EX42-NVMe 2x512GB Drives - is this enough!? | PlexGuide.com

EX42-NVMe 2x512GB Drives - is this enough!?

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

timmeh

Experienced+
Original poster
Feb 14, 2019
Hi guys,

I'm considering an upgrade from my auction Hetzner box which only has 2 x 1TB HDD which is starting to frustrated, well, just about everything in the PGBlitz process; initial load of movies, unpacking etc... it's all very slow...

So, I'm looking at the EX42-NVMe and noticed that a lot of people here use them. However the cheapest option only comes with 2x512Gb drives. Is this enough considering it would need to hold all the library metadata etc...?

Cheers,
TIMMEH!

DeadPool

Elite
Staff
May 2, 2018
Hello mate,
Yes that is more than enough in my opinion.
go for it

Reactions: 1 user

KnoXX

Citizen+
Donor
Feb 7, 2018
It depends on how big your metadata block is and what your download pattern looks like.
I am running two 1TB drives mirrored and have about 500GB left open.
These 500 GB can fill up relatively easily if you add a bunch of stuff at the same time (i.e. a bunch of shows etc)
You might get into the situation where you have to throttle downloads, as moving files to GDrive is limited by the 750GB/day policy.

timmeh

Experienced+
Original poster
Feb 14, 2019
Cheers guys... I think i'll get one then.

UncleBuck

Elite
Staff
Dec 21, 2018
I have a 1TB drive and a massive library. My metadata takes up around 200GB. I have had 40 plus movies in my download queue and have flirted with running out of space while waiting for recently downloaded items to upload. If you don't plan on having more than 15 to 20 downloads at once 512GB should be more than enough.

Vexilar

Active
Jun 10, 2019
It depends on how big your metadata block is and what your download pattern looks like.
I am running two 1TB drives mirrored and have about 500GB left open.
These 500 GB can fill up relatively easily if you add a bunch of stuff at the same time (i.e. a bunch of shows etc)
You might get into the situation where you have to throttle downloads, as moving files to GDrive is limited by the 750GB/day policy.
Not if you use a team drive :)

Nigel

Experienced+
Staff
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
I have a 1TB drive and a massive library. My metadata takes up around 200GB. I have had 40 plus movies in my download queue and have flirted with running out of space while waiting for recently downloaded items to upload. If you don't plan on having more than 15 to 20 downloads at once 512GB should be more than enough.
Did you disable thumbs and chapters? I still deciding between 2x 1 TB nvme or 512 x 2

UncleBuck

Elite
Staff
Dec 21, 2018
Did you disable thumbs and chapters? I still deciding between 2x 1 TB nvme or 512 x 2
I did not which probably accounts for most of the data. You really should be fine with 512GB but I love having the 1TB and not having to even worry about running out of space.

Vexilar

Active
Jun 10, 2019
I did not which probably accounts for most of the data. You really should be fine with 512GB but I love having the 1TB and not having to even worry about running out of space.
Just run in raid 0, you will get 1TB. Use the cron jobs to backup incase of drive failure, however lets be honest here a nvme failing is very low.

secretguy1808

Citizen
Oct 19, 2019
Just run in raid 0, you will get 1TB. Use the cron jobs to backup incase of drive failure, however lets be honest here a nvme failing is very low.
I have Ex42 running in Raid1 (default I guess). I am using Gdrive btw. Should I use raid0 instead? Seems like NVMe failure is a rare issue. Also How to change it without formatting the server because it took lot of effort to setup the server. (torrent downloader + vpn is the hardest to setup ughhh)

Vexilar

Active
Jun 10, 2019
I have Ex42 running in Raid1 (default I guess). I am using Gdrive btw. Should I use raid0 instead? Seems like NVMe failure is a rare issue. Also How to change it without formatting the server because it took lot of effort to setup the server. (torrent downloader + vpn is the hardest to setup ughhh)
You would have to configure the software raid at the time of setup, hetzners recovery script makes this easy as you are able to set the raid level in the script. However post setup trying to raid, from my knowledge isn't possible. Why use torrents anwyays, usenet is the way to go to get best download speeds, older content, and not exposing your server without the need of a VPN. I max my downloads out around 107mbps with Usenet, you also don't need to worry about seeding. If you truly wish to not resetup your server then Usenet is the way as it downloads then immediately offloads to the cloud. With over 300tb in the cloud I constantly have 700gb free even with 1tb+ queues. If for some reason you are running low on space throttle your download speed to allow the server to upload at a 1:1 ratio.

secretguy1808

Citizen
Oct 19, 2019
You would have to configure the software raid at the time of setup, hetzners recovery script makes this easy as you are able to set the raid level in the script. However post setup trying to raid, from my knowledge isn't possible. Why use torrents anwyays, usenet is the way to go to get best download speeds, older content, and not exposing your server without the need of a VPN. I max my downloads out around 107mbps with Usenet, you also don't need to worry about seeding. If you truly wish to not resetup your server then Usenet is the way as it downloads then immediately offloads to the cloud. With over 300tb in the cloud I constantly have 700gb free even with 1tb+ queues. If for some reason you are running low on space throttle your download speed to allow the server to upload at a 1:1 ratio.
I also have to download indian content which is not available in Usenet as I heard, even rare in torrents. Only movies are easily available and tv shows are available in Private trackers.
Also, I don't know how usenet works ?