How to transfer encrypted files back to local? | PlexGuide.com

How to transfer encrypted files back to local?

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

MrSweet1991

Experienced+
Original poster
Jan 30, 2019
Hi All,

still wrapping my head around things, but one simple thing I just don't understand is how do I download the encrypted gdrive/tdrive files to my local computer from GCE? This may be more of an rclone question but I'm not sure..

MrSweet1991

Experienced+
Original poster
Jan 30, 2019
Filezilla!
Use SFTP
Navigat to /mnt/unionfs/
And well done
Thanks Mr Doob,

I followed a filezilla tutorial which uses putty key generator and it did connect but the directories where empty so do I need to somehow obtain the keys from GCE under my username? I can see a .ssh folder in /mrsweet1991/home/.ssh but no idea how to get them or whether I even need to?

KuyaVinny

Citizen
Jan 27, 2019
Thanks Mr Doob,

I followed a filezilla tutorial which uses putty key generator and it did connect but the directories where empty so do I need to somehow obtain the keys from GCE under my username? I can see a .ssh folder in /mrsweet1991/home/.ssh but no idea how to get them or whether I even need to?
For clarification, SFTP into the plexguide server?

MrSweet1991

Experienced+
Original poster
Jan 30, 2019
For clarification, SFTP into the plexguide server?
Into Google Compute Engine, I've been trying for hours and I'm having no look. I've generated SSH keys from puttygen for users "mrsweet1991" "root" and some do actually get in but there's no access to /mnt/ it's just an empty directory. I was trying to get root permissions by generating various "root" SSH keys but it still doesn't work.

MrSweet1991

Experienced+
Original poster
Jan 30, 2019
Filezilla!
Use SFTP
Navigat to /mnt/unionfs/
And well done
Could you chime in a bit more on this please? I've wiped GCE and started again because I think I tried that many things I couldn't backtrack.. for example I SSH in to GCE and plexguide wasn't recognised :ROFLMAO:

So a new installation is nearly done, what do I do in Filezilla? I'm fairly sure using the GCE external IP and my username will make GCE request a private key and if that's the case I'm not sure how to get it?

M

MrDoob

SFTP using SSH2: Key based authentication
There are three mechanisms for use of the FileZilla client with SSH2 keys.
  1. In the profile settings in the Site Manager of the FileZilla client. If the SFTP Protocol is specified, it is possible to specify the Logon Type as "Key File" and specify the location of the private key file (in .ppk or .pem format - see below for conversion options from other formats.) The user is prompted for the key file's password if necessary, which may optionally be cached by Filezilla until it is next shut down.
  2. In the Edit - Settings menu of the FileZilla client, you can [Add key file...] under Connection - SFTP, and FileZilla can then use the public key authentication in the site manager with the 'Interactive' Logontype on connection. Note: Importing a site's public key is not supported.
  3. (Windows only) Using the excellent PuTTY tools. To allow the use of RSA / DSA key files with Filezilla, you'll need to download two more tools from PuTTY: Pageant and (assuming your key file isn't already in PPK format) PuTTYgen.
If your key file is already in PuTTY's PPK format you can skip this paragraph. However if your key is in OpenSSH format, you first need to convert it to PuTTY's PPK format. To do this, launch PuTTYgen and from the "Conversions" menu, select the "Import key" option. Select your key and follow the prompts to enter your pass phrase. Save your private key.
Now run Pageant. In your system tray, you'll see the Pageant icon appear. Right-click the icon and select "Add Key" and select your private key (PPK) file. Follow the prompt to enter your pass phrase and you're done.
Now simply launch FileZilla and connect to your server using SFTP using SSH2 with a username and an empty password. Don't forget to close pageant when you're done.
This also works with the portable versions of FileZilla and PuTTY tools.

MrSweet1991

Experienced+
Original poster
Jan 30, 2019
SFTP using SSH2: Key based authentication
There are three mechanisms for use of the FileZilla client with SSH2 keys.
  1. In the profile settings in the Site Manager of the FileZilla client. If the SFTP Protocol is specified, it is possible to specify the Logon Type as "Key File" and specify the location of the private key file (in .ppk or .pem format - see below for conversion options from other formats.) The user is prompted for the key file's password if necessary, which may optionally be cached by Filezilla until it is next shut down.
  2. In the Edit - Settings menu of the FileZilla client, you can [Add key file...] under Connection - SFTP, and FileZilla can then use the public key authentication in the site manager with the 'Interactive' Logontype on connection. Note: Importing a site's public key is not supported.
  3. (Windows only) Using the excellent PuTTY tools. To allow the use of RSA / DSA key files with Filezilla, you'll need to download two more tools from PuTTY: Pageant and (assuming your key file isn't already in PPK format) PuTTYgen.
If your key file is already in PuTTY's PPK format you can skip this paragraph. However if your key is in OpenSSH format, you first need to convert it to PuTTY's PPK format. To do this, launch PuTTYgen and from the "Conversions" menu, select the "Import key" option. Select your key and follow the prompts to enter your pass phrase. Save your private key.
Now run Pageant. In your system tray, you'll see the Pageant icon appear. Right-click the icon and select "Add Key" and select your private key (PPK) file. Follow the prompt to enter your pass phrase and you're done.
Now simply launch FileZilla and connect to your server using SFTP using SSH2 with a username and an empty password. Don't forget to close pageant when you're done.
This also works with the portable versions of FileZilla and PuTTY tools.
Thanks Mr Doob,

I believe I managed to use Puttygen to create a public/private key (public key set in GCE Metadata, Private in FileZilla) it connected but that won't give me permissions to view /mnt/unionfs/ so I was wondering if I'm supposed to copy the private key from somewhere?

MrSweet1991

Experienced+
Original poster
Jan 30, 2019
Nevermind, I generated another public/private key and did the steps I tried last night and for some reason I have no problem accessing root directories :/ I spent literally 6+ hours last night doing exactly what I just did

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending