Discussion How much is "too much"? Should I be careful at all of overuse?

matt314159

Original poster
Donor
Local time
7:06 AM
Nov 29, 2018
PG Version
Mount Type
Blitz Unencrypted
Server Type
Remote - Dedicated Server
Finally spun up team drive and blitz this month and have been using it to build out a larger collection at a rapid rate--Lot of UHD content, etc. According to NZBGet I've transferred 40TB so far this month, and we've got another ten days to go.

1574284464437.png

Is there a point at which this kind of behavior is considered abusive, either by hetzner or Gsuite?

I don't anticipate this pace is sustainable, but are there any best practices y'all have picked up over the last few years of using this? I've previously been doing between 5 and 10TB per month, but now that I don't have to be rate-limited to 10MB/s anymore I've been going hog wild. Should I be worried at all or modify my behavior in any way? Hetzner EX42-NVME box with unlimited traffic but if I've got 40TB in it's also 40TB out plus whatever everybody watched for the months.

Xployt

Administrator
Donor
Local time
1:06 PM
Sep 26, 2018
From my experience, no.
Post automatically merged:

And just to emphasise more on my point, apologies I'm currently working.

I'm also with Hetzner and have no issues whatsoever. Also don't forget to keep an eye out for their Black Friday deals, just saying.

The only thing you need to worry about really is your API Limit. When I say worry I mean if anything is going to get flagged then it is that and you will get a 24hr ban however the chance of that actually happening if you're sensible is even still pretty low.

Last edited:
Reactions: matt314159

matt314159

Original poster
Donor
Local time
7:06 AM
Nov 29, 2018
Yep I'm careful about API hits, I've followed the wiki for the --arrs and Plex scanning settings, to help minimize that, and other than my main plex server, the only other way I access my media is via Kodi's Google Drive plugin since UHD playback is so much snappier when I mount my drive directly instead of passing it through hetzner. I did briefly get a couple of API bans when I got the bright idea to install GDFS on my windows 10 home PC and point my local plex at that. No bueno.

I am on the EX-42-NVME in Finland for €34/mo. I am sort of interested in the AX41 server, but not sure it's worth giving up the iGPU hardware transcoding. But the 19800 passmark is tempting. (but they have a 7-10 day backlog on activating the AX boxes at any rate, so I'm not sure they'd want to turn up demand on those by offering black Friday specials)

Aside from that, I don't know your location, but do you know if Hetzner performs better as far as congestion or peering to the US with either their Hetzner or Finland servers? With Finland most of the time I can test 200mb/s or faster to my server, but at certain points that seem to coincide with peak times in the US, it'll drop to 60-80mbps. My home connection is 250Mb/s and it is rock solid day or night, so I am chalking it up to congested peering at some points along the way.

Thanks again for the quick reply. I've had this up and running since February, but only had blitz transferr going the last few weeks. it's amazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edrock200

Edrock200

Local time
8:06 AM
Nov 17, 2019
My opinion: I've seen over 100TB without issue. Have hit API bans numerous times when I was using windows before migrating to linux, haven't hit one since. I believe the thing to be careful about is sharing. Google does seem to care if they see a lot of content being shared with others. That being said, theres no guarantee. If they decide to enforce the 1TB limit, that $12/mo just went to $60/mo (assuming 5+ accounts would still allow for unlimited.) IMO though, still worth the cost, since HD NAS care, feeding and upgrades can easily surpass that cost, and in general thats without the geo-global redundancy/file versioning/world wide infrastructure backing it. But again, theres always a risk.

Reactions: matt314159

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Staff online

Maintenance Donations

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending