reactions: DeadPool

DeadPool

Original poster
Local time
May 2, 2018
Do you know if it was disabled by google or the EDU institute where your account came from? I read and strictly follow these two rules in various forums: 1. Do not use cheap ebay accounts (except if you want Amazon prime :ROFLMAO:) 2. Do not share your gdrive with others.
hi as per my OP mine was a cheap edu from ebay.and as i also said they were both from the same establishment(how dumb of me).but i never did share.

DeadPool

Original poster
Local time
May 2, 2018
Beside up, are poeple talking about EDU or GSuite accounts? :)
as per first post it was a cheap edu..im such a dumbass.HA(i deserve all i get for being a lazy (unt).

DeadPool

Original poster
Local time
May 2, 2018
What’s the content building strategy? I don’t know where to start - I was previously being fed data from the .edu group
i hear you.very early on i had to ask the provider(of the cheap account) to stop sharing their content with me..it makes it almost impossible to curate a good collection with top quality(as they use the smallest and often poorest quality files).
the quality of movies was second to none with nearly 3000 perfectly curated bluray rips from the BEST release groups(you;ll know who they are).
these are GONE("poof and just like that!")and will have to be individually dl'd again(its no bother...it only took about 11 months¬HA)My sonarr is already hard at work repopulating the 800+ shows (current eta on these....about 150 days! :poop:)
Was using multcloud to synce between locations bu am now going to up my game, stop being such a lazy (UNT and put together a proper armageddon crisis plan (for starters backing up to THREE DIFF LOCATIONS).
im SURE i mentioned this in a post many many moons ago but nothing ever came of it and my edu grew to a curated, delicious 98tb>
BASTARDSONOFABITCH
:ROFLMAO::sick:

DeadPool

Original poster
Local time
May 2, 2018
i just worked out that the 100tb i lost will take me 150 days to replace AT A BEST SHORTEST -NO PROBLEMS OCCURRING- ESTIMATE.(750gb per day)
the reality is that a huge list in sab(or get) drains the absolute bejeezus out of the cloud computer and will inevitably take much(much) longer due to crashes and unforeseen circumstances aplenty.
boo hoo no ones fault but my own but i simply do not have the time or inclination to let this happen again and any and all WAR GAME strategies we can come up with will be great.

dP

DeadPool

Original poster
Local time
May 2, 2018
forgot to ask what is your backup protocol (tool)?
dP

DeadPool

Original poster
Local time
May 2, 2018
i guess one strategy might be to use radarr for my movie collection.
this would then auto-repopulate after another catastrophe.
the reason(s) i have not done this before (well i HAVE but ONLY for /new movies/ folder)are numerous but main points are:
you have to be really on the ball with your (profile) rule settings so as to get the very best quality rips(from the very best releasegeoups only if poss).
Also I FUCKING HAAAAAAAAATE the folder structure (and the lack of choice as to how to do it) that radarr offers.its like one of the main requests on their git and still(if i am not mistaken) you cannot use a flat folder structure, the main benefit of which is simply being able to scan and load your pre-existing (flat-like all movies in ONE folder-'movies' for eg) movie folder.....

WAIT A MINUTE....can i blame the radarr gang for my loss of movies?! i bloody well think i might! (HA):cool:

Last edited:
Assists Greatly with Development Costs

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Maintenance Donations

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending