Original poster
Local time
10:55 PM
Nov 9, 2018
Mount Type
Blitz Unencrypted
Server Type
Remote - VPS
I cannot access my server. I can remote reboot it only via "forced reset" at Netcup control panel.

It comes back up and I have a SHORT window of time when I can SSH in before it then becomes unresponsive as it loads the dockers. I suspect my Radarr is the resource hog that causes it to stop responding. I have waited hours to see if it revives but no.

Is there some way I can quickly STOP ALL the dockers from loading OR maybe just stop ONE (Radarr) docker to see if that is the issue?

Any ideas gratefully received! I don't want to do a full rebuild as I spent ages getting this how I wanted it.... and my backup is OLD....eeek!

Last edited:

Visorak

Local time
4:55 PM
Aug 10, 2019
You could try using portainer to stop the docker when the server loads up. Just have portainer open in webpage and stop radarr or all dockers when it refreshes.

You could also stop all dockers at once, when the server comes up using:
docker kill $(docker ps -q)

Or you could just stop radarr if that is the issue:
docker stop radarr

Last edited:
Reactions: Methanoid

Methanoid

Respected Member
Original poster
Local time
Nov 9, 2018
Looks like I needed to do

sudo docker restart=no <dockername> to stop it loading at start

Visorak

Local time
Aug 10, 2019
Well glad you got it sorted now. Did you run pgtrakt or something that made it go haywire?

Methanoid

Respected Member
Original poster
Local time
Nov 9, 2018
The PG9 update will prevent this future issues as everything is being streamlined.
I might be forced to try it as its looking like a rebuild is all I can do...

sudo docker update --restart=no radarr seems to stop starting radarr but I am getting traefik undeploying and pgclone also needs a redeploy.. and it crashes half way into these sometimes

Methanoid

Respected Member
Original poster
Local time
Nov 9, 2018
@Admin9705 I have had to stop all dockers to be able to do a backup so I can wipe and re-do... is there any way to backup settings like those for tdrive and service accounts?

vFlagR

Respected Member
Staff
Local time
Aug 27, 2018
Glasgow, Scotland
@Admin9705 I have had to stop all dockers to be able to do a backup so I can wipe and re-do... is there any way to backup settings like those for tdrive and service accounts?
No way to back up Tdrive settings just now. If you backup all your apps you can restore, reinstall PG, set up Clone settings, install your apps then restore your app backup.

(Maybe don't back up Radarr :p)

Reactions: Methanoid

DrgnFyre

Respected Member
Local time
Dec 25, 2018
Nebraska, US
I ran into the same behavior today - this was after I had just restarted my qBittorrent container to get it going on a couple of torrents (I force it to use a socks5 tunnel)
server acts like a black hole - can't ping it - cant connect to it with the vnc/window/shell Netcup CCP provides - it's available for a short window after a forced reset.
found the docker kill all command online ( docker kill $(docker ps -q) ) and was able to get the server in a responsive mode - turned on containers one by one to identify qBittorrent as the culprit.

So everything was going well - just went ahead and removed qb - reinstalled from pgblitz menu - as soon as it started actually downloading a torrent (used the 'checkmyip' magnet link my vpn/socks provider gives) it went into blackhole mode again.

I suspect Netcup is treating torrent traffic like a DDos attack maybe?

for now, i'm just using nzb only - just strange that this config has been working for me for months now and today things go haywire (didn't do any pgupdate - i did do some package updates earlier this week)

T-minator

Local time
11:55 PM
Mar 19, 2019
I also ran into similar behavior the last days. Something was freezing my server and the only way to keep it from doing so was killing the docker service in the first 2 minutes (sudo systemctl stop docker).

I assumed something with the installation was wrong, so I completely reinstalled PG, recovered the backup and it would crash again.
Reinstalled without the backup, and while manually setting all the variables, also crashed similarly.
Decided something was wrong with my installation, reinstalled Ubuntu (18.04.3 LTS), recovered backup, similar crash.

At this point I tried to think what possibly could have been wrong, and came up with a solution.
Just before I had the issues, I had updated the server (dist-upgrade) and the kernel had changed from 4.15.0-58 to 4.15.0-60.

Decided that as a simple fix, i could just install Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS and would have a working kernel again. So I installed 16, recovered my backup and everything is running again.

Hopefully this may help other users, I can not guarantee that the kernel update was the issue, but I can confirm that running my backup on Ubuntu 16 is working.

DrgnFyre

Respected Member
Local time
Dec 25, 2018
Nebraska, US
At this point I tried to think what possibly could have been wrong, and came up with a solution.
Just before I had the issues, I had updated the server (dist-upgrade) and the kernel had changed from 4.15.0-58 to 4.15.0-60.

Decided that as a simple fix, i could just install Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS and would have a working kernel again. So I installed 16, recovered my backup and everything is running again.
I think that is exactly what happened to me as well. I've gotten into the habit of doing a dist-upgrade monthly with other updates - I thought it was relatively safe as last time I looked it was part of the 'full install' command.

skymp

Local time
11:55 PM
Sep 8, 2018
Im having the same problem. Cant even get into SSH after a reboot. Only way to fix is nuke the whole server and start setting up again. Over and over...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.