Welcome to PlexGuide.com

Register & Join Our Community Today!

Register Log in

Docker prune cron job or menu option.

Read Deiteq's (Cofounder) Review & For a Discount Voucher!
Thread starter #1

barryclamsworth

PG Captain
Partner
I freshly installed my server about a month ago and cleared out all my unused old docker images today. Reclaimed about 40GB. This could be fairly significant for those on a bottom end budget VPS.

Perhaps there is a built in docker space saving limit but if not it might be nice for a monthly cron job or something to remove these unused images or perhaps a menu item in plexguide for those with cmdlinephobia.

sudo docker image prune -a

Similar threads

Deiteq

Administrator
Co-Founder
Awesome fix!
Thanks for that!:D
Maybe throw it in with watchtower if not on it's own cron job!:geek:

docker-purge.JPG

FeralF

PG Veteran
PG Donor
I freshly installed my server about a month ago and cleared out all my unused old docker images today. Reclaimed about 40GB. This could be fairly significant for those on a bottom end budget VPS.

Perhaps there is a built in docker space saving limit but if not it might be nice for a monthly cron job or something to remove these unused images or perhaps a menu item in plexguide for those with cmdlinephobia.

sudo docker image prune -a
Absolute legend. Was deleting them manually the other day, feels like a right div now. Big up on the big help 👍

Deiteq

Administrator
Co-Founder
Read Deiteq's (Cofounder) Review & For a Discount Voucher!

Deiteq

Administrator
Co-Founder
You will have to update to dev first then run:
sudo ansible-playbook /opt/plexguide/ansible/critical.yml --tags alias
to make sure the aliases get updated if PlexGuide didn't ask you to reinstall!;)

After that the new shortcut commands will work!

UPDATE: You now only need to sudo pgdev for the preinstaller to run so alias gets updated!:)

Last edited:

Indagatrix

PG Veteran
Tech Support
What lookup can i make to determine what is "unused"?
Is it trash from removing opt/appdata installs or am i on the wrong thought train?

Deiteq

Administrator
Co-Founder
Is it trash from removing opt/appdata installs or am i on the wrong thought train?
Are you referring to prune or autoremove?

After Signup, PM Admin9705 for a 20% Discount Voucher

Deiteq

Administrator
Co-Founder
prune removes old container images that are not being used due to updates or use of another maintainers container!

Last edited:
Thread starter #12
OP
OP
barryclamsworth

barryclamsworth

PG Captain
Partner
Prune will only delete things that aren't in use by a container, it's sort of like a file lock when a file is in use. You can view all images and their status in portainer.

Or from the command line...

sudo docker ps -a - Show images and status (stretch your window out wide and re-run if using putty)

You can remove individual images using their IMAGE ID.

sudo docker rmi (image ID) - The rmi = ReMove Image

Assists Greatly with Development Costs