Discussion Hetzner Dedicated too hard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grawl

PG First Class
Jan 1, 2019
Reactions
0 0 0
I've bought a dedicated server from the auction site (i7, 16GB RAM, 2x 2TB), but I'm having a hard time getting it to work. I can login using SSH just fine after setting up Ubuntu 16.04 minimal, but after that I'm stuck. For the live of me I can't even manage to add a new user. Out of sheer curiosity I set up QuickBox and that works fine, but I'm afraid I'll just have an unprotected and vulnerable server. I've searched high and low and can't find a good guide to help me through it. Is it always this hard with a dedicated server (read: should I just stick with VPS)?

bubbadk

PG Captain
Tech Lead
Mar 18, 2018
Denmark
Reactions
93 0 0
If you haven't got the basic knowledge of linux, then yes. I would suggest you to learn basic linux. But if it has something to do with plexguide, then we are here :)

WildWayz

PG 2nd Lieutenant
Tech Lead
PG Donor
Mar 13, 2018
United Kingdom
Reactions
61 0 0
Unfortunately, jumping into a dedicated server is like learning brain surgery. So much to learn. I'd honestly get a vps or a managed server. Basic Linux knowledge is a must. The off the shelf apps like Plex Guide, Cloud and QuickBox do quite a good job at securing the server.

dinklegeta

PG Sergeant
Aug 9, 2018
Reactions
16 0 0
I've bought a dedicated server from the auction site (i7, 16GB RAM, 2x 2TB), but I'm having a hard time getting it to work. I can login using SSH just fine after setting up Ubuntu 16.04 minimal, but after that I'm stuck. For the live of me I can't even manage to add a new user. Out of sheer curiosity I set up QuickBox and that works fine, but I'm afraid I'll just have an unprotected and vulnerable server. I've searched high and low and can't find a good guide to help me through it. Is it always this hard with a dedicated server (read: should I just stick with VPS)?
What are you struggling with specifically? Adding a new user is pretty easy when you are logged in with the root user.

SirTranceALoT

PG 2nd Lieutenant
Tech Lead
Jun 14, 2018
Reactions
93 0 0
You say you installed quickbox right? I have that running too on one of my servers. It does change a couple of things.

As for adding users, quickbox has it's built in system. You can find a list of commands in your quickbox dashboard.

Quickbox closes a great number of ports too and even changes the SSH port. You run quite a safe server and hetzner has their own anti-ddos protection systems in place. You're prety fine.

And true, diving into linux is like learning to ride a bike. I must see, you managed to install quickbox on it and that is already a +1. Feel free to ask specific things. We could help you out in a more targeted area.

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

SirTranceALoT

PG 2nd Lieutenant
Tech Lead
Jun 14, 2018
Reactions
93 0 0
To be honest, I prefer torrenting. A couple of good private sites is all you need to get everything you want, without having to pay for a usenet service and dealing with missing parts and so on. I tried it for a while and it simply couldn't keep me interested.

MrDoob

PG Captain
Mod | Tech Lead
Mega Sponsor
PG Donor
Aug 4, 2018
GERMANY
Reactions
108 0 0
Back to topic.

so explain yourself exactly where the problem lies!

what did you want to do?
how did you go about it?

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Jan 17, 2018
Reactions
1,989 0 0
To be honest, I prefer torrenting. A couple of good private sites is all you need to get everything you want, without having to pay for a usenet service and dealing with missing parts and so on. I tried it for a while and it simply couldn't keep me interested.
depends on what servers and indexers you have. torrenting just says target me and private is misleading. anyone can join and tag your ip.

Assists Greatly with Development Costs

SirTranceALoT

PG 2nd Lieutenant
Tech Lead
Jun 14, 2018
Reactions
93 0 0
depends on what servers and indexers you have. torrenting just says target me and private is misleading. anyone can join and tag your ip.
Yeah true that, then again, that's where a VPN comes in pretty handy. And the really good private trackers are invite based. None of the ones I use have open sign-ups so very hard to get in.

MrDoob

PG Captain
Mod | Tech Lead
Mega Sponsor
PG Donor
Aug 4, 2018
GERMANY
Reactions
108 0 0
I load from Open/ closed / Hacked
Why not , but the Server is not in my Name.
My provider is really good.,
It does not interest that much as long as there are no animal / child / rape or hate preaching on the server.

Rest is so buzzing

SirTranceALoT

PG 2nd Lieutenant
Tech Lead
Jun 14, 2018
Reactions
93 0 0
And it's EU. They are less strict here. In all the time I've been using torrenting on dedicated servers, and that's about 12 years, I never had issues with the law or any other organizations. Heck, I even started a now popular tracker about 10 years ago and ran an encoding group on one of OVH's boxes.

Grawl

PG First Class
Jan 1, 2019
Reactions
0 0 0
Thanks for the replies. I have some knowledge of Linux, but when I booted into a fresh install (Ubuntu 16.04 minimal) the command adduser didn't exist. Even with locate it just wasn't there. I'm assuming it should always exist.

SirTranceALoT

PG 2nd Lieutenant
Tech Lead
Jun 14, 2018
Reactions
93 0 0
did useradd work?

thepj

PG Master Sergeant
Tech Lead
Nov 13, 2018
Arizona, USA
Reactions
57 0 0
Thanks for the replies. I have some knowledge of Linux, but when I booted into a fresh install (Ubuntu 16.04 minimal) the command adduser didn't exist. Even with locate it just wasn't there. I'm assuming it should always exist.
That is impossible, that command doens't have an option to NOT exist, you must likely didn't type "sudo" in front of it. Sudo always a non-root account to run elevated requests.

First result in Google when you type in "how to add user in ubuntu" will walk you through how to do this with a screenshot:

1547052009656.png

thepj

PG Master Sergeant
Tech Lead
Nov 13, 2018
Arizona, USA
Reactions
57 0 0
Additionally, locate won't find commands, only files/directories. However files places in teh correct place can become commands as well...

SirTranceALoT

PG 2nd Lieutenant
Tech Lead
Jun 14, 2018
Reactions
93 0 0
sudo has nothing to do with it. After a fresh ubuntu install, you need to login as root so adduser should work fine.

bodgeup

PG Master Sergeant
PG Donor
Freelance Sponsor
Aug 12, 2018
Reactions
21 0 0
You may have an easier time using VMware Vsphere ESXI 6.7 on it as it has a webui and allows you to setup at least a decent base for you to deploy multiple Guest OS Virtual machines on top including Windows Server and Windows clients. With Windows 10 enterprise and Windows Server 2019 aswell as quickly deploy Linux Vms, of which you can even download ready made OVF appliances from Bitnami for one which ive used myself as a base for Plexguide (just dont forget to change it to the Universe repository. https://fabianlee.org/2016/09/18/ubuntu-enabling-the-ubuntu-universe-repository/)

I know it probably wont help your immediate issue with a lack of Linux knowledge but at least you can build a secure Hypervisor environment on your server which you can build vms ontop of quickly and easily (snapshotting vms is a very good way to experiment on vms if your learning, it will allow you to take a snapshot of a point in time and be able to quickly revert to whichever snapshot you choose to instantly go back to that point in time)

Ill post the url for the Ubuntu Server 16 binami ovf i used ill update my post incase inone wants to try it, its what i used to get my Plexguide VMs off the ground with.

But using ready made Ubuntu OVA vmware appliances you can quickly upload and deploy an ubuntu VM which all you need to do is follow the Plexguide Wiki to install plexguide.

What most new users of Dedicated servers fail to take into consideration when just getting to grips with there new box is that there server will initially be wide open to the web (unless you purchased a service from your Hoster for a firewall) so for me using VMWare in my day to day work it was my first though but not only that its easy to get to grips to with quickly if your coming from a windows environment, plus i was able to deploy a Sophos XG home edition firewall VM from the free iso you can get from sophos (providing you wont use it for commercial use its free) or if you prefer open source you could use PFSense but XG is by my view far supperior seeing as its given away free.

Last edited:

SirTranceALoT

PG 2nd Lieutenant
Tech Lead
Jun 14, 2018
Reactions
93 0 0
No need for vsphere. He can just install webmin. Vsphere is a virtualization enviroment. He doesn't need the extra bloat of software that brings with it. Webmin is a simple webui to manage your server.

MrDoob

PG Captain
Mod | Tech Lead
Mega Sponsor
PG Donor
Aug 4, 2018
GERMANY
Reactions
108 0 0
Pfsense and Sophos .. the best Option (y)(y)

bodgeup

PG Master Sergeant
PG Donor
Freelance Sponsor
Aug 12, 2018
Reactions
21 0 0
well if you not used to linux then ESXI my be easiest way to secure a Hosted server and secure it while experimenting with guest VMs.

Webmin ive found to be combersome, if you can afford the extra expense Cpanel or Plesk i prefer but in my oppinion your wasting the potential of a Dedicated server if your not using a Hypervisor and just doing a bare metal Linux install, but depends on your server i suppose. But most servers you should see at least 8gb ram which ESXI will run on happily and allow you to create multiple VM's including an ent grade FW appliance such as Sopho XG and be able to utilise the snapshotting feature of a hypervisor which is great when doing upgrades or learning / experimenting. But Vmware isnt the only Hypervisor options FYI. Just what i personally prefer to use.

But each to there own.

Anyone wanting a decent Ent grade & free firewall for there dedicated servers def take a look at Sophos XG: -
https://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-xg-firewall-home-edition.aspx

You can through 4 CPU cores at it and 6gb ram which can handle the throughputs of even the fastest of Server net links.

Grawl

PG First Class
Jan 1, 2019
Reactions
0 0 0
I managed to make a new user. For some reason the first one doesn't work, but the second command does.

useradd -m -d /home/grawl
useradd -m grawl (which created /home/grawl anyway)

fr0sty

PG Sergeant
PG Donor
Jul 8, 2018
Australia
Reactions
14 0 0
I would use 18.04, I think its the new standard. The command "adduser" is wrong It's "useradd"

https://github.com/Admin9705/PlexGuide.com-The-Awesome-Plex-Server/wiki/Data:-Create-a-SUDO-User

su root
useradd -m -d /home/YOUR-USERNAME YOUR-USERNAME
usermod -aG sudo YOUR-USERNAME
passwd YOUR-USERNAME
sudo usermod -s /bin/bash YOUR-USERNAME
su YOUR-USERNAME

You can copy the commands above and paste them into putty with a right click (edit the YOUR-USERNAME bit)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

PG Developer Donations

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apbesieged