Kinvaris

Respected Member
Original poster
Donor
Local time
8:33 AM
Apr 12, 2018
Hi,

Wondering if anyone has successfully routed emby through cloudlfare CDN?

Had a quick look through the forms and noticed @barryclamsworth at one point was attempting it. Did you get it running mate?

I know the generals of what I need to do, set up in cloudflare, change my domain in emby etc.

Here is what im having trouble with, as far as I am aware for a site to be on the CDN for cloudflare is needs to be on ports 80 or 443 (is this correct?). Which means I would need to edit the emby container to change ports to 80 or 443 for connection. Problem with that is thats what traefik uses. I could probably try changing traefiks ports to something else. Posting here first to avoid destroying my whole setup haha. Or does the fact traefik sits on those ports mean that every app routed through cloudflare is on the CDN?

Any advice is greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

Also hoping that setting up emby to connect through reverse proxy will allow me to connect to emby with closed ports.

barryclamsworth

Legendary Member
Donor
Local time
7:33 PM
Feb 2, 2018

Chrisputer

Respected Member
Local time
2:33 AM
May 25, 2018
United States
Huh... didn't know I had to do that. Think Enabling Argo will help at all? CloudFlare does not seem to cache anything. ~19mb out of 15GB for this month.

barryclamsworth

Legendary Member
Donor
Local time
Feb 2, 2018
I don't know what argo is but you don't want emby/plex cached, just CDN'd if you live far away from your server.

Kinvaris

Respected Member
Original poster
Donor
Local time
Apr 12, 2018
do you know if there is any way to get emby working with ports closed @barryclamsworth? I kinda hoped routing emby through traefik would achieve that result.

I guess not since emby connects directly to the server?

I probably shouldnt be too worried about people getting into my server via my ip. but still better safe than sorry eh

barryclamsworth

Legendary Member
Donor
Local time
Feb 2, 2018
443 and 80 is with ports closed.

http goes to 80

https goes to 443

It is only if you want to go to other ports that you specify a port number otherwise 80 or 443 is used.

Reactions: FullCycle

Kinvaris

Respected Member
Original poster
Donor
Local time
Apr 12, 2018
443 and 80 is with ports closed.

http goes to 80

https goes to 443

It is only if you want to go to other ports that you specify a port number otherwise 80 or 443 is used.
So I must not have set this up properly? when I connect in an emby app with my domain port 443 it connects no problem. But when I close ports it doesn't connect

---- Automatically Merged Double Post ----

But it will connect in a web browser

Last edited:

Chrisputer

Respected Member
Local time
2:33 AM
May 25, 2018
United States
So I must not have set this up properly? when I connect in an emby app with my domain port 443 it connects no problem. But when I close ports it doesn't connect

But it will connect in a web browser
What does the SSL Cert say in the web browser?
1540298939652.png
1540299001501.png

Kinvaris

Respected Member
Original poster
Donor
Local time
Apr 12, 2018
ok so it does, in a web browser connect via emby.domain.com:443. But it still doesn't connect via an app, or if I go to emby website and try to connect in there via emby connect

no relevant logs either

Last edited:

Kinvaris

Respected Member
Original poster
Donor
Local time
Apr 12, 2018
yeah

So yeah absolutely nothing I do is making a difference. Clearly I have set it up properly as connecting through a web browser is possible with https://emby.domain.com:443. Just when I try it through emby apps (android, roku and emby.media web browser) it doesn't work. Ive followed the instructions to the letter and triple checked them. Even tried on a fresh hetzner cloud server was the same. Even tried setting emby to the tld and trying that way. no dice.

But it must work as @Chrisputer and @barryclamsworth both have it working. so confused.

Last edited:

barryclamsworth

Legendary Member
Donor
Local time
Feb 2, 2018
I'm using an NVidia Shield and a MiBox, and works on app if signed in with emby connect. I can't check my shield settings but I'll try to remember if there is anything specific when I get home. I may have had to add a password to my user name too which I never did when I had just the server at home.

Just tried installing the app on my phone and as soon as I have signed in with emby connect I can select all my servers.

Have you got Allow Remote Connections ticked?

Last edited:

Kinvaris

Respected Member
Original poster
Donor
Local time
Apr 12, 2018
yep, remote connection ticked. It doesnt let me get to the login screen so doesnt matter about the password.

Kinvaris

Respected Member
Original poster
Donor
Local time
Apr 12, 2018
Also in all my messing around trying to get it to work it doesn't work with ports open either anymore

Kinvaris

Respected Member
Original poster
Donor
Local time
Apr 12, 2018
Ive given up. While I have changed the ports and domain as @barryclamsworth stated above. It doesnt connect. ports open or closed no difference. still sonnects via ip:8096 even with these settings. Here's some pics for you guys to look at, maybe you will catch something I did wrong that I have missed.

Attachments

Kinvaris

Respected Member
Original poster
Donor
Local time
Apr 12, 2018
f*ck me, the answer to this was so simple. appguard. edited the container to remove appgaurd auth from emby and it connected right away. why I didn't think of it sooner I will never know. Thanks for all the tips @barryclamsworth and @Chrisputer really appreciate it!

This issue really kicked my a** haha days of fucking about. Hopefully the next person who has this issue looks here before going through it!

Reactions: barryclamsworth

Kerebrog

Local time
9:33 AM
Aug 9, 2019
This wont work for me, i cant connect over the internet with my emby server -.-

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.