What's new
PlexGuide.com

Register a free account today to become a Plex Guide Member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Info EU Hosting Providers

If you are looking to run a remote server, it pays to know who is reselling who. Most 'brands' have a number of sub brands pitched at different types of user, you usually have the main brand offering higher spec's/customisation options with managed options, then sub brands that offer off the shelf products with limited/no customisation. Understanding who's who can save you a small fortune each month.

OVH
OVH is based in France, but have space in DC's all over the world, they offer managed options and higher prices/customisation with 500Mbit guaranteed, has a mid tier option with slightly lower guaranteed speeds via SoYouStart (SYS) at 250Mbit on a a gigabit port and budget options via Kimsufi with 100Mbit, generally regarded as having very good peering and is a popular choice with other people looking for seed boxes.

Links: OVH SoYouStart Kimsufi

Hetzner
The other well German known budget option, main site offers a wide range of options, auctions side is good for preconfigured hardware, unfortunately prices have gone up as virtual currency miners rent cheap hardware to mine on. That's in the process of readjusting, so hopefully prices will drop sooner rather than later. Longer term the main site (with set-up fee) can work out better value. Hetzner has an upload cap starting at 20TB and going up the more you spend each month. If you commit to paying 1 euro or so a TB for over they'll let you spend/upload as much as you want. German hosts tend to take longer to verify you and are less tolerant of (for example) adult content. Non German nationals pay sales tax on-top of published prices.

Links: Hetzner Hetzner Robot Auctions

Myloc
Another German host who are less popular than Hetzner, main brand tends to focus on managed services, sub brands are Webtropia (3 options, can be customised) and ServDiscount (preconfigured ex. lease, like Hetzner Auctions). 300-500Mbit guaranteed on a gigabit port, no data quota. German hosts tend to take longer to verify you and are less tolerant of (for example) adult content. Non German nationals pay sales tax on-top of published prices.

Links: Myloc Webtropia ServDiscount

Online.net
Main brand has a wide range of options, sub brand is oneprovider, they offer cheap packages on paper (2.5Gbit port speed on a cheap box). Support can be sow via oneprovider if they need to refer to online.net, server speeds can also vary significantly even in the same DC/corridor. When (if?) it works, it's OK value. Guaranteed speeds range from 300-500mbit depending on the offer, realistically a Kimsufi box has been shown to manage the same sort of throughput over extended tests.

Links: Online.net OneProvider

I'm bound to have missed someone, my experience is more with the budget dedicated hosts rather than the higher end, so feel free to contribute - also if you use someone, please feel free to submit benchmark results in the 'Post Your Benchmarks' thread.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Datamonkey

Comments

DarkSteel

Donation Sponsor
Reactions
15 0 0
If you are looking to run a remote server, it pays to know who is reselling who. Most 'brands' have a number of sub brands pitched at different types of user, you usually have the main brand offering higher spec's/customisation options with managed options, then sub brands that offer off the shelf products with limited/no customisation. Understanding who's who can save you a small fortune each month.

OVH
OVH is based in France, but have space in DC's all over the world, they offer managed options and higher prices/customisation with 500Mbit guaranteed, has a mid tier option with slightly lower guaranteed speeds via SoYouStart (SYS) at 250Mbit on a a gigabit port and budget options via Kimsufi with 100Mbit, generally regarded as having very good peering and is a popular choice with other people looking for seed boxes.

Hetzner
The other well German known budget option, main site offers a wide range of options, auctions side is good for preconfigured hardware, unfortunately prices have gone up as virtual currency miners rent cheap hardware to mine on. That's in the process of readjusting, so hopefully prices will drop sooner rather than later. Longer term the main site (with set-up fee) can work out better value. Hetzner has an upload cap starting at 20TB and going up the more you spend each month. If you commit to paying 1 euro or so a TB for over they'll let you spend/upload as much as you want. German hosts tend to take longer to verify you and are less tolerant of (for example) adult content. Non German nationals pay sales tax on-top of published prices.

Myloc
Another German host who are less popular than Hetzner, main brand tends to focus on managed services, sub brands are Webtropia (3 options, can be customised) and ServDiscount (preconfigured ex. lease, like Hetzner Auctions). 300-500Mbit guaranteed on a gigabit port, no data quota. German hosts tend to take longer to verify you and are less tolerant of (for example) adult content. Non German nationals pay sales tax on-top of published prices.

Online.net
Main brand has a wide range of options, sub brand is oneprovider, they offer cheap packages on paper (2.5Gbit port speed on a cheap box). Support can be sow via oneprovider if they need to refer to online.net, server speeds can also vary significantly even in the same DC/corridor. When (if?) it works, it's OK value. Guaranteed speeds range from 300-500mbit depending on the offer, realistically a Kimsufi box has been shown to manage the same sort of throughput over extended tests.

I'm bound to have missed someone, my experience is more with the budget dedicated hosts rather than the higher end, so feel free to contribute - also if you use someone, please feel free to submit benchmark results in the 'Post Your Benchmarks' thread.

This is an excellent write up! I haven't tried myloc yet

Donations go towards the cost of the Server, Forum Cost, and Licenses!

cloud07

Reactions
8 0 0

OVH

Hetzner

Myloc

Online.net

Who do you utilize or end up going with?

OP
OP
Datamonkeh

Datamonkeh

Tech Support
Staff member
Tech Support
Donation Sponsor
Reactions
107 1 0
This is an excellent write up! I haven't tried myloc yet
If you are prepared to jump through a few hoops to convince them you reside in Germany, they are worth it.

Who do you utilize or end up going with?
I currently use Myloc, over the years i’ve used all of the above. Have a look at the speedtest post linked at the bottom of the first post for speed tests/more details.

Admin9705

Administrator
Staff member
Co-Founder
Reactions
265 1 1
If you are prepared to jump through a few hoops to convince them you reside in Germany, they are worth it.

I currently use Myloc, over the years i’ve used all of the above. Have a look at the speedtest post linked at the bottom of the first post for speed tests/more details.
Nice write up. Saw that you changed your info :D haha; stuff like that is always front page worthy :D Two i haven't used, but agree with your points on the servers such as OVH and online.net

OP
OP
Datamonkeh

Datamonkeh

Tech Support
Staff member
Tech Support
Donation Sponsor
Reactions
107 1 0
Nice write up. Saw that you changed your info :D haha; stuff like that is always front page worthy :D Two i haven't used, but agree with your points on the servers such as OVH and online.net
Didn’t have much choice after you pushed it to article status :) Besides, most Americans have no clue what crisps are, let alone Worcestershire Sauce.

If you have the money to burn, premium bandwidth, 10Gbit + NVMe SSD’s are cooler, but for your average friends/family set-up, low end is more than adequate.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Members online

Recommend Newshosts for PG

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
l0gge