How to get xTeVe up and running with PG 8.7.5 -- (5/11/2020) | PlexGuide.com

How to get xTeVe up and running with PG 8.7.5 -- (5/11/2020)

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

zomboassasin

PG First Sergeant
Original poster
FreeLancer
Jan 2, 2019
Hey guys,
A while back I tried out IPTV with Plex using xTeVe but it was fairly buggy and really not worth my time. Since then, however, xTeVe has been updated and so has Plex! So I decided to give it another go and it works WAY better then it did before. The setup (at the moment) is not straight forward at all so I figured I would share what I did to get it working just in case there is someone else out there who wants to give it a shot.

Okay! Let's get started.

Prerequisites

To start you will need to have PG up and running along with Plex + and IPTV service (I am using Beast IPTV)
You will also need to have a S/FTP connection to your server OR alternatively download cloudcmd from the PG Box community apps

Step 1

First things first we are going to download xTeVe, but there is a problem. The current version in the community apps is very out of date and also broken, so we are not gonna use that version

SSH into your server and open up Plex Guide

1589248313447.png

Go to PG Box > Community > PGBlitz's

1589248417654.png

You can see all the community apps including xTeVe but DO NOT INSTALL YET
First, we need to make some changes to a file on the server. So open up your FTP session or cloudcmd in your browser.

Navigate to /opt/communityapps/apps/

1589248589176.png

You can see the xteve.yml file, this is what we are going to edit
Open up the file in an editor of your choosing or in cloudcmd just click the file and select edit

We need to change the image from crobibero/xteve

1589248721538.png

To alturismo/xteve

1589248768247.png

This will pull a different docker image when installing xTeVe. (Just a heads up every time you open PG Box community apps this file will be overwritten! However, it will not matter once it is installed)

Now head back over to your SSH session and go ahead and install xTeVe like normal!

Step 2

Once xTeVe is installed you can access the web interface by heading over to either https://xteve.yourdomain/web/ OR YourIP:34400/web/
(The /web/ matters!)

1.png

Now we can configure xTeVe!

Select how many active streams your IPTV provider allows

21.png

Select XEPG as your EPG Source

22.png

Input the link to your m3u playlist provided by your IPTV Provider
(If you are getting a message saying the file does not exist, try using a link shortener like bit.ly and input the shortened link)

23.png

Now enter a link to your providers XMLTV File also provided to you by your IPTV Provider
(If you were not provided one search online for your specific provider)

24.png

After the initial setup xTeVe should be running and ready to configure with Plex!
You may need to set up a filter for the channels you want.

I won't go into detail on the actual setup it is fairly well documented and straightforward and this post is long enough.
Once your DVR is configured, restart Plex and you should be good to go!

One thing I did want to note is that I could not stream until I went into xTeVe and turned on the stream buffer to FFmpeg, I also changed the buffer size to 8 MB.

I do have one source for this post who I stole some screenshots from so shoutout to them. Hopefully, this guide can help someone!

Cheers!

mackattack57

PG Sergeant Major
Apr 14, 2019
Good write up. Do you have a reason that you like alturismo over b10m1?

I ask because I edited up a YML with the latter but I still don't like the way it behaves with Emby and Guide data.

Thanks for working on it. Always trying to get this working the way I want it to work. I kept losing channels when editing the channel numbers to get auto mapping to Emby Guide data. Now, I don't edit channel numbers but guide data doesn't seem to download

Reactions: DeadPool

zomboassasin

PG First Sergeant
Original poster
FreeLancer
Jan 2, 2019
I still don't like the way it behaves with Emby and Guide data
I have not really looked into how it performs with Emby. As far as why I chose this branch over any others was because it is listed as the official docker image on the xteve github page so I figured it would be the most up to date and stable. For me with my provider I have had it running with plex with no issues for about a week, my guide data updates normally. You may want to check out some of the other releases on their github page which include alternatives for downloading guide data.

fr0sty

PG 1st Lieutenant
Staff
Donor
Jul 8, 2018
Wow well done and thanks for taking the time to document! Ill see if i can get the container updated to avoid a step. Will post results of that, when its changed. Do you mind if I use your info (credit) in the wiki?

You have pushed me to finally tackle this task. Wish me luck!

mackattack57

PG Sergeant Major
Apr 14, 2019
GO for it. It would be great if the container could get updated
I edited mine to give that build a test drive and will let you know. I use ipTorrents for ipTV and it seems that I might be causing an issue with the guide data myself using the XML feed to edit channel numbers without changing to the xTeVe Dummy listing. I am testing that out now. My main thing is that channels kept disappearing if the feed updated at all and I don't want to have to edit channels every two to three days.

If I get this nailed down, I will write it up for everyone.

Who are you using for your provider? This is really just a hobby that I am trying to figure out because I use it to scrape kids shows mainly that don't show up on NZB or Torrents much. I don't want to fill up my home DVR trying to keep up with tons of cartoons so I have it uploading to my GSuite and then sync to home server.

I appreciate someone else working on it as my job has been nuts lately and it seems that I get to work on this a little bit and then I will be swamped for two weeks.

Thanks again!

• Love
Reactions: Admin9705

mackattack57

PG Sergeant Major
Apr 14, 2019
Hey @zomboassasin thanks for looking out on that build.

I like it so far. I think part of my issue was trying to map the channel numbers manually so I could get emby to pull guide data and xTeVe would alway assign it a new channel number when the stream changed.

The xTeVe docker build from bl0m1/xtevedocker isn't bad either. That other file is the same as everything you have there so my only addition would be until they change the official container in the community apps would be to edit via SSH also.

cd /opt/communityapps/apps
cp xteve.yml /opt/mycontainers
replace the container image
save file with anything slightly different (my current build is xteve1)
sudo plexguide 5,2,1 xteve1 install

just a different suggestion on your good work if people don't have cloudcmd in their build. I didn't so this is how I went about it. Thanks again!

mackattack57

PG Sergeant Major
Apr 14, 2019
@zomboassasin did you know how i can edit channels not mapping by xteve?
i can't get all the channels of Beast TV.

View attachment 4430

View attachment 4431
When I don't have an XML file for it, I use xTeVe Dummy and it will activate the channel. IF there is a listing in Plex or Emby for the guide data that you can map, you can use it instead. I haven't tested Beast yet but figured I would try and help.

Reactions: corvux

SemperFratres

PG Sergeant
Donor
Aug 24, 2018
I am having an issue with Plex parsing the data from the XML file during setup.
Using the XEPG URL provided at the top of xteve.
Ubuntu 18.04
Any ideas?

fr0sty

PG 1st Lieutenant
Staff
Donor
Jul 8, 2018
@Admin9705 please update container to alturismo/xteve works good. I'll update wiki after that. Thanks

Last edited:

mackattack57

PG Sergeant Major
Apr 14, 2019
I am having an issue with Plex parsing the data from the XML file during setup.
Using the XEPG URL provided at the top of xteve.
Ubuntu 18.04
Any ideas?
When you setup xTeVe, are you telling it that you will use Plex for Guide Data or an XML? If the former, Plex only lets you map your channels using their guide data. If the latter, then what is your path for your XML in Plex? Are you using http://xteve:34400/xmltv/xteve.xml ?

I use Emby for my live TV because it lets me use Emby Guide Data and XML side by side.
Post automatically merged:

@Admin9705 please update container to alturismo/xteve works good. I'll update wiki after that. Thanks
When I looked last night while working on something slightly related, it appeared to be changed already.

SemperFratres

PG Sergeant
Donor
Aug 24, 2018
When you setup xTeVe, are you telling it that you will use Plex for Guide Data or an XML? If the former, Plex only lets you map your channels using their guide data. If the latter, then what is your path for your XML in Plex? Are you using http://xteve:34400/xmltv/xteve.xml ?

I use Emby for my live TV because it lets me use Emby Guide Data and XML side by side.
Post automatically merged:

When I looked last night while working on something slightly related, it appeared to be changed already.

I am not using Plex for the guide. When I input my zip code, it wont continue, so using the XML.
The address I am using is what is shown at the top of xteve setup.

I cannot find (via find command) any directory named xmltv, not any file named xteve.xml

I have also tried the link you posted above, as well as IP address.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Jan 17, 2018

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending