Discussion - G-Suite’s being shut down for violation of terms of service | PlexGuide.com

Discussion G-Suite’s being shut down for violation of terms of service

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

timmeh

Veteran
Original poster
Feb 14, 2019
Reports on other plex forums about GSuite accounts being shut down for breaching terms of service. Users reported that they did not use encryption to store files, and have 4 service accounts.

I’m getting a little nervous so I’m going to make the switch from unencrypted to encrypted. Everything is already on TDrive. Can I simply turn on encryption or do I have to re-upload everything?

YellowMonster

Citizen
Nov 29, 2018
Im hearing the same thing, I hope it’s just an out of control rumour. From what I understand you have to reupload. What the best way to download everything locally?

gadgethome

Veteran
Staff
Donor
Dec 28, 2018
If you encrypt, does plex and remote access to plex still work as normal? Does it affect performance?

timmeh

Veteran
Original poster
Feb 14, 2019
Apparently not - it’s absolutely fine. It’s just a password in plexguide which makes it all accessible to the server and all the apps.

timetrex

Elite
Staff
Oct 22, 2018
One guy posts on on Facebook and suddenly it's supposed to be a ban hammer. The guy probably used edu acc , despite what he said or shared a public link.

Reactions: 1 users

timmeh

Veteran
Original poster
Feb 14, 2019
Agree. No idea what else they were using it for. G-suite has a new chief and they’re making a lot of changes. And if they are taking a tougher stance and cracking down then, IMO it’s best to be prepared. Anyone got a walkthrough if how to encrypt everything? Do I actually need to physically locally download everything and then re-upload, or can I simply setup a fresh GSuite account and mv everything over to that and abandon the old one?

Reactions: 1 user

jim2fast4u

Citizen+
Jul 12, 2018
I was looking through the forum threads where people discussed it and it seemed a bit tricky to do with several steps.

I have been thinking about encrypting and probably need to look at this sooner rather than later as the library is constantly growing.

I’m in Australia so downloading and uploading is a non-go. So a GCE type solution may do the job.

I am also interested in not using the team drive setup but rather the encrypted gdrive.

I look forward to hearing of some workflows

Rumour - let’s hope so as I have collected some shows that are near impossible to find anywhere.

Vexilar

Active
Jun 10, 2019
I have well over 400tb in the cloud, however I encrypted it all from the start. No it does not effect performance in any way, however yes is does take extra precaution as if you mess up your encrypt folder in anyway you could lose all your data in a second.

Seaberry

Citizen+
Jun 28, 2019
How long did it take you to upload so much ? Half year ? You got your own netflix man. 400tb is huge.

Chudz

Experienced
Donor
Patron
Mar 19, 2018
A few people been "banned" if it is even that. Ddurdles team drives, mine and I know a few others. It might be people who had quite a few shared drives made or something as it looks like your ebaying them. However Google support have said its a problem with domains and g suite and it's messing something up don't really understand what but I guess we wait and see if they come back.

Daveid

Citizen+
Staff
Donor
Jun 22, 2018
Yeah I had everything on a Ddurdle Team Drive, now gone. Really regretting not replicating that 2-3 different Team Drives..

jim2fast4u

Citizen+
Jul 12, 2018
When first starting down this path most discussion around any account deactivations came down to shares being made from the drive. Also, videos being linked to and watched via google drive.

I will await further information regarding this.

Daveid

Citizen+
Staff
Donor
Jun 22, 2018
Sorry for the late reply. You would use rclone's server-to-server copy function (--drive-server-side-across-configs=true), as it doesn't need to download and upload the data into Drive which saves on bandwidth/time. Problem is the 750GB a day limit, but looks like I just found a github project that can circumvent this: https://github.com/Spazzlo/folderclone

Maybe something to incorporate @Admin9705? :)

Vexilar

Active
Jun 10, 2019
I myself use domains and g suite, still no issue. Was your data encrypted, also how many drives did you have? I only have 1 drive.

Chudz

Experienced
Donor
Patron
Mar 19, 2018
had about 5 or 6 drives most empty tho. All un-encrypted. I used 3rd party domain and it expired never renewed it as didnt need it.

gonesupergmx

Active
Aug 19, 2018
i’ve lost access to mine but it looked like an over use as rclone failed the gda check.

i can still access and playback via gdrive app on pc but my unencrypted mount is a no go. hoping tomorrow it’s just a case of over use as i had a bad quality setting in radarr so it was grabbing huge files.

if all is well tomorrow i’ll make a new gsuite and figure out a way to encrypt it

ramm

Citizen
Nov 26, 2019
My encrypted GSuite is fine but lost a couple of team drives that had unencrypted content yesterday. Team drives were from weird sources though so it could be unrelated

crustyakorn

Experienced
Aug 30, 2018
I lost everything in my Team Drive yesterday.
No logs, nothing. Just noticed Plex didn't play my content and checked the Rclone logs. "404" errors and upon inspecting my account in Google Drive - gone. As if it was never there.

Regret not having a "second plan" here but I completely went for this as I've had the Team Drive for almost 2 years. Bought it off some reseller on eBay.

Unencrypted. Had about 800 GB. Series and Movies.

internety1

Citizen
Jun 24, 2019
Got the same, bought few team drives from ebay. All gone.
Got one more standing team drive but I am worried about it also, I have it from of the reddit sellers (with edu domain)
Got one G Suite account from ebay where I pay monthly, all data is intact.
I wonder if those G Suite accounts from ebay where you buy them once are go or no go ?

Seaberry

Citizen+
Jun 28, 2019
It is best if had your own gsuite so you pay 10usd per month and can storage unlimited data. The stuff sold on ebay is mostly .edu or the buy an domain which is connected to a legit paid gsuitem. After they sold enough they stop paying and your teamdrives is lost.

internety1

Citizen
Jun 24, 2019
I think for some 12$ a month is still to much.
Also you also keep a bit of anonymity if you will set it up with fake gmail account.

Ross

Active
Donor
Oct 8, 2018
I think people need to get a grip if they won't pay $12 a month for 100Tb/200Tb/300Tb of storage! Try buying that space in physical drives, or even finding another host that'll do that...

If you're too tight to pony up $12 a month for your content, which at these volumes we're talking about in the dozens or hundreds of Tb of storage, you're *clearly* sharing with others) then you need to give your head a wobble.

gadgethome

Veteran
Staff
Donor
Dec 28, 2018
What are the step to do to move from unencrypted to encrypted?

Do you change the transport type first in pgblitz, keys, email addresses then manually use rclone to move from /mnt/tdrive/ to /mnt/tcrypt/ ?

Thanks

nerdy

Noobz
Apr 7, 2019
I am in the middle of doing this now. Just redeployed using encrypt. Then copy everything from gdrive to gcrypt. I am having some issues though where pgmove starts copying the file from /mnt/move to /mnt/gcrypt before the whole file has been copied resulting in truncated files. I might create a separate post about that.

timmeh

Veteran
Original poster
Feb 14, 2019
Hi @Edrock200 - do you know how to mount 2 Tdrives (from 2 desperate accounts) at the same time using rclone?

Reading the forums, it looks like a lot of people Really want and would benefit from having everything backed up and encrypted to a second TDrive. I know I would.

I currently have everything unencrypted in TDrive 1 and would like to rclone encrypt everything to a fresh google account (TDrive 2) using a GCE.

Once data is transferred, I’d then like my Hetzner/GCE feeder to download to both T1 and T2.

I’m sure this must be possible but I can’t find any Wiki literature on it at all.

From a redundancy perspective, I think this would be really useful for the community to know how to do.

So if you know how I’d really appreciate some pointers!

Cheers,
TIMMEH!

jim2fast4u

Citizen+
Jul 12, 2018
Sort of what I was thinking.
Look forward to a step by step as I haven’t played with encryption.

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
Hey timmeh
You wouldn't actually need to mount them at the same time, though you could if you really wanted to. Basically, here are the high level steps:
Create a new remote in rclone (rclone config) to your new team drive
Create a new crypt remote pointing to the new remote you just created
Then you would sync using rclones native sync feature:
Rclone sync sourceremote: cryptremote:

With regards to setting up two, one decrypt and one encrypt, I'm not sure if you mean you will have two separate instances of blitz running? If so then it's fairly easy, just point one of each to each team drive, and use a script to keep radarr/sonarr in sync.

If you only have one instance of pg blitz, you can set a cronjob to run hourly or at some interval to run that same rclone sync command between your two team drives. Note sync is a mirroring function, if the dest has a file that the source doesn't, it will delete it at the destination. If you want to be able to add to both sides, then use
Rclone copy source: crypt: and vice versa to keep them in sync without deleting content.

By the way this is how I'm doing this now, encrypting from a non encrypted disparate account. I'm able to do about 8tb/day so only a few days left. ?

Hope this helps!

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
Guys, keep in mind that your gsuites are not being shut down. There are two reasons that people reporting this fail to admit.

1. User has an ebay or edu account.
  • EBay - This is just really dumb and being cheap. Someone is charging to add you as a member. This is dangerous because they have access to your files. Worse, if your signing in with that gmail account, they can extract your google data and etc. Heck, they can change your password and steal your account.
  • Edu - Ya saves money but the admin again has access to your account. Be careful in that they can see the size of the account and just delete it.
2. Sharing Links or Team Drives
  • This is the easiest way to get your account to be shut down. Keep in mind that google respects your account because it's a business account. They are not after accounts. But they are after accounts that force there hand. Sharing a simple link and worse your team drive is the easiest way to flag your account.
If your not in this boat, your fine. Trust me, there would be a large outcry on tons of major sites if this were to happen on outright deletions. Google is playing smart because it creates competition against other services. Even if your account comes at a cost, google is making on a ton who use it just for gmail. Also, it drives a wedge between microsoft expensive storage solutions, box, and etc.

Reactions: 7 users

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
Completely agree with you. I'm encrypting my drive not for the reasons stated in this thread, but I want to store some family photos and docs out there too and prefer they be encrypted.

crustyakorn

Experienced
Aug 30, 2018
I agree.

I can't really be mad for this happening - I took the chance buying an account for a "One-off" price. Problem was I took it for granted. Worked smooth for years ?

Thinking of going for a self-hosted solution going forward with local storage. I don't "need" Unlimited TB of storage. I'd manage fine with my own content having 5-10 TB by a long shot.

Still; Google Drive solution is pretty awesome. And I'd say worth 12 $ a month easily if you store a lot and don't want to think about it.

06ankara

Noobz
Oct 2, 2019
Hi,

I'm a newbie and have a quick question about this.

i have a g suite with domain name and created there 2 users and 1 team drive
As example

users:
[email protected]
[email protected]

teamdrive:
PLX

Both users are managers of this team drive.
I'm using my server with pgblitz without any issue's. (i'm from Germany)

Because of slow internet connection for streaming in Bulgaria my friend is not be able to use plex but he has no issue's when he use google drive to watch them.
I want to give login credentials of [email protected] to my friend so he can watch the movies and tvshows on his phone or thru googledrive there in Bulgaria.
Will this brings a ban or shutdown situation of my google account or am i safe?

appreciate your advices guys.

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending