Hello Everyone! (Please See Question)

Jstrawsine

PG First Class
PG Donor
Jan 8, 2019
Reactions
4 0 0
After a series of unfortunate events that caused my at home server and NAS to be completely inoperable I began looking into hosting Plex in the cloud. At first, there appeared to be no useful resources and I was beginning to lose hope... That was until I found this amazing PlexGuide community! I cannot believe all the effort that has been put into this project and am truly thankful. Today, I already work in the IT Industry as a technical consultant, but hope to get more experience with Linux and Gsuite products.

As a new user I am trying to weigh the pro's and con's of hosting in the cloud. First is cost, because I typically paid $50 a month for electricity just to run my server 24/7. Second is security, I understand the process of Newshosting relatively well and feel comfortable downloading material. However, as of now I plan on using Google's Compute Engine and have some concerns as to what they track.

Finally, I am trying to get a better understanding of how this all works.... Will be trying to install tonight. There is only one area of confusion I have and that is storage. Is the Unlimited Google Drive supposed to be associated storage for a VM? In my case utilizing Google's Compute Engine... Or specifically for Backups? I have not yet researched the purpose of Rclone and other features.

Attachments

thepj

PG Master Sergeant
Tech Lead
Nov 13, 2018
Arizona, USA
Reactions
57 0 0
unlimited storage would be through the GSuite Business account ($8/m), and the associated Google Drive that it comes with. You can chose the encrypted option and all files would be encrypted on google drive.

Jstrawsine

PG First Class
PG Donor
Jan 8, 2019
Reactions
4 0 0
Thanks for the reply. I was watching a video briefly on encrypting the G drive. Again, is the G Drive supposed to be used for backups only or you can have a VM utilize the unlimited storage?

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Jan 17, 2018
Reactions
1,987 0 0
Thanks for the reply. I was watching a video briefly on encrypting the G drive. Again, is the G Drive supposed to be used for backups only or you can have a VM utilize the unlimited storage?
it's unlimited storage all around for whatever

Assists Greatly with Development Costs