GCE Feeder Edition - Why no torrents? | PlexGuide.com

GCE Feeder Edition - Why no torrents?

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

Somedude

Experienced
Staff
Oct 28, 2018
Glanced through, looks like I am late to the party. Here are my reasons I would never use torrents on GCE

1.) If you use public trackers or the large private trackers that are almost public, you run the risk of DMCA. Your personal information is tied to that server and Google will shut you down.

2.) Google may or may not flag your for alot of torrent usage. Don't know for sure since no one has tried it

3.) you pay for all outgoing bandwidth. If you use a big tracker and seed you will burn through your credits insanely fast

4.) The cost of storage for seeding

5.) If you run out of credits early with stuff seeding, your can get HNRs and risk getting banned

6.) Some trackers require you to add an IP to your account for seedbox. If you get a new IP every month or two with GCE you can be banned.

7.) Your identity and payment details are tied to that sever. you're as safe as if you torrented at home without a VPN.

MrSweet1991

Experienced+
Original poster
Jan 30, 2019
Glanced through, looks like I am late to the party. Here are my reasons I would never use torrents on GCE

1.) If you use public trackers or the large private trackers that are almost public, you run the risk of DMCA. Your personal information is tied to that server and Google will shut you down.

2.) Google may or may not flag your for alot of torrent usage. Don't know for sure since no one has tried it

3.) you pay for all outgoing bandwidth. If you use a big tracker and seed you will burn through your credits insanely fast

4.) The cost of storage for seeding

5.) If you run out of credits early with stuff seeding, your can get HNRs and risk getting banned

6.) Some trackers require you to add an IP to your account for seedbox. If you get a new IP every month or two with GCE you can be banned.

7.) Your identity and payment details are tied to that sever. you're as safe as if you torrented at home without a VPN.
Those are some really good points above and well presented! for me personally, I donate for freeleech so I can download as much as I want and can instantly remove once uploaded to Gdrive so for me a few of the points above aren't an issue. Though, I am curious about how realistic a DMCA is from IPTorrents see I thought a private tracker meant there releases are from certain trusted sources whereas public trackers can have files uploaded by anyone and therefore they just monitor the ip addresses connecting to it?

captngimpy

Experienced+
Staff
Mar 14, 2018
This is a big reason I converted over to using usenet again. Even with private trackers and free leech, the price I pay for usenet access and for indexer is superseded by the amount of content I can ge /have gotten. If you are someone who isn't downloading a whole lot then it may be easier to skip the GCE setup and just use one box for downloading and running plex on.

Somedude

Experienced
Staff
Oct 28, 2018
Those are some really good points above and well presented! for me personally, I donate for freeleech so I can download as much as I want and can instantly remove once uploaded to Gdrive so for me a few of the points above aren't an issue. Though, I am curious about how realistic a DMCA is from IPTorrents see I thought a private tracker meant there releases are from certain trusted sources whereas public trackers can have files uploaded by anyone and therefore they just monitor the ip addresses connecting to it?
Private trackers are typically safer than a public tracker but no full proof. Also larger trackers like IPT are known well enough that if Google wanted they can IP block downloading files from their site. Also traffic can be monitored based on the source IP and the protocol used for the traffic. This makes it really easy for Google to monitor what your'e doing for anything that violates their TOS. So it variables like these and more that makes torrents on Google risky since no one really knows what they monitor, how, and what they really care about.

MrSweet1991

Experienced+
Original poster
Jan 30, 2019
Private trackers are typically safer than a public tracker but no full proof. Also larger trackers like IPT are known well enough that if Google wanted they can IP block downloading files from their site. Also traffic can be monitored based on the source IP and the protocol used for the traffic. This makes it really easy for Google to monitor what your'e doing for anything that violates their TOS. So it variables like these and more that makes torrents on Google risky since no one really knows what they monitor, how, and what they really care about.
Brilliant, well I have to say I'm really impressed by Usenet now. As a torrenter I found it really difficult to transition to usenet mainly because of the learner curve (providers, indexers, backbones) but once you've got the gist of things you understand the benefits. I suppose from now on I'll try to limit private trackers for things I just can't get from indexers

captngimpy

Experienced+
Staff
Mar 14, 2018
Brilliant, well I have to say I'm really impressed by Usenet now. As a torrenter I found it really difficult to transition to usenet mainly because of the learner curve (providers, indexers, backbones) but once you've got the gist of things you understand the benefits. I suppose from now on I'll try to limit private trackers for things I just can't get from indexers
I have been pretty hard pressed to find anything that I really wanted and couldn't get it on an indexer. I know years back I used usenet for a while with one provider and manually searched for nzbs. Then I found a private tracker and went that route for a few years. Then went legit for a few years. An now that I found PG its like a whole new world. I have found ebooks seem to be easier to find on trackers just cause I haven't dove into Lazylibrarian to much yet. And they aren't for me they are for my dad who I have taught to use the tracker and my other server and have a workflow setup for him that is pretty simple.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
I have been pretty hard pressed to find anything that I really wanted and couldn't get it on an indexer. I know years back I used usenet for a while with one provider and manually searched for nzbs. Then I found a private tracker and went that route for a few years. Then went legit for a few years. An now that I found PG its like a whole new world. I have found ebooks seem to be easier to find on trackers just cause I haven't dove into Lazylibrarian to much yet. And they aren't for me they are for my dad who I have taught to use the tracker and my other server and have a workflow setup for him that is pretty simple.
welcome to usenet! i had someone argue with me for 14 days solid about usenet and etc, so i ran with it and became an addict since (i think the site proves it) haha

captngimpy

Experienced+
Staff
Mar 14, 2018
Like I said years back it was kinda pain but with all the automation and bow I can afford to pay for indexers and access

quadiator

Active
Feb 8, 2019
While we are on GCE/torrents/Usenet. A quick question.

Usenet -> GCE = mostly incoming traffic, so that pretty much free

What about..
GCE -> Gdrive = ?? . In theory it's all in Google, so will this bandwidth be counted?

I am looking at GCE instance with STRM to serve via Emby.

I know with STRM the idea is to use Google transcoding and bandwidth. I have a 10gb 1080p file, when using STRM, Google 1080 transcode got that to 4GB. Is there a bit rate difference? My TV is not good enough to notice a difference. Would love to hear your views.

I am wondering why many more don't go this route of STRM served via Emby and go through the hassle of getting a VPS, CDN etc..etc..

Last edited:

Somedude

Experienced
Staff
Oct 28, 2018
Google does not charge any bandwidth uploaded to any of their services, including Google drive. Also, the majority of people use plex and have no clue what a STRM file is. I had to google it.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

captngimpy

Experienced+
Staff
Mar 14, 2018
I saw something a while back and was interested, but it just doesn't seem to be a popular idea yet. I also don't want to switch everything thing over to Emby unless I have too. I have been playing with jelly fin for IPTV my problem is most of my users including my self are using XBox1 as an endpoint and I have already paid for a plexpass. So switching to something else kinda stings.

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending