Discussion - Increasing the CPUs on Google Instance | PlexGuide.com

Discussion Increasing the CPUs on Google Instance

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

molesza

Active
Original poster
Feb 6, 2018
I have just setup the GCE feeder. Only have nzbget, sonarr and radarr installed. I am seeing an issue where the Post Processing queue is getting rather large and not keeping up with the downloads. Im thinking increasing from 2 cpus to 4 would be the way to go (correct me if im wrong).

I have already limited my download speed in nzbget to 50MB as its only uploading to Gdrive at that speed. Im happy with 50MB!!! :)

How do I go about increasing the CPUs? If that is what I should do. On the google computing page it says that I cant stop an instance with a local SSD so I dont understand how I would edit the instance to 4 CPUs?

I have also set NZBget to "agressive mode" with post processing as all it is doing is my downloads.

Help please!

Massive Kudos to all that are involved in this project. Great stuff and an amazing community. Keep it up!

peteypy

Active
Feb 21, 2019
I would just go into your google compute console, stop the instance and edit to 4CPUs to see if you get the improvement you want and if it's worth double the price. If not just stop it again and edit it back down to 2CPUS.

peteypy

Active
Feb 21, 2019
Sorry only read part of your post and just realized you won't be able to do that! Maybe you can take a snapshot then recreate the instance without the local ssd?

molesza

Active
Original poster
Feb 6, 2018
Thanks for your replies! Any insight on how to snapshot and move to a new instance?

peteypy

Active
Feb 21, 2019
From my experience on gce I would just click the snapshot tab on the left panel. Create snapshot. Pick our server in the dropdown and click create or whatever. When its done you can click on the snapshot in that tab and you'll see an option to create instance within that snapshot (top of page). Then just pick your options (CPUS, ram, etc). If you need more than 200GB then just attach a 2nd disk. That should be all it takes really but if anyone else has insight about how that works with pgblitz that might help. I don't know for sure if that would break something within pg but I know it would work outside of it bc i've done it that way

Somedude

Experienced
Staff
Oct 28, 2018
right now GCE is setup to use a normal boot disk and a NVME drive. The NVME drive will be deleted if the instance is stopped. Adding more cores will stop the instance, up the cores, then restart. Also a snapshot has issues since if saves the data, but doesn't account for remounting the nvme and putting the files on it. Your best bet is to backup with pgvault, then restore on a new instance with the specs you want.

Also if your post processing que isn't keeping up, make sure to check netdata to see if the cpu is actually being maxed or if it is your nzbget settings not allowing it to more at once.

Reactions: 1 user

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending