Hetzner EX Series | PlexGuide.com

Hetzner EX Series

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

TheNumbLock

Citizen
Original poster
Donor
Jan 30, 2020
I’m trying to figure out a few things and determine what route I want to take for what my game plan is. Currently I have an EX-52 NVME server fully setup and automated. I have a couple of issues to figure out with it. But overall, my initial steps are done.

I do have a few Questions (or at least looking for info/advice). I have found some useful information from a different thread that peaked my curiosity.

- What is the max capacity steams do you think it can handle? I enabled iGPU on it. My goal is to start a streaming service for family and friends (but may expand the scope if it is successful). I may just need to stress test once my library has a good starting amount of items. Currently I am seeing if any friends or family want to be added to it. I am building my library slowly from scratch. So it currently has Ombi (may switch to something else since it isn’t working), plex, sabnzbd (may switch over to hydra for performance), sonarr and radarr.

- Should I invest into two boxes? One strictly for downloading (like a seed box) and moving media to my encrypted T Drive, and the other reads the T Drive with plex on it? I am thinking of wanting to share with 25+ people on it with maybe 2 streams each. I may stick with 1080P content and throw in some 4K stuff for newer movies/shows. Again, I did enable iGPU, so it can handle transcoding.

I am open to any opinions or thoughts on this. Even curious about others experiences from you guys.

mde81

Citizen
Jan 7, 2020
I have the slightly less powerful EX42 and run plex with about 50 users (friends and family) . Most concurrent streams I’ve ever had is 13 1080p direct streams with Using less than 20% cpu . It can handle about 4-5 transcodes standard but with iGPU HW could handle 20+ transcodes I recon . Yours will be even better than that as it’s the newer EX52.

sorry to add I use this connected to tdrive and it’s perfect very quick load times and I also have a largish 4k movie section (500 movies) and it plays fine. I have invested in a cheaper Netcup VPS for downloading with sonarr and radarr so the EX42 only runs plex

Reactions: 1 user

28061b

Citizen
Donor
Dec 19, 2019
I also use the EX42-NVME.
I also agree with @mde81 - I'm having the same experience and am very happy. Can't see a reason to have seperate boxes.

pianomanx

Citizen+
Sep 21, 2018
This is good info from all of you, specifically since I was on the fence on exact models without buying and trying first.

@mde81 - may I ask what you use for Netcup? So many options. Lol. Assuming you're pleased with yours, I take it?

mde81

Citizen
Jan 7, 2020
sorry for the delay. I use Netcup just as a tv show downloader using Sonarr. However ill be also installing plex on it to test its streaming performance v hetzner.

Reactions: 1 user

spaceman07

Citizen+
Nov 25, 2019
hello.. did you get a chance to compare the streaming performance in comparison to the hetzner? as I currently have a netcup and looking to move the plex server over to the hetzner dedicated server?

any help to advice will be appreciated.. thanks.

mde81

Citizen
Jan 7, 2020
The Hetzner performs better for Plex due to HW iGPU transcode performance. But i have one of the new Netcup EPYC VPS as a feeder box and its rapid. On a 2.5Gbs line i regularly hit 250+MB/s on downloads via usenet.

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending