Discussion - Docker Container Monitor | PlexGuide.com

Discussion Docker Container Monitor

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

kamos69

Experienced+
Original poster
Donor
Apr 22, 2018
My Plex Docker container falls over every now and again. I can't for the life of me figure out why it's falling over but a container restart usually sorts out the problem.

I've tried setting up Plex monitoring in Tautulli but it doesn't always work. Is there something that can be used to monitor the health status of a container?

I just want a notification when the Plex container goes into an "unhealthy" state, so that I can action a container restart.

apdqueen

Experienced
Mar 30, 2018
Could you have some sort of script running via a con job every minute? Or something like that? I'm no Linux expert mind!

If you type:

docker ps --filter "name=plex"

In a terminal session, it will output the container details, but only if the container is running. You could then combine that with something like "docker start plex" etc. if there was no output?

kamos69

Experienced+
Original poster
Donor
Apr 22, 2018
Could you have some sort of script running via a con job every minute? Or something like that? I'm no Linux expert mind!

If you type:

docker ps --filter "name=plex"

In a terminal session, it will output the container details, but only if the container is running. You could then combine that with something like "docker start plex" etc. if there was no output?
Thanks for this but I'm hoping that someone has had this problem and solved it through automation. Maybe they can shed some light on a good way of doing this.

barryclamsworth

Governer
Donor
Feb 2, 2018
If it's still in place the Plex container is set to stop if the PGDrive service stumbles. This is so plex wont hose your entire library thinking it has all been deleted. This would be the first thing I would look for. If you check the logs in Portainer before you restart plex you might be able to see exactly when and check the plexguide logs to see if it matches up.

apdqueen

Experienced
Mar 30, 2018
Thanks for this but I'm hoping that someone has had this problem and solved it through automation. Maybe they can shed some light on a good way of doing this.
You can look here for some ideas on monitoring solutions. I have tried a couple, but in the end they seem vastly over engineered unless you are running some sort of commercial containerisation system. But you may get something from them! There is also which seems fairly easy to set-up. In the past I have also used Webmin to monitor (using command similar to the above) but again, this is still a process for which you have to set up yourself.

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending