G Suite Unlimited Data Ending? | PlexGuide.com

G Suite Unlimited Data Ending?

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
If there is no reference made to Tdrive changes then we can assume there is none?
No, we can assume they haven't updated the documentation yet. There is still documentation that says gdrive biz is unlimited with 5+ users. Not the new "as much as you need" language.

BornSlacker

Citizen
Feb 12, 2019
I don't know if this will be helpful or if this has already been posted but, I called them and spoke to a sales guy. I told him I had one active user and only pay $12 a month and am on the G Suite Business flex plan. He said if I do nothing by December, I'll be switched over to the equivalent plan which would be the "Google Workspace Enterprise Standard". He said that enables one user to have unlimited space for $20 a month. I went into my console and found an upgrade option that seems to confirm this.

So maybe worst case scenario I go from $12 a month to $20 a month? If so, that's not great news but not the worst news ever.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

axlrod

Active
Jun 6, 2019
For me I think it is back to local storage. I have just enough to meet what I have and will throw another disk in for growth. I am not going to abandon it until I have to; so I'll just set up a couple rsync jobs to keep things up to date once a night until it all works out. BestBuy in the US is doing their Prime Day competition sales so shuckable 10GB Easystore drives are down under $200.

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
For me I think it is back to local storage. I have just enough to meet what I have and will throw another disk in for growth. I am not going to abandon it until I have to; so I'll just set up a couple rsync jobs to keep things up to date once a night until it all works out. BestBuy in the US is doing their Prime Day competition sales so shuckable 10GB Easystore drives are down under $200.
I'm doing something somewhat similar in that I'm merging local storage into unionfs, and simultaneously writing to local and gsuite. Union will prefer local. So I will have all new content local and plex can go out and grab from gsuite for anything non local.

axlrod

Active
Jun 6, 2019
I'm doing something somewhat similar in that I'm merging local storage into unionfs, and simultaneously writing to local and gsuite. Union will prefer local. So I will have all new content local and plex can go out and grab from gsuite for anything non local.
That sounds like it deserves a write up for how to configure it :). I am a complete nub when it comes to all the stuff happening with rclone/pgblitz in the background.

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
That sounds like it deserves a write up for how to configure it :). I am a complete nub when it comes to all the stuff happening with rclone/pgblitz in the background.
Once the 16th rolls around and there's some confirmation that TD's will.behave the same (unlimited UpTo 400k objects), then I will write it up. That will give me time to finish my testing as well.

For all those saying "I switched to enterprise and it's unlimited!" I'm not trying to be a negative Nancy but google has said the new limits won't go into effect until 10/16 and enforcement won't start until later this year for legacy accounts.

The fine print is there. So best to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
Amazon just happen to have cheap 14TB deals on at the moment... must resist ;)

On_fire

Citizen
Aug 16, 2019
There has been a ton of assumptions and crazy conjecture in here, so let me explain some things and put y'all's mind's a bit at ease.

1. This is a business service and they have a reputation to uphold. They don't go snooping around in your files unless they get a complaint about something, and they definitely won't delete any of your data without warning. Why? PR and lawsuits with no liability ceiling... If either of those happened they could theoretically cause billions of dollars of damage to even a single small company. (Yes, there are multi-billion dollar companies with < 10 employees. Crazy huh?) And at best, the lawsuit would be expensive for Google, even if they won it. This is simply not a position that Google would be willing to put itself in just to change it's product offerings or eliminate difficult users, especially considering something like that could effect thousands of companies...

2. Because of point 1, the absolute worst you can expect is that you would have a price increase to about $20/usr and have download only access to your extra data for at least a year... (I highly doubt they would cap your upload though...) They have to give you a reasonable time to find an alternative without data loss. And again, we are talking about business accounts here, businesses don't often move fast. With several hundreds of TB, and APIs being involved businesses can't just move overnight. It could take months to sign a contract with another company and even longer to develop replacement tools for interacting with the API... Worst case scenario you have to talk to them and tell them that the new plans aren't going to work for you and that you need several months to find a new company to host your "research data" and have your software rewritten to use the new host's API. You will have plenty of time to move your library if need be.

3. Now that we have covered the worst case, let's cover what's actually likely... Currently, the terms already allow them to limit data for accounts with less than 5 users. It's highly unlikely that they are changing everything to make it more restrictive for data hoarders when they don't even enforce the policies that they already have... Those policies are there as a safety net in case things get crazy, but enforcing them would be extremely unpopular, especially given how difficult it could be for a company to monitor/manage their usage. The new plans specifically say there is no minimum user requirement on the enterprise plans, but the fine print says that you only get 1 or 5 TB/user, or more upon reasonable request. This is very similar to the fine print on the existing plan that isn't enforced, and is also unlikely to be enforced. However, even if it were to be enforced, (which I find very unlikely,) that just means you call them up every few months and tell them your "research data" is growing and you need some more space. As long as you are asking for an expansion that is reasonable given your current data size and how fast your data has been growing they won't likely decline you...

4. Some people are worried about being non-compliant with the 5 user minimum under the current rules or the 1Tb/5Tb per user rule under the new terms and potentially losing all of their data. Let me reiterate, this is a business service and they can't risk deleting a companies data over a misunderstanding. Particularly when they make it difficult to see just how much space your account is using and don't make any effort to stop you from exceeding this limit. It would be suicide for them to do anything more than send you a warning email. If they ever deleted a companies data over something like that it would be all over the tech news and companies would be leaving left and right. Not going to happen. (Not saying that it's perfectly safe mind you, for technical reasons you still shouldn't put your important eggs all in one basket. But this isn't something to worry about, Google is far more likely to lose one of your files by accident...)

So, take a deep breath, more than likely everything is fine aside from an $8/month price hike sometime within the next several months. And even if it isn't fine, you will almost certainly have plenty of time to move your stuff if you ask nicely...

Reactions: 14 users

On_fire

Citizen
Aug 16, 2019
I'm just curious, have we heard anything new?
The email that was referred to as going out by 10/16 was received by several people a few days ago and was posted and discussed earlier in this thread, I think Edrock200 just missed that. It was pretty vague and just reiterated some of what we already knew, but said they would be "sharing additional information over the coming months to identify a transition path that best suits your needs." So everyone has a few months at least, but probably significantly longer. Many companies will take months to make and implement a transition plan after more details are available, and many will refuse to be in the first wave of transitions because they don't want to break stuff... These are huge changes, particularly to pricing and for companies that have 100-10,000+ it's a huge deal that will require a ton of planning, nothing is changing quickly here...

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
The email that was referred to as going out by 10/16 was received by several people a few days ago and was posted and discussed earlier in this thread, I think Edrock200 just missed that. It was pretty vague and just reiterated some of what we already knew, but said they would be "sharing additional information over the coming months to identify a transition path that best suits your needs." So everyone has a few months at least, but probably significantly longer. Many companies will take months to make and implement a transition plan after more details are available, and many will refuse to be in the first wave of transitions because they don't want to break stuff... These are huge changes, particularly to pricing and for companies that have 100-10,000+ it's a huge deal that will require a ton of planning, nothing is changing quickly here...
Indeed I did. It looks like Google's intentionally being vague. Most likely to guage any complaint fall out from customers, especially while under the scrutiny of the ftc antitrust trials. From what I've seen the following is known:
1. Google will force everyone to migrate to workspaces in the next several months.
2. If you are on an annual plan, your plan will continue until your term is up, then you have to migrate.
3. Their is no minimum user count for enterprise plans
4. Enterprise plans state "as much as you need", but come with 1TB/user for 1 to 4 users, or 5TB/user for 5+, after that tickets need to be submitted to google for increases.

What isn't known yet:
1. The definitive timeline that people will be forced to migrate.
2. If the amount you have in gdrive will be your default starting ceiling, or if you'll be forced to reduce to the 1 or 5TB limit.
3. If teamdrives fall under the new restrictions and/or any new requirements or limitations for teamdrives.

I think #3 will be the one item that will possibly save the data hoarders from moving to local storage. If team drives stick around as is, people should be fine. It would be difficult for Google to police or force restrictions against team drives given how many organizations already use them widely, but that could just be wishful thinking on my part.

crustyakorn

Experienced
Aug 30, 2018
I think we should take it easy.
I believe most of these changes are enforced upon new users - they will not force any change to existing users / setups.

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
I think we should take it easy.
I believe most of these changes are enforced upon new users - they will not force any change to existing users / setups.
I sincerely hope that's the case but I think people should plan for the worst. At the very least start cloning my drive content to a team drive if you store in mydrive. Not trying to be a pessimist by any means, but don't want to see people lose their data. Especially for those that use their gdrives to store/encrypt personal items such as photos or documents.

The good news is, it seems if they do enforce you will most likely have an opp to grab the content. I had a friend of a friend get their account banned due to TOS sharing violations and he submitted a ticket to get a copy of his data. It won't be available for 2 weeks or so but at least he will be able to download it.

Point being, "commercial" media, imo, is replaceable, but if you store things that cannot be easily replaced, I'd recommend backing them up to another source.

Reactions: 1 user

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
Sounds like a good idea. I have never used the team drive, is there a guide for the setup process and then cloning?
I use this https://github.com/88lex/sa-guide

It's easier if you create two team drives, drag your mydrive content to a TeamDrive, and clone from one td to another, then drag one copy back into team drive. If your using unionfs paths, it's easiest to create the TD's, then redeploy pg clone with the team drive option, then move your content to the td. That way plex/emby/etc wont see a difference since pg will merge the TD and mydrive into unionfs.

doob

Administrator
Project Manager
Jun 7, 2020
Why so complicated

Simple use Server-Side

rclone copy SourceA: SourceB: --transfers=4 --checkers=8 --config=/rclone.conf.file

SourceA > remote destination
sample tdriveA:

SourceB > source destination
sample.tdriveB:

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
Why so complicated

Simple use Server-Side

rclone copy SourceA: SourceB: --transfers=4 --checkers=8 --config=/rclone.conf.file

SourceA > remote destination
sample tdriveA:

SourceB > source destination
sample.tdriveB:
Server side is still limited to 750G on copy

timmeh

Veteran
Feb 14, 2019
Most of my stuff is on TDrive, however app backups are on GDrive.
When looking at the PGVault setup, it only allows me to change the processing location (which is local at /opt/appdata/plexguide)
Is there a way to change the backup location to the TDrive?

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending