Discussion - Hetzner + 4K? | PlexGuide.com

Discussion Hetzner + 4K?

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

nwalters810

Active
Original poster
Feb 7, 2019
Wondering if anybody else has issues with playback of 4k content using Hetzner? Movies load up and play just fine for a bit, and then eventually plex tells me that my connection is not good enough.

I’ve got the following setup (Hetzner dedicated):
i7 7700 3.6 GHz
64GB RAM

I’m streaming to my Roku TV with a 300Mbps downlink.

matt314159

Experienced+
Donor
Nov 29, 2018
Hey I'm on an Ex-42 hetzner in Finland as well and located in Iowa. Not sure where you are, but lots of people indicate hetzner has peering difficulties to the US. You can install speedtest from the community box in PlexGuide and get an idea of your actual download speed from your server to your endpoint. That might help a bit.

After about ten days of testing with my EX42 it seems like if the movie's bitrate is around 20mbps I can direct play it fine with no buffering. 25mbps and it usually plays fine, sometimes buffers. 30mbps and I will likely have buffering issues. This despite the fact that my speedtest says I'm getting 100mbps+

What I've done is separate out my 4K content into its own library in google drive, and I mount that library on my LOCAL plex server directly, and stream through that. Using that method to bypass Hetzner's link entirely, the content plays just fine--even big mean files like 80GB 4k Remuxes. I still watch my TV and 1080p libraries through Hetzner, though occasionally I need to transcode down to 20mbps to get a buffer-free experience.

Whether any of this will help you is hard to say. I don't know whether you have a local plex server, whether you use google drive with your Hetzner server, whether your Roku TV is capable of direct-playing the 4K content at any rate (if not, do NOT download the 4K versions, the HDR > SDR transcoding really washes out the colors--much worse than had you just downloaded the 1080p version).

Those are my thoughts as a newbie just getting into the dedicated server game. I've been running plex for several years on a 76TB drive pool hosted locally, but my 300/10 plan from my ISP was rough on my remote users - I had to limit streams to 2mbps 720p so this is a big upgrade for them and for the 34 euro a month I'm still quite happy with the experience overall even if I have to work around some rough edges like bad peering.

You can also look through some posts around here about using Cloudflare for its caching/CDN in addition to plain DNS, which some say helps improve the routes and throughput. Let me know if you have any questions you think I can answer. Just keep in mind I'm only like two weeks into using PlexGuide myself, if that.

Reactions: 1 user

nwalters810

Active
Original poster
Feb 7, 2019
Hey I'm on an Ex-42 hetzner in Finland as well and located in Iowa. Not sure where you are, but lots of people indicate hetzner has peering difficulties to the US. You can install speedtest from the community box in PlexGuide and get an idea of your actual download speed from your server to your endpoint. That might help a bit.

After about ten days of testing with my EX42 it seems like if the movie's bitrate is around 20mbps I can direct play it fine with no buffering. 25mbps and it usually plays fine, sometimes buffers. 30mbps and I will likely have buffering issues. This despite the fact that my speedtest says I'm getting 100mbps+

What I've done is separate out my 4K content into its own library in google drive, and I mount that library on my LOCAL plex server directly, and stream through that. Using that method to bypass Hetzner's link entirely, the content plays just fine--even big mean files like 80GB 4k Remuxes. I still watch my TV and 1080p libraries through Hetzner, though occasionally I need to transcode down to 20mbps to get a buffer-free experience.

Whether any of this will help you is hard to say. I don't know whether you have a local plex server, whether you use google drive with your Hetzner server, whether your Roku TV is capable of direct-playing the 4K content at any rate (if not, do NOT download the 4K versions, the HDR > SDR transcoding really washes out the colors--much worse than had you just downloaded the 1080p version).

Those are my thoughts as a newbie just getting into the dedicated server game. I've been running plex for several years on a 76TB drive pool hosted locally, but my 300/10 plan from my ISP was rough on my remote users - I had to limit streams to 2mbps 720p so this is a big upgrade for them and for the 34 euro a month I'm still quite happy with the experience overall even if I have to work around some rough edges like bad peering.

You can also look through some posts around here about using Cloudflare for its caching/CDN in addition to plain DNS, which some say helps improve the routes and throughput. Let me know if you have any questions you think I can answer. Just keep in mind I'm only like two weeks into using PlexGuide myself, if that.
Hmm...mounting my 4k content locally is a great idea! How did you go about doing that? Do you essentially have two servers on your Plex account and switch to your local server whenever doing 4k playback? And where do you download your 4k content at? Is that done on your Hentzner as well?

timekills

VIP
Staff
Donor
Sep 12, 2018
I have two Hetzners, a Google VPS and a local.
CSN through Cloudlfare helps, but the GCE and local are the best ways to play high bitrate videos.
Ensure you have Direct Play checked. Some people recommend NOT using Direct Stream.

Another gotcha many people don't realize is if the player you're using can't natively play the subtitles that are embedded in the video, it forces Plex to transcode the video - just for the subtitles. Depending on your server capability, that can be the cause of the buffering instead of bandwidth.

Reactions: 1 user

nwalters810

Active
Original poster
Feb 7, 2019
S

subse7en

Hmm...mounting my 4k content locally is a great idea! How did you go about doing that? Do you essentially have two servers on your Plex account and switch to your local server whenever doing 4k playback? And where do you download your 4k content at? Is that done on your Hentzner as well?
You would just use your local, no point of switching for you at least. If your upload speed is at least 100mbps, then consider just hosting plex yourself.

You may be able to use Google filestream on windows and do a windows Plex server, but the initial scan will be problematic as you'll hit API errors. You can do a local VM of plexguide.

dataoverflow

Experienced
Mar 19, 2018
I use cloudflare CDN with Hetzner and can playback 90 mbps 4k movies fine.

Before I got CDN setup it was hopeless with rates at max 60mpbs,.

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
I’m streaming to my Roku TV with a 300Mbps downlink.
Roku, 4K and 300Mbit WAN connection skips the important bit - how is your Roku connected to the network? If it's not wired, i'd start with that before going any further.

nwalters810

Active
Original poster
Feb 7, 2019
Roku, 4K and 300Mbit WAN connection skips the important bit - how is your Roku connected to the network? If it's not wired, i'd start with that before going any further.
The Roku connection is not wired, but it's fast enough. It worked fine when hosted my 4K content locally, so the Roku connection wouldnt be a bottleneck.

nwalters810

Active
Original poster
Feb 7, 2019
I use cloudflare CDN with Hetzner and can playback 90 mbps 4k movies fine.

Before I got CDN setup it was hopeless with rates at max 60mpbs,.
Is there anything special you did with the CDN setup? I just added cloudflare to my setup and it is still stopping playback unexpectedly.

nwalters810

Active
Original poster
Feb 7, 2019
So far $0 as I'm using my $300 credit. But that will probably only last me about ~6 months. Maybe more - depends on its use.
Do you have any idea what the cost will be after that credit? Don’t want to jump in and find out it’s hundreds a month or something

matt314159

Experienced+
Donor
Nov 29, 2018
I've had a local Windows 10 Plex server for several years. I just installed Google Drive File Stream and pointed my home plex server to the 4k library in that. And yeah I have two plex servers on my account.

Others indicate the GDFS mount for my 4K collection might end up biting me, but I don't see that collection getting above like 500 titles so I am going to cautiously proceed.

dataoverflow

Experienced
Mar 19, 2018
Is there anything special you did with the CDN setup? I just added cloudflare to my setup and it is still stopping playback unexpectedly.
You need to add an A record for plex and activate CDN. (It activates by default iirc.) There will be an orange cloud next to the A record saying 'CDN & HTTP proxy'

Then you need to disable page caching under 'Page Rules'

add plex.yourdomain.com & set cache level to bypass.

That's all I needed to do and I get over 500mbps bandwidth from my Hetzner server.

nwalters810

Active
Original poster
Feb 7, 2019
You need to add an A record for plex and activate CDN. (It activates by default iirc.) There will be an orange cloud next to the A record saying 'CDN & HTTP proxy'

Then you need to disable page caching under 'Page Rules'

add plex.yourdomain.com & set cache level to bypass.

That's all I needed to do and I get over 500mbps bandwidth from my Hetzner server.
Okay so I set all that up, but for some reason when I enable manual port (32400) in plex it shows that it is not connected to internet. When I attempt to access via plex.domain.com I get the 404 page not found error. Thoughts?

timekills

VIP
Staff
Donor
Sep 12, 2018
Okay so I set all that up, but for some reason when I enable manual port (32400) in plex it shows that it is not connected to internet. When I attempt to access via plex.domain.com I get the 404 page not found error. Thoughts?
From my link above:
"Now go back and retry in Plex/Remote access to enable remote access. BE PATIENT.
It can take a while - 30 minutes sometimes initially - for your Plex server to restart and populate through Traefik and then Cloudlfare, and sometimes even longer for Cloudflare to push the DNS settings through the global Internet, especially if new.

You'll also occasionally see the dreaded red ! by remote access when you go to settings in the future for a moment or two. That's normal. However, unlike the CDN settings, it *will* go back to the green check mark. If it ever doesn't after a few moments (it depends on how quickly Plex.tv is able to hit Cloudflare and then Cloudflare to reach your server...could be ms or could be a couple seconds) go and re-enable Remote Access. "

nwalters810

Active
Original poster
Feb 7, 2019
From my link above:
"Now go back and retry in Plex/Remote access to enable remote access. BE PATIENT.
It can take a while - 30 minutes sometimes initially - for your Plex server to restart and populate through Traefik and then Cloudlfare, and sometimes even longer for Cloudflare to push the DNS settings through the global Internet, especially if new.

You'll also occasionally see the dreaded red ! by remote access when you go to settings in the future for a moment or two. That's normal. However, unlike the CDN settings, it *will* go back to the green check mark. If it ever doesn't after a few moments (it depends on how quickly Plex.tv is able to hit Cloudflare and then Cloudflare to reach your server...could be ms or could be a couple seconds) go and re-enable Remote Access. "
Okay, all looks good! The server is in fact accessible outside LAN now. Is there a way to tell if the playback traffic is actually going via CF? I attempted playback of a 4k movie, and it decided to stop again about 5 minutes in. CF website only shows 1.5MB of bandwidth used.

timekills

VIP
Staff
Donor
Sep 12, 2018
You won't use CF bandwidth per se, unless it's caching. Which it won't cache video for the free service, and if you try they might ban you.
It is just using the Cloudflare IP routing/peering.

If it is stopping, there's a different issue.

nwalters810

Active
Original poster
Feb 7, 2019
You won't use CF bandwidth per se, unless it's caching. Which it won't cache video for the free service, and if you try they might ban you.
It is just using the Cloudflare IP routing/peering.

If it is stopping, there's a different issue.
Gotcha! Thanks!

So I've had everything configured for about 4 hours now, and when I go to plex.mydomain.com it's showing me a 404 page error. Is that expected still? Can it take longer than that? Thanks!

cloudflaredns.pngplex2.pngplexsetting1.pngpagerules.png

timekills

VIP
Staff
Donor
Sep 12, 2018
I'm a little confused; the attachment says you've disabled remote access but the inline screenshot shows it enabled.
at first glance the other settings look correct.
Can you hit your server from plex.tv?

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending