Plex - HW Transcoding suddenly stopped working on my Hetzner EX42-NVME | PlexGuide.com

Plex HW Transcoding suddenly stopped working on my Hetzner EX42-NVME

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

soy_titooo

Citizen
Original poster
Apr 5, 2020
Hello,

I'm not a new user but for some reason I don't get the "reset password" email so I had to create a new account.

My setup:
  • hetzner ex 42-nvme
  • ubuntu 18.04
  • pgblitz v8.7.5
Issue:
  • Plex with hw transcoding working correctly till few weeks ago
I believe it should work correctly because:
/dev/dri is part of the plex container with Privilege mode
/dev/dri has 777 permissions
crwxrwxrwx 1 root video 226, 128 Jan 12 01:27 renderD128
vainfo command shows "vainfo: Driver version: Intel i965 driver for Intel(R) Skylake - 2.1.0"

When I play a 1080p h264 video forcing the resolution to be 720p I only see "Transcode" rather than "Transcode (hw)" on Plex Dashboard. Coudl someone help me?

macvirii

Citizen
May 26, 2019
I just installed my pgblitz on the same instance as you this weekend.
My transcoding was also not working, I tried everything (the document lines where OK, I installed the new kernel as discussed in other topic too) but no dice.
The host ls -la /dev/dri was working but nothing was working within the container.
as I saw the script of the app on pgblitz, I tryed redeploying everything (just did a redeploy of traefik)... and then everything started working again, like a charm.

TLDR: Try redeploying the containers

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

soy_titooo

Citizen
Original poster
Apr 5, 2020
I re-deployed plex container and it still didn't work. I re-deployed everything with traefik and still not working.

According to the wiki it should work but for some reasons Plex dashboard still shows only "Transcode" rather than "Transcode (hw).
It has been working without issues for months so no idea why it doesn't now....

The only thing I didn't try was updating the kernel. I'd prefer to not do it since it worked till few weeks ago perfectly... My current kernel is 4.15.0-70-generic. How could update it without risking breaking the system

macvirii

Citizen
May 26, 2019
On the Hardware transcoding topic, it was said to restart the server, so I already did some restarts and even after it was still unavailable. But the redeploy surely helped me.
Hope our discussion helps more people in the future

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending