Do I need to use a VPN with GCE? | PlexGuide.com

Do I need to use a VPN with GCE?

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

TerryTrain

Citizen+
Original poster
Apr 26, 2020
As per title. If I am downloading torrents through a GCE is it worth getting a VPN? Assuming they would just ban the account if any complaints

Reactions: 1 user

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
No just just don't use torrents

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
Look at it another way, a news account is $2-3/month, you can literally saturate your connection both directions 24/7 and not attract unwanted attention to your account, or you can pay for a VPN, use torrents, get lower speeds and risk unwanted attention directed towards your whole account. Personally one seems like a much better idea than the other, but that's just me.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

TerryTrain

Citizen+
Original poster
Apr 26, 2020
No just just don't use torrents
Ill torrent on my local. Fair suggestion.
Post automatically merged:

Look at it another way, a news account is $2-3/month, you can literally saturate your connection both directions 24/7 and not attract unwanted attention to your account, or you can pay for a VPN, use torrents, get lower speeds and risk unwanted attention directed towards your whole account. Personally one seems like a much better idea than the other, but that's just me.
Thanks Datamonkeh. Any suggestions on old content nzb sites? Im looking for older anime content for my server. Cant seem to find on planet, geek, su, dog.

DeadPool

Elite
Staff
May 2, 2018
g'day.
well you've hit on the kicker there pal..
usenet is by far the best for new(er) stuff but for older more esoteric s*hit like some anime you cant beat a torrent.
this is just a fact.
As long as there is a seed there is the ability(taking precautions) to locate some of the very hard to find stuff.
My film list is at about 8000 and i'd say (easily) >99% can be found on newsgroups if you look hard enough.. it's just that <1% (usually) only torrents can fill.
so, yeah, take your precaution medicine and torrent for those toughies.
for eg try finding judex 1916 anywhere but on bt, good luck.lolz
I'll get moaned at for saying so i guess but.. give a f*ck.
its the truth.

dP

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

FiveO

Citizen+
Raffle Winner
Apr 6, 2020
If you do use torrent on a short term basis I would suggest using BTGuard's BitTorrent Proxy service. It is only $6.95 a month and if you wanted you could use it for a month or two to grab the obscure content you are after and then not renew it. Granted it is SOCKS5 Proxy instead of VPN protection, but would keep you unknown from the peeps snooping what you are downloading.

I personally like Newsgroups because of the anonymity and at least Newshosting supports SSL encryption, so everything downloaded my ISP cannot see. Because F them! ;) When I want to pull something down I am not finding via Newsgroup I fire up the free Privado VPN you get with Newshosting service on my desktop and pull it down via torrent. You may have free Privado VPN as well with your service. Keep in mind as mentioned though downloading torrents through VPN are a bit slower.

mariohi

Citizen
Oct 10, 2019
Also depends what torrents sites are you using. Private trackers should be safer than publicly available stuff.

alexvinc123

Citizen
Jan 19, 2020
I prefer private trackers. or public with VPN. Don't have to worry about DMCA problems, paying extra for indexers, multiple usenet hosts and also the ssd needed for usenet

TerryTrain

Citizen+
Original poster
Apr 26, 2020
Thanks all for your replies. I will go with usenet for the GCE and local torrents. I have found that Sonarr does not seem to automatically download some pretty (what I would think) available content like Bojack Horseman, Rick and Morty etc. Any idea whats up with that?

I also added Vikings to the list and its sitting at 0. I have 11 indexers running, most of which im paid in for and have the available API searches. I can find them by manually searching the indexers site but Sonarr seems to stall or not find anything?

I have gone to NZBGet and deleted all of my hidden files in case it was finding duplicates so they were all fresh when the search autoloaded. I had also followed the Sonarr PG video setup.

FiveO

Citizen+
Raffle Winner
Apr 6, 2020
@TerryTrain, I have no issues getting Rick and Morty on Sonarr. It is all up to date, including the most current episode from Sunday night. If you are having trouble getting content it likely is an indexer problem. Indexers are basically Google Maps to find and locate content on Newsgroups. That is why it is recommended to use at least two indexers. You may need to signup for additional indexers. I currently am using NZBGeek and NZB Finder myself with NZBHydra. Some individuals have four, five, or more indexers to search content.

Edit: nevermind........I see you are using 11 indexers. To set priority for one of the indexers you would want to change it from 0 to 1 in NZBHydra which would try to direct NZBHydra to use that indexer first. If you have NZBHydra setup correctly with Sonarr it should auto locate the content. If you are having trouble with NZBHydra, try removing it from the equation and manually configure two are three indexers for Sonarr to use to see if it works better for you.
Post automatically merged:

One other thing I just thought of is you may want to double check the config of your downloader for NZBHydra. I am not sure what you are using, but I am using NZBGet. Something not set correctly there would also prevent NZBHydra from downloading content for you.

Last edited:

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending