Original poster
Local time
1:56 PM
Apr 14, 2018
PG Version
Mount Type
Move Unencrypted
Hi all,

I've been trying to deploy a new GCE instance as my current one is starting to run out of credits.. This will be my 4th time deploying a new instance but my first time experiencing this issue. I have tried to deploy a new GCE instance using the PGblitz script (I am not doing this manually) and I get this error every time... I've tried deploying in a different region, using a different project ID, and even using a different server to deploy from.

Code:
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
?  Google Cloud Feeder Edition Failed!

⚡  Google Cloud Instance Detected, but you Failed to setup an NVME
   drive per the wiki! This mistake only occurs on manual GCE
   deployments. Most likely you setup an SSD instead! The install will
   continue, but this will fail! Wipe the box and setup again with an
   NVME Drive!

Press [ENTER] to Continue!
I noticed when I was deploying the server, there was a message that I haven't seen before while it was deleting old PG Template:

Code:
tail: cannot open '/var/plexguide/deploy.nvme' for reading: No such file or directory
Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this..? I have been trying for hours. :(

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Local time
3:56 PM
Jan 17, 2018
I’ll check into it. This hasn’t been touched in awhile. Are you deploying this on a new glove box. Most people make the mistake of using an ssd

eclipseserena

Local time
Oct 25, 2018
I’ll check into it. This hasn’t been touched in awhile. Are you deploying this on a new glove box. Most people make the mistake of using an ssd
I'm fairly confident SSD isnt even an option when using PGBLITZ

To add an additional bug, irregardless of how a many NVME drives one selects pgui shows an inaccurate amount of disk space "194"

Dylan

Original poster
Local time
Apr 14, 2018
@Admin9705 I am allowing PGBlitz to generate the instance for me, I am not manually creating it

rareza35

Local time
2:56 PM
Aug 3, 2018
good to know, i'll run some test this week and patch it. working on the pg9 upload process.
Let me know when the patch is ready to make a new installation, the installation I am doing with nvme is consuming me more than 100dls / month, I hope with the automatic installation it is best and little cheaper and the credit lasts longer. Thanks

sumisu-jon

Local time
11:56 PM
Oct 23, 2018
I was having the same issue with an instance in europe-north1 (Finland). The solution was to wipe it clean and start fresh with the default one in US.

Reactions: Admin9705

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Local time
Jan 17, 2018
I was having the same issue with an instance in europe-north1 (Finland). The solution was to wipe it clean and start fresh with the default one in US.
thanks for the report

spizzetz

Local time
12:56 PM
May 30, 2019
I found the solution for me was to ensure to click on nvme and manually enter the number of drives I wanted. It is by default 1 and I tried deploying 3 times where the Google nvme failed since I just left it as default. The 4 time I clicked on the nvme option and entered 2 and then installed and it went perfect. I then did it again with 3 and it also worked perfect.
I recommend to not use the default number as it seems that was what was causing my issue.

PS thank you so much admin for all you'll hard work. This is by far the best program to use for Plex set ups. I have been telling all my friends about it!

Reactions: Admin9705

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Local time
Jan 17, 2018
I found the solution for me was to ensure to click on nvme and manually enter the number of drives I wanted. It is by default 1 and I tried deploying 3 times where the Google nvme failed since I just left it as default. The 4 time I clicked on the nvme option and entered 2 and then installed and it went perfect. I then did it again with 3 and it also worked perfect.
I recommend to not use the default number as it seems that was what was causing my issue.

PS thank you so much admin for all you'll hard work. This is by far the best program to use for Plex set ups. I have been telling all my friends about it!
No problem; thanks for looking into it :D

Dylan

Original poster
Local time
Apr 14, 2018
Still not working for me, no matter what I try this is what I get :(

tail: cannot open '/var/plexguide/deploy.nvme' for reading: No such file or directory

eclipseserena

Local time
Oct 25, 2018
I think in addition to this issue a reboot of the GCE forces it to dismount the NVME and data is all lost

Last edited:

vFlagR

Respected Member
Staff
Local time
8:56 PM
Aug 27, 2018
Glasgow, Scotland
Still not working for me, no matter what I try this is what I get :(

Not sure if you solved this but if you didn't then the below command should create the missing file that you need.

Code:
echo "--local-ssd interface=nvme" > /var/plexguide/deploy.nvme

Last edited:

vFlagR

Respected Member
Staff
Local time
8:56 PM
Aug 27, 2018
Glasgow, Scotland
Are you saying it's a known bug or designed that way or simply cant be fixed?
It's a limitation of Google Cloud Platform. You can't restart or stop an instance with an NVME drive as they act like RAM and don't hold data across reboots

I've actually been working on a version of GCE that uses hard drives instead of NVME so the instance can be stopped. I plan to open a discussion about possibly moving this in to the main branch

Reactions: KingyBear1

kennsann

Local time
4:56 AM
Sep 14, 2019
I'm also getting this error. Is there no fix?

Found the fix, must manually set the NVMe to 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: skuid87

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.