Portainer - How do I change a port on app? | PlexGuide.com

Portainer How do I change a port on app?

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

newguy5000

Citizen
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
Plex is being blocked by ISP by the default port. I'm new to portainer.

Is it just ?
  1. Go to PORTAINER site
  2. Go to the CONTAINER LIST
  3. Go to PLEX ( click the name )
  4. Click DUPLICATE/EDIT button up top right
  5. Change the port number on the CONTAINER side
  6. Click DEPLOY THE CONTAINER under the ACTIONS menu
Then Plex will work under the new port?

fr0sty

Veteran
Staff
Donor
Jul 8, 2018
Sort of, that is the workflow for manually adjusting ports yes, BUT if you have portguard on it will block the new port. I'm not clear how to resolve this as i've not looked at how portguard itself functions and if you could fork it to make adjustments. Will have a look in a couple days when i have time, unless someone else answers you.

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
Plex is being blocked by ISP by the default port. I'm new to portainer.

Is it just ?
  1. Go to PORTAINER site
  2. Go to the CONTAINER LIST
  3. Go to PLEX ( click the name )
  4. Click DUPLICATE/EDIT button up top right
  5. Change the port number on the CONTAINER side
  6. Click DEPLOY THE CONTAINER under the ACTIONS menu
Then Plex will work under the new port?
No. Follow through step 4. At step 5 change the port on the host side, and it should be 0.0.0.0:newport# or just port#, not 127.0.0.1:newport#. You will then have to tell Plex in remote connectivity under settings the new port #. Do not change the container port. The only port you need to map externally for Plex is 32400. So if you want it to be port 20000 for example, you would map 0.0.0.0:20000 on host to 32400 in container.

However, the better way is just to use https (port 443) in which you don't have to edit any ports if you are deployed properly. To ensure proper deployment, see if you can get to Plex via https://plex.yourdomain.com. If yes, you are deployed properly. Just go into Plex, settings, network. Under custom names enter:
Save the settings. Now you can get to Plex via app.plex.tv or Plex clients on Roku/APPLETV/androidtv/etc. The remote connectivity indicator might still show red in Plex, that's ok when using a custom name entry like this.

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending