Intro - Hi. Just ordered components for local server. is plexguide really for me? | PlexGuide.com

Intro Hi. Just ordered components for local server. is plexguide really for me?

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

breakwin

Noobz
Original poster
Jun 5, 2020
Hi. I have been looking to setup a movie/tv-show server for my parents through Plex for quite some time. I was first looking to run everything (Radarr, Sonarr, Jackett, qbittorrent, Ombi and Plex etc) in windows. I then moved to looking into freenas and was convinced by its features. However, now I have found plexguide and have binged through all the YouTube videos and some of the wiki, I am quite amazed by the automation the admins have managed to create.

I have bought the following: i3-8100, 16gb ram, 4 x 2TB HDD for storage and a 256GB ssd to run ubuntu and store Plex-metadata

However, I am a bit confused whether plexguide is really the best use case for me? I see that a lot of the guides are surrounded by the idea of using google drive, remote accessing and using domains etc. However, my server will only be used locally with the occasional Plex remote access streaming. Hence, I do not need things like port shields and Traefik. Is plexguide the best choice? Or am I better off just installing each program like, Sonarr, Radarr Plex Jackett etc "natively" in Ubuntu.

If I need to do the occasional support or my parents remotely I will simply use Teamviewer to remote access the machine and configure things.

Semi-long story short:
So, are there people here that use plexguide and skip the whole Netdata, Traefik and plexshields, and are running everything locally?

My parents will request movies and tvshows through ombi, the rest of the processes have to be fully automated (indexing, downloading, organising files and placing in Plex directories etc)

Would love some insight :) If plexguide comes to be the right thing for me, I am excited to give a donation and join the community Discord

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

DeadPool

Elite
Staff
May 2, 2018
Welcome the the forum.
For starters, you've done well.
You have the makings of a fair local system!(y)

8tb of hdd will be filled very quickly, however.

But if you're not a data hoarder (some on here have hundreds of TB's) then you should be fine.
The system is more than adequate for a couple of remote streams, certainly for local it will be spot on.

I've had (built) many local servers over many years, and it was my own questioning of my situation that led me to remote..
That situation being that i AM a datawhore(der) and i collect everything i owned on dvd, bluray, laserdisc and vhs (and the rest) and curate the collection so that i have the very best (bar remux level) quality going.
We are talking THOUSANDS of films (8356 at last count to be a*al - hehe 'a*al').
As it stands today JUST THE FILMS are coming in at 0.3 petabytes.
That is obviously not feasible (unless you're really fucking rich and have a massive cooled server room) with consumer hdd's.

TL;DR:
Your system is absolutely fine (spot on) for your parents and/but using PG will simply help make the automation even easier.

dP

Last edited:

DeadPool

Elite
Staff
May 2, 2018
erm... why the f*ck did the system block me from saying the very best word in the English Language?! ffs..

A N A L.
đź’©

NObody censors dP
(or puts them in a corner)

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
The first thing you need to consider is how fast is your parents internet connection up and down? That determines your next step.

To answer your other questions, the video's mention, PG can run locally or remotely and regardless of that choice, you can mount local or remote storage, even both if you want. If you run a remote server in a datacenter, it's directly exposed to the internet, so PG Shield is pretty much mandatory, if it's running locally behind a router/firewall at home, not so much. A domain works the same way, it's easier to administer than remembering an IP and traefik makes that easier again, but again isn't required, not sure what you don't like about netdata, it's a useful tool to see what's going on with your hardware/connection.

Whatever you choose to do, try to stop seeing this as a windows box that you'll need to log into to admin using TeamViewer so you can open a web page, just open the page and do what's required. If you want to run PG great, if not look at FreeNAS/UnRAID, but Windows is the worst OS choice you can make for this.

breakwin

Noobz
Original poster
Jun 5, 2020
Welcome the the forum.
For starters, you've done well.
You have the makings of a fair local system!(y)

8tb of hdd will be filled very quickly, however.

But if you're not a data hoarder (some on here have hundreds of TB's) then you should be fine.
The system is more than adequate for a couple of remote streams, certainly for local it will be spot on.

I've had (built) many local servers over many years, and it was my own questioning of my situation that led me to remote..
That situation being that i AM a datawhore(der) and i collect everything i owned on dvd, bluray, laserdisc and vhs (and the rest) and curate the collection so that i have the very best (bar remux level) quality going.
We are talking THOUSANDS of films (8356 at last count to be a*al - hehe 'a*al').
As it stands today JUST THE FILMS are coming in at 0.3 petabytes.
That is obviously not feasible (unless you're really fucking rich and have a massive cooled server room) with consumer hdd's.

TL;DR:
Your system is absolutely fine (spot on) for your parents and/but using PG will simply help make the automation even easier.

dP
The first thing you need to consider is how fast is your parents internet connection up and down? That determines your next step.

To answer your other questions, the video's mention, PG can run locally or remotely and regardless of that choice, you can mount local or remote storage, even both if you want. If you run a remote server in a datacenter, it's directly exposed to the internet, so PG Shield is pretty much mandatory, if it's running locally behind a router/firewall at home, not so much. A domain works the same way, it's easier to administer than remembering an IP and traefik makes that easier again, but again isn't required, not sure what you don't like about netdata, it's a useful tool to see what's going on with your hardware/connection.

Whatever you choose to do, try to stop seeing this as a windows box that you'll need to log into to admin using TeamViewer so you can open a web page, just open the page and do what's required. If you want to run PG great, if not look at FreeNAS/UnRAID, but Windows is the worst OS choice you can make for this.
Thank you for the replies. My case is able to expand storage, I did not want to spend too much money at first just in case running a server wasnt for me (2TB HDD were on 30% sale). I am sure 8TB will be enough for the around 2000x 1080p movies I am planning to store for now (counting they are 4GB each). In fact, 2000movies are more than enough as I will be using the server myself to use plex remote stream and set up tautulli to track movies to delete and replace etc. In my mind right now; if a movie has been watched by me and my family, it no longer serves a purpose on my server. I understand this is a different mindset than most people here.

What I am really interested in is the automated docker setup made by plexguide, this is really what is getting me to lean towards this as I have zero experience in Linux.
I was thinking of setting up a duckdns and a NGINX proxymanager (reverse proxy) to remote access things like ombi, radarr and sonarr instead off teamviewer actually. However, am i right to assume that traefik can replace NGINX?

Yes my server will be running locally behind our home router so no need for PG shield.

One thing i am still questioning, will PG automatically update the dockers like sonarr, radarr etc? is it possible for them to for example update only at night between 3am - 4am? I am looking to have as little maintanance as possible. Ombi is the only thing which will be accessed frequently (locally and remotely) to add shows/movies once everything is set up

again, thank you for the work and replies

DeadPool

Elite
Staff
May 2, 2018

THIS.

As usual, i talk bollocks..
whilst DM talk sense.
welcome to PG.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

DeadPool

Elite
Staff
May 2, 2018
Thank you for the replies. My case is able to expand storage, I did not want to spend too much money at first just in case running a server wasnt for me (2TB HDD were on 30% sale). I am sure 8TB will be enough for the around 2000x 1080p movies I am planning to store for now (counting they are 4GB each). In fact, 2000movies are more than enough as I will be using the server myself to use plex remote stream and set up tautulli to track movies to delete and replace etc. In my mind right now; if a movie has been watched by me and my family, it no longer serves a purpose on my server. I understand this is a different mindset than most people here.

What I am really interested in is the automated docker setup made by plexguide, this is really what is getting me to lean towards this as I have zero experience in Linux.
I was thinking of setting up a duckdns and a NGINX proxymanager (reverse proxy) to remote access things like ombi, radarr and sonarr instead off teamviewer actually. However, am i right to assume that traefik can replace NGINX?

Yes my server will be running locally behind our home router so no need for PG shield.

One thing i am still questioning, will PG automatically update the dockers like sonarr, radarr etc? is it possible for them to for example update only at night between 3am - 4am? I am looking to have as little maintanance as possible. Ombi is the only thing which will be accessed frequently (locally and remotely) to add shows/movies once everything is set up

again, thank you for the work and replies
yep.traefik with with duck is the way forward.
many on here prefer cloudflare free but i went with duck and never looked back.

watchtower does the updating (also don't forget to consider a time for your backups).
not sure if a time can be specified.
Someone with a much less syphilitically-damaged brain will be along momentarily...

breakwin

Noobz
Original poster
Jun 5, 2020
yep.traefik with with duck is the way forward.
many on here prefer cloudflare free but i went with duck and never looked back.

watchtower does the updating (also don't forget to consider a time for your backups).
not sure if a time can be specified.
Someone with a much less syphilitically-damaged brain will be along momentarily...
well, here i am setting everything up and like most beginners im having problems with traefik, i dont want to deploy too many times being failed either

ive got, 5 domains:
nameo.duckdns.org (ombi)
nameorg.duckdns.org (organizr)
namer.duckdns.org (radarr)
names.duckdns.org (sonarr)
namep.duckdns.org (portainer)

when deploying traefik the settings are: top level domain app: portainer
domain provider : duckdns
domain name i typed: namep.duckdns.org

i have quadra checked the email and token.

at the end before traefik shows that the deployment failed, it is saying that it is trying to reach "portainer.namep.duckdns.org"
why is it changing the domain? i put "namep.duckdns.org"

do my settings seem correct?

DeadPool

Elite
Staff
May 2, 2018
try changing the top domain to something other than prtainer then deploy.
that often works for me.
no idea why it bugs out liek that but give that a try.
i use heimdall and put that as the tld.

dP

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
well, here i am setting everything up and like most beginners im having problems with traefik, i dont want to deploy too many times being failed either

ive got, 5 domains:
nameo.duckdns.org (ombi)
nameorg.duckdns.org (organizr)
namer.duckdns.org (radarr)
names.duckdns.org (sonarr)
namep.duckdns.org (portainer)

when deploying traefik the settings are: top level domain app: portainer
domain provider : duckdns
domain name i typed: namep.duckdns.org

i have quadra checked the email and token.

at the end before traefik shows that the deployment failed, it is saying that it is trying to reach "portainer.namep.duckdns.org"
why is it changing the domain? i put "namep.duckdns.org"

do my settings seem correct?
Its acting correctly. The domain name is the top level domain, in your case namep.duckdns.org. then the containers become subdomains, e.g. portainer.namep.duckdns.org.

Im not familiar with how duckdns works, or it will let you create an entry like you are attempting, but if you can create portainer.namep.duckdns.org that should work.

For your setup to work you would need to set the domain as duckdns.org but like i said i dont think that would validate as you dont own that namespace.

Also whatever you set your top level domain to, e.g. namep.duckdns.org, all your app containers would need to use that root domain, e.g. organizer.namep.duckdns.org.

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending