Home Assistant Missing Hass.io tab? | PlexGuide.com

Home Assistant Missing Hass.io tab?

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

bodgeup

Experienced+
Original poster
Staff
FreeLancer
Donor
Aug 12, 2018
Ive installed Home Assistant but its missing the Hass.io tab which is required to install addons.

Has anyone else run into this?

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
Ive installed Home Assistant but its missing the Hass.io tab which is required to install addons.

Has anyone else run into this?
it has to be something look into. the code was provided to me, but nothing else.

tonycfromit

Experienced
Staff
Mar 16, 2018
This isn't HASS.IO, this is HASS (aka just Home Assistant in a docker).

This version of the install is called "Docker build" in HomeAssistant lingo. The HASS Docker install has no addon button and no pre-built packs like HASS, which is an OS that runs a SERIES OF DOCKERS, kind of like a PG setup but tiny.

This difference is described here:
https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/docker/

Anyway, the good news is that you can get in there yourself in ways you cannot with HASS.IO and add anything you would want from the container bash window (and SSL once it is installed) without things getting in your way! Infortunately; however, this is also the bad news. This will work just fine and do all of the same things (and more) but you need to get your knuckles bloody setting it up. Luckily there are lots of walk throughs, but unless you are good at linux you can say goodbye to 3 or 4 days of your life setting it up.

Personally, I am running an instance on my "home" PG system (one of 3, long story...) that I use just for monitoring things on it like Plex, Kodi, etc... and then connecting that instance to my HASS.IO install on a Pi. This also gives the opportunity to use Traeffik instead of the new 5 dollar a month profit engine that the Home Assistant team setup and do all of your SSL and Open Port stuff without poking holes in your firewall with no security, but it is still not easy to connect multiple home assistant instances. Mine is not quite up to speed yet or I would do a write up with more instructions

TL:DR; the version PG installs is the regular "docker" version of "Home Assistant", not "HASS.IO" (which has prebuilt addon packs) or "Hassbian" (which is more of an operating system). To find out how to configure a standard HomeAssistant build, go to:
https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/docker/

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

tonycfromit

Experienced
Staff
Mar 16, 2018
it has to be something look into. the code was provided to me, but nothing else.
There are 3 different build methods for Home-Assistant:
https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/

He is looking for the "HASS.IO" build's add-on components that come pre installed in the "HASS.IO" configuration. HASS.IO is basically a RPi OS running Docker Swarm (it now can be run as a "cluster-of-dockers" on a non Pi build) and requires not only a cluster of containers but also tends to conflict with non HASS.IO containers that are not approved.

The single-container version that is installed by PG is just called "Home-Assistant - Docker" and it can use many all of the same options (if not more) but it requires manual installs for secondary components which often include adding secondary containers (Node-RED is one that comes to mind but there are hundreds of others) and then linking them. This really is a good solution for our build, fixes many of the remote-server/open port issues that HASSIO can have without paying for a service, and has much more configurability and less overhead than HASS.IO. Unfortunately, it is also hard as F$#%^&! to configure unless you are a Linux expert AND an expert researcher and most of the available community support is neckbeardy and disrespectful to new people in ways I haven't seen outside of a QNAP or TVDB forum.

All that being said, the install and configuration for the single-container version is often a slow-motion car wreck with a cliff-shaped learning curve, take WEEKS, and can often bring about "Software-Aquired Tourettes Syndrome" in many cases, including my own! :LOL:

Last edited:

shmookles

Active
Dec 30, 2018
@tonycfromit I'm having trouble mapping my Zwave USB stick to the home-assistant running in PG. any ideas on how to make it work? I already modified the the home-assistant.yml file to reflect the:

Code:
devices:
          - '/dev/ttyACM0:/dev/ttyACM0:rwm'

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending