Intro - Hi I'm a 74 year old noob looking for help and tips. | PlexGuide.com

Intro Hi I'm a 74 year old noob looking for help and tips.

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

Bob Shotter

Noobz
Original poster
Oct 23, 2020
74 year old noob
Hi I'm still trying to understand all the workings of running a small server and in particular when trying to add a movie via Radar.
For example when a movie is blacklisted is that because the files are faulty or some other reason and more importantly can I still get a movie that is blacklisted?

Reactions: 1 user
Mar 27, 2020
74 year old noob
Hi I'm still trying to understand all the workings of running a small server and in particular when trying to add a movie via Radar.
For example when a movie is blacklisted is that because the files are faulty or some other reason and more importantly can I still get a movie that is blacklisted?
Yes if a movie shows as blacklisted then chances are radarr already tried to download it but couldn't

Bob Shotter

Noobz
Original poster
Oct 23, 2020
Many thanks
As I thought, so is there any other way I might find the original 'The Italian Job' movie.

Mar 27, 2020
Many thanks
As I thought, so is there any other way I might find the original 'The Italian Job' movie.
If you are using Usenet, then another server or more indexers might work.

If you're using torrents then you need more trackers.

The general concensus is to have one unlimited usenet server like Newshosting, and a block account somewhere else. Then 2 or 3 indexers. My personal opinion would be to get NZBGeek, DrunkenSlug and NZB.su as indexers.

You might also get more help on r/usenet, r/usenetinvites, r/radarr, r/sonarr, and r/sabnzbd on Reddit.com

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
Yes if a movie shows as blacklisted then chances are radarr already tried to download it but couldn't
Generally speaking, if radarr/sonarr blacklist a movie automatically or you do so manually, it will search again if it's a recently released item or if you tick the box that says search again when you delete the offending download.

If it's an older item, it will grab another release when it comes across the rss feeds from your providers. You can manually trigger a search with the auto or manual search options on the movie.

Bob Shotter

Noobz
Original poster
Oct 23, 2020
Thankyou guys for your help, it seems then that I'll have to wait for a non blacklisted version of this film to become available.
I'm a bit of a novice (74 years old lol) and the guy who has been helping me has sadly passed away.
He set me up with Radar to grab movies, Sonarr for TV shows and SABnzb to monitor what's downloading. I also have Tatulli to monitor traffic and create newsletters each week etc. and I run the whole set up via a web page. That then is the extent of my knowledge.

Xployt

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Sep 26, 2018
@Bob Shotter my condolences.

It's great to see you are still striving to continue with computing. Need a hand feel free to personally message me or tag me in here. We're a great community and everyone is willing to help.

tag @Cyber Sh4d0w too, as he is Support.

Just press the "@" and then type someone's username. Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, just wanted to make sure.

Xployt

Cyber Sh4d0w

Administrator
Project Manager
Staff
FreeLancer
Jan 12, 2019
@Bob Shotter you have my condolences also.

I will be happy to help you where I can!

Drop me a tag and I will respond to you ASAP

Cyber Sh4d0w

Bob Shotter

Noobz
Original poster
Oct 23, 2020
Hi Cyber Shadow Thanks for the offer and yeah any help would be apricated.
Are you familiar with a server set up 'Linux' that is run via a url on a windows os pc?
Post automatically merged:

@Bob Shotter my condolences.

It's great to see you are still striving to continue with computing. Need a hand feel free to personally message me or tag me in here. We're a great community and everyone is willing to help.

tag @Cyber Sh4d0w too, as he is Support.

Just press the "@" and then type someone's username. Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, just wanted to make sure.

Xployt
Hi Xployt Thanks for the kind words and yes any offer to help would be apricated.
Are you familiar with a server set up 'Linux' that is run via a url on a windows os pc?

Cyber Sh4d0w

Administrator
Project Manager
Staff
FreeLancer
Jan 12, 2019
Hello Again @Bob Shotter ,

Yes I am I run a server myself on Linux.

Fire as Meany questions you have to me and I will answer all of them the best I can. I'm not sure if you are familiar with discord. I would be happy to use that so then , we could instantly message and provide screenshot etc of my setup so you get abit more of a understanding :)

Thanks

Cyber Sh4d0w

Last edited:

Bob Shotter

Noobz
Original poster
Oct 23, 2020
That is great news Thank you so much. What I need to know is how to do updates on the apps and I would also like to know what happens to films that I've downloaded that then dont show on my set up.
I'm guessing it's something to do with a incorrect path?

Cyber Sh4d0w

Administrator
Project Manager
Staff
FreeLancer
Jan 12, 2019
No problem @Bob Shotter if you selected to use watchtower to update your applications then it will automatically update either all of your containers once there is a stable docker release available including plex or all apps exempt plex. If you don't want to wait you can always go into portioner and click on the container of your choice that you want to update and find out what the lastest version is for that app, for example portainer and click "Duplicate/Edit" paste the name of the latest on the "docker.io" box so for this one it would be "portainer/portainer-ce:alpine" and then click deploy. I know it sounds complicated but after you do it a few times youll get used to it! :)

When you say your setup doesnt show all of the movies that you have downloaded to you mean in the plex application? Also what methord are you using to store your files are you using gsuite? :)

Thanks

Cyber Shadow

Bob Shotter

Noobz
Original poster
Oct 23, 2020
I've been dreading this but your right once I've done it I should be ok, it's doing it the first couple of times LOL
Right you lost me at 'watchtower' ;) and while I've heard the words docker and container I'am a little unsure what they actually are.
I use Tower/Docker to open the apps:' These include 'Tautlli' to monitor everything and send out weekly news emails, 'Sonarr' to grab TV shows, 'Radarr' for Movies and 'SABnzb' to follow downloads and PLEX of course.
Both SABnzb and Plex have updates pending.

As for " If you don't want to wait you can always go into portioner and click on the container of your choice that you want to update and find out what the lastest version is for that app, for example portainer and click "Duplicate/Edit" paste the name of the latest on the "docker.io" box so for this one it would be "portainer/portainer-ce:alpine" and then click deploy."
Apart from the fact my old friend always told me to wait so he could check the stability of an up date I think that might be the better option, that and the fact that I have no idea what 'potainer is or "docker.io" I did click on the link but that just takes you to a sing in page.
And this was not much help either.............. https://www.docker.com/resources/what-container Like I said I'am a noob.

Last edited:

Cyber Sh4d0w

Administrator
Project Manager
Staff
FreeLancer
Jan 12, 2019
Haha its okay don't worry LOL :p

Containers

So just for your understanding a container is effectively a app running on its own virtual machine within your Linux server, these containers run and managed by a application called docker.

Watchtower
Is a container that basically checks for stable updates for all of your containers and u[dates/restarts them automatically. However if your friend selected the option that says update all containers apart from "Plex" this will need to be done manually.

Portainer
Is a container where you can manage and deploy new containers using a simple user interface rather than using docker commands. :)

So first things first do you save your movies and tv online or do you save them locally to your server?

I really think i could provide you better support if you downloaded a program called discord onto your PC or phone and create a account. That way you can send me photos or screen shots of how you all setup and then i can talk you through everything on the IM on there. :)

Cyber Sh4d0w

Bob Shotter

Noobz
Original poster
Oct 23, 2020
I have discord :)
My ID = CrazeyGranpa47#7467

Might be an idea to book a time window as I'm in the UK

Cyber Sh4d0w

Administrator
Project Manager
Staff
FreeLancer
Jan 12, 2019
Just sent you a friend request mate and i will try and be as responsive as i can with your questions and try and figure out what sort of setup you have :)

Bob Shotter

Noobz
Original poster
Oct 23, 2020
OK I'll give it a go though I'll warn you the other half is watching a movie so sorry about background noise in advance.

The morning after and WOW

I owe so many thanks to 'Cyber Sh4dow' for his help and hard work yesterday evening. Not only did he resolve what was a simple problem but found other problems in my set up that required time and patients to fix.
I'm so glad to have found this community and to find guys ready to help others for nothing more than a thankyou. You guys are simply the best Thank you so much.

Last edited:

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending