EX42 or AX41 | PlexGuide.com

EX42 or AX41

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

Realoldfart

Noobz
Original poster
Nov 29, 2019
Hi guys I am looking to purchase a server for use with plexguide-sabnzb-sonaar-raddar and a minecraft server, and whatever else is needed for the smooth running of it, plex will have max of 5-10 users.
My choices are either the AX41 NVME or the EX42 NVME which do you guys think is the best for this purpose or are they much the same.

deva5610

Experienced
Donor
May 1, 2019
Will your users be transcoding or only doing direct play?

This is the most important factor deciding between the AX41 and the EX42 in my opinion.

If there's no transcoding then the AX41 wins hands down. The CPU is basically twice as powerful as the EX42 and it will wipe the floor with it. Can also add on ECC ram for 5 euro.

If transcoding then you need to make a choice. The Intel processors have an iGPU which allows Plex (with a Plex Pass) to offload the transcoding to hardware instead of smashing the CPU.

The EX42 will win in sheer transcoding performance just for that.

That said - I've got an AX41, 10-20 users, usually a couple of transcodes on the go and Plex/Radarr/Sonarr/SAB/Tautulli/Ombi/Hydra all running on it and the performance is brilliant. It will use more CPU while doing the transcodes than the EX42, but still not enough to affect performance anywhere (ie - it's not pegging it and slowing down any processes!).

Edit - 2 other things -
1) How quick do you want it? The AX41 have an up to 10 day turnaround time at the moment. The EX42 should be near instant.
2) Which location do you want? The EX42 is now only in Finland, the AX41 only Germany. A lot of people here seem to prefer Germany. I've been lucky and had no real issues with either location.
Post automatically merged:

I've set my environment up as a Proxmox host on the AX41, with everything Plexguide running on a KVM VM. Here you can see the overall host resource usage (Hourly Maximums) with two transcodes running (and another 2 small insignificant VMs not really adding much to the CPU usage. Maybe 1-2%).

You can see when the first transcode started there was a small spike in CPU and then when the second one started it spiked to 40% but then settled down to a constant 10-15% for them both.

prox.png
Post automatically merged:

For shits and giggles here's those same stats with daily maximums showing the past 3 days. Tautulli tells me the max simultaneous transcodes for the past 3 days was 4 so that'll be the 80% spike, but again it doesn't stay there long.

prox2.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Realoldfart

Noobz
Original poster
Nov 29, 2019
Thx for the reply I decided on the AX41, just got to wait the 10 days now :) that will give me time to decide on the best way to set the server up

bigdork

Citizen+
Aug 20, 2019
I'm debating the EX42 vs AX41 myself. I'm surprised 4 transcodes spiked you to 80%. Any additional detail as to what those were? 4K? 1080p? HEVC? etc

Chudz

Experienced
Donor
Patron
Mar 19, 2018
There is nothing surprising about it spiking to 80% it should be at 100%. The way Plex works is it transcodes 60 seconds of the video and it will use 100% CPU to do that. So even with 1 transcode it should spike at 80-100% CPU usage. The EX4* is not using the CPU so you wont see this spike.

Reactions: 1 users

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending