Failure error gathering device information while adding custom device "/dev/dri": not a device node | PlexGuide.com

Failure error gathering device information while adding custom device "/dev/dri": not a device node

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

mariohi

Citizen
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Happens when I try to start Emby or Jellyfin container after migrating to new GCE. I tried to remove/reinstall/ restore but is not having any of these. Any idea how to fix it?

mariohi

Citizen
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
I also tried to install Plex and seme thing happened. I removed containers for above apps and deleted data from /opt/appdata/

When reinstalling Jellyfing I notice it came up with this error

TASK [Deploying jellyfin] ******************************************************
Friday 13 December 2019 17:45:08 +0000 (0:00:00.158) 0:00:07.277 *******
fatal: [127.0.0.1]: FAILED! => {"changed": false, "msg": "Error starting container 8a5268ec95a92702591671061ea0e255f752728137a12e2f2812195063c420b8: 500 Server Error: Internal Server Error (\"error gathering device information while adding custom device \"/dev/dri\": not a device node\")"}
to retry, use: --limit @/opt/coreapps/apps/jellyfin.retry

Can someone point me to any direction?

benjamato1

Citizen
Donor
Feb 1, 2020
I'm having the same issue now with plex. Reinstalled but the container will not start. Since no one responded to you, what did you end up doing to correct this?

doob

Administrator
Project Manager
Jun 7, 2020
Just do the IGPU part again

You will see some parts gets readded

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
make sure your username and root are part of the video group:
sudo usermod -aG video root
sudo usermod -aG video YourUsername

timekills

VIP
Staff
Donor
Sep 12, 2018

4) Add user root (or whoever is the user running the Plex service) to the video group:
4a. sudo usermod -a -G video root

5) Reboot the server

6) Try ls -la /dev/dri now it should find the folder and list drivers

7) chmod -R 777 /dev/dri to change permissions (critical step for use in Docker!

timekills

VIP
Staff
Donor
Sep 12, 2018
I have not needed to do this. adding root/username to the video group should eliminate the need to do this.
That should work as well. It's a decision between the risk to setting a file as globally executable (chmod 777) - which I generally wouldn't do - vice the risk that that gaining access to the username gets complete access.

I suppose I prefer to have one file at risk for exploiting rather than complete ownership if the user is exploited, but as above, it's which risk you're more comfortable with taking.

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
That should work as well. It's a decision between the risk to setting a file as globally executable (chmod 777) - which I generally wouldn't do - vice the risk that that gaining access to the username gets complete access.

I suppose I prefer to have one file at risk for exploiting rather than complete ownership if the user is exploited, but as above, it's which risk you're more comfortable with taking.
I believe the issue with +777 route is I thought the resource mount permissions reset at each reboot.

Reactions: 1 user

timekills

VIP
Staff
Donor
Sep 12, 2018
I believe the issue with +777 route is I thought the resource mount permissions reset at each reboot.
Hmm. I'd have thought I'd have heard/seen that before but I just checked, and you are absolutely correct.
Oddly, it still works for hardware encoding on the two (an i7- 8700 and a Xeon E3-1275V6) servers I use.
I can't say why it works afterward, when the Docker container should be limited in access after the base OS reverts the rights.
I may change the instructions on that page. I'll do some more testing and see which makes more sense to recommend.
Thanks!

doob

Administrator
Project Manager
Jun 7, 2020
750 is more then enough

Code:
sudo usermod -aG sudo $(grep "1000" /etc/passwd | cut -d: -f1 | awk '{print $1}')

sudo usermod -s /bin/bash $(grep "1000" /etc/passwd | cut -d: -f1 | awk '{print $1}')

sudo usermod -aG video $(grep "1000" /etc/passwd | cut -d: -f1 | awk '{print $1}')

sudo usermod -aG docker $(grep "1000" /etc/passwd | cut -d: -f1 | awk '{print $1}')

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending