Hetzner Plex-Emby info | PlexGuide.com

Hetzner Plex-Emby info

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

ferithon

Citizen+
Original poster
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Hi at all....i'm not expert, it's my first time with "dedicated unmanaged server". I buyed at Hetzner a server with this configuration:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1650V2
Network Controller: 1GB Intel I350
HDD: 15 x HDD SATA 6,0 TB Enterprise
RAID Controller: 4-Port SATA PCI-E - Adaptec 8405 SGL (2277600-R)
RAM: 8 x 16384 MB DDR3 ECC reg.
RAID Controller: RAID controller accessories - Adaptec AEC-82885T Expander Card

I will store media "locally" (i will use GD only for backup them) and i will use plex (or emby but i think plex) with plexpass.

My question are:
1) with this server how many "live" transcoding i can do?
2) with direct-play (without transcoding) how many streaming can i do (at same time)? I wanna share my server with my family (6 people or max 10).

Tnx a lot for help

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
Seems like a waste each month for the stated usage case, an NVMe SSD + GSuite would likely give a similar if not better result, but at a lower price. Anyway... CPU Mark of 12,749 is roughly 6 1080 H264 transcodes depending on bit-rate. Direct stream plays will depend on your IO load, uplink and file size, you’ll not for example be able to do as many 4K REMUX direct plays as you would for example a 1080 Webrip’s.

Reactions: 1 user

ferithon

Citizen+
Original poster
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Seems like a waste each month for the stated usage case, an NVMe SSD + GSuite would likely give a similar if not better result, but at a lower price. Anyway... CPU Mark of 12,749 is roughly 6 1080 H264 transcodes depending on bit-rate. Direct stream plays will depend on your IO load, uplink and file size, you’ll not for example be able to do as many 4K REMUX direct plays as you would for example a 1080 Webrip’s.

tnx a lot for help....i always "manually transcode" files to use them with "direct play". I have a 1gb/s upload speed (i test it with speedtest: 950mb/s). My video are about 1,5 gb dimension.

How many video can i stream with direct play you think?

Tnx

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
Due to the way clients capabilities and remote connections work, it’s not a question that can be easily answered, or at least not accurately.

You control one variable out of many, so for example I don’t know if you’re grinding your box’s mechanical array into the ground running RAR/PAR repairs 4 deep while still downloading and have a large queue backed up and are saturating the uplink as you’re ‘backup’ to GSuite and that mechanical array is being thrashed accordingly. I also have a horrible feeling you’ll run as R5 or R0 rather than use a scratch disk and keep the array IO load low. Your server has 1Gbit, but from the point it exits Hetzner’s network, it’s down to the Rerouting/peering Hetzner has with the multiple other networks it will hop to get to the end user’s ISP, you then have the end users line speed to consider, followed by if they use Wi-fi for example vs wired and finally the type of client they have and if it will support direct play (users do silly things like have crappy clients hidden behind big RF shielded objects next to walls connected by Wi-Fi and don’t alter default profiles, fire sticks at 2mbit for example.

The best answer I can give is I wouldn’t expect you to have any problems with the user count you suggest, I can run more clients with way less, but you will always have someone with a crappy connection/client/Wi-fi who has issues.

Reactions: 1 user

ferithon

Citizen+
Original poster
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Tnx to much....just a question: "" I also have a horrible feeling you’ll run as R5 or R0 rather than use a scratch disk and keep the array IO load low...""

If i remember i have set RAID 6...i know that IO is not max speed but i don't wanna to loose data if a HDD broken....

i Fault with this consideration???

Tnx a lot and sorrybut i noob at this moment...before i have only one big seedbox...it's my first time with Dedicated Unmanaged Server ;-)

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
Tnx to much....just a question: "" I also have a horrible feeling you’ll run as R5 or R0 rather than use a scratch disk and keep the array IO load low...""

If i remember i have set RAID 6...i know that IO is not max speed but i don't wanna to loose data if a HDD broken....

i Fault with this consideration???

Tnx a lot and sorrybut i noob at this moment...before i have only one big seedbox...it's my first time with Dedicated Unmanaged Server ;-)
your fine. it's a fun experience because it forces you outside of your comfort zone. the good thing is you can always cancel with hetzner within 14 days, so you'll have a chance to try out a few different servers. dont' cancel too many to fast though.

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending