Discussion - errors with docker container permissions | PlexGuide.com

Discussion errors with docker container permissions

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

soupsandwhich

Citizen
Original poster
Dec 6, 2018
i have PG set up and am very happy with what i can do. i do have a few questions and am not sure where to post it. I believe my issues is with docker and Linux file permissions. If this is not where this should be posted feel free to move it.

my set up may be a bit different than most and may be part of my problem. i have a r710 that is running Hyper-v 2019. i have a Windows server 2016 VM that is where all my storage pools are. about 20tb of media. I started a Ubuntu 18.04 VM, installed PG, mounted my windows shares in ubuntu, and created the mount points in portainer for sonarr and radarr. everything is working great but... I can not get the sonarr and radarr docker containers the permissions to Write to the windows shares.

example: i got to sonarr.mydomain.com and sonarr works great connecting to Jackett, Plex, Ombi, ect. However, when I go to add a media location to sonarr I can find my window shares that I mounted using portainer but it says that user "abc" cannot write to the file location and wont let me add it.

I know this has to be a permissions issue between the docker container and the ubuntu host but everything I have tried has not changed the outcome. I changed the fstab file to change the uid-gid to different users of the mounts I have. I changed the permissions on the windows side for everyone to have complete control. I changed the permissions on the folders in the docker container to 777. nothing changed.

Now I have reversed everything to where I started and figured I would ask the community for help. I have a feeling that it will be something really simple.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
ya a windows expert will have to come on this one. i did smb back awhile ago. i know a few other's in the past have mentioned success in your case.

Reactions: 1 user

soupsandwhich

Citizen
Original poster
Dec 6, 2018
What's weird is plex can see everything just fine. I think because it is linked to the host file system differently then the sonarr containers.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
What's weird is plex can see everything just fine. I think because it is linked to the host file system differently then the sonarr containers.
i got the basics down, but docker gets complex on a whole another aspect when it comes to the networking piece

soupsandwhich

Citizen
Original poster
Dec 6, 2018
Anyone out there that can chime in. Last night I tried to change user ids and permissions inside the container itself with no success. Kept saying access denied even though I was loged in as root. I'm really kinda stumped here.

How are others that have a existing "NAS" solutions for their media connecting it to the PG docker containers?

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
i think it's more the lack of knowledge (i only encountered 2 people who have asked)

soupsandwhich

Citizen
Original poster
Dec 6, 2018
I found a solution to the problem. I changed the PUID and PGID of the container to the root ID of the host. works like a charm. Not sure of the consequences of doing this. Maybe there is a better way to get this done.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
I found a solution to the problem. I changed the PUID and PGID of the container to the root ID of the host. works like a charm. Not sure of the consequences of doing this. Maybe there is a better way to get this done.
hmm good to know

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending