Noob
Original poster
Donor
Donor
Local time
2:50 PM
Jan 12, 2020
Hey everyone, I just discovered this community

I've been using Plex & Torrents for years now but I just recently set up Sonarr, Radarr, Usenet, etc.. and THEN I discover this site!

Well I'm very new to Usenet and I'm not sure where to start, so far I've got NZBGeek indexer and thundernews service, any suggestions on how to get started with private indexers would be appreciated

Edrock200

Local time
5:50 PM
Nov 17, 2019
I would start by installing nzbhydra and sabnzbd off the PG core apps. It gets configured similar to jackett if you used that with torrents. You will also need a Usenet provider. I use frugalnews (no affiliation.)

Basically for nzbgeek and other nzb indexers, somewhere in your profile should be an API key, possibly an API url too but most major indexers have preconfigured settings in Hydra.

Go into Hydra config and setup your indexers. Hydra itself has its own API key. Grab that.

Install sabnzbd if you haven't already, and in your config setup your Usenet providers and grab sabz's API key as well. Setup your categories too(categories are like torrent labels, you don't need to set separate folders for each category.) can ignore the post processing stuff in sabz, sonarr/radarr/lidarr does all that for you.

Go to sonarr/radarr/lidarr and configure your newznab indexer by pointing to nzbhydra and the Hydra API key from earlier. Then go to downloaders tab and configure sabz with it connection info and API key, and you will need to set a unique category for each app from the ones you setup earlier in sabz.

Bonus: If you download things outside of sonarr/radarr/lidarr you can configure sabz as a downloader in Hydra and send manual search results from Hydra directly to sabz. You can also configure a torznab indexer in Hydra and point it to jackett or direct to your torrent site feeds/API links, which will make Hydra a one stop universal search across all Usenet indexers and torrent sites.
Post automatically merged:

I should have noted, Usenet takes down a lot of content due to dmca notices. So if you notice a lot of your backfill (older) content is failing, this is normal. Generally speaking posts that are one or two days old work fine. The older stuff is hit or miss. To help minimize this you can add the preferred tags "obfuscated" and "scrambled" to radarr/sonarr/lidarr. These posts have the file names as a series of random letters and numbers making them harder to identify for dmca removals.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Introductions 0
R Introductions 2
A Introductions 4
J Introductions 1
M Introductions 1