Discussion - Is it possible to change from encrypted to unencrypted? | PlexGuide.com

Discussion Is it possible to change from encrypted to unencrypted?

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

justinglock40

Experienced
Original poster
May 27, 2018
As listed in the title, I'm trying to seek information as to how I can disable my current encrypted TDrive drive uploads and transfer the existing media to unencrypted TDrive so that is human-readable. I would also like to be able to do this all on google's server without having to download and re-upload everything?

The ultimate goal is to prepare library for the .strm files for emby and Kodi that are being worked on?

Jan 7, 2020
As listed in the title, I'm trying to seek information as to how I can disable my current encrypted TDrive drive uploads and transfer the existing media to unencrypted TDrive so that is human-readable. I would also like to be able to do this all on google's server without having to download and re-upload everything?

The ultimate goal is to prepare library for the .strm files for emby and Kodi that are being worked on?
Sorry to revive a dead thread but we're you able to do the transfer? If so would you mind sharing how?

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
I think Google killed strm but I could be wrong. You cannot decrypt without downloading/reuploading, but you can decrypt. Easiest way is make a folder on your team drive, let's call it decrypt. The run something like:
sudo rclone copy --config /var/appdata/plexdata/rclone.conf --fast-list --use--mmap --drive-chunk-size 256M -P gcrypt: tdrive:decrypt

But...you can only do 750G / day. Theres ways around this but it will require some additional steps. How big is your crypt content?

Jan 7, 2020
I think Google killed strm but I could be wrong. You cannot decrypt without downloading/reuploading, but you can decrypt. Easiest way is make a folder on your team drive, let's call it decrypt. The run something like:
sudo rclone copy --config /var/appdata/plexdata/rclone.conf --fast-list --use--mmap --drive-chunk-size 256M -P gcrypt: tdrive:decrypt

But...you can only do 750G / day. Theres ways around this but it will require some additional steps. How big is your crypt content?
20ish or so terabytes. The transfer limit shouldn't be a problem though. It's my home connection that would be the bottleneck (200/20). I was wanting to decrypt as I wasn't sure I could do the Plex dance. Not even sure if that would fix my issue at this point as I think it's unrelated. Thanks for the script. I appreciate it. BTW what's stem?

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
20ish or so terabytes. The transfer limit shouldn't be a problem though. It's my home connection that would be the bottleneck (200/20). I was wanting to decrypt as I wasn't sure I could do the Plex dance. Not even sure if that would fix my issue at this point as I think it's unrelated. Thanks for the script. I appreciate it. BTW what's stem?
From the original poster, strm files was a way for plex/emby/jellyfin to hand a strm file to the client. The small strm file had a url direct to google drive with a temp token so the clients could stream the content direct from google drive vs your servers, but for this to work the content needs to be decrypted.

If I were you, I would use the $300 free google cloud credits that come with every account to spin up a google cloud server and do your decryption from there. I was able to do 60TB is a few days this way.

Reactions: 1 user

stammbraeu

Experienced+
Staff
Donor
Mar 21, 2018
From the original poster, strm files was a way for plex/emby/jellyfin to hand a strm file to the client. The small strm file had a url direct to google drive with a temp token so the clients could stream the content direct from google drive vs your servers, but for this to work the content needs to be decrypted.

If I were you, I would use the $300 free google cloud credits that come with every account to spin up a google cloud server and do your decryption from there. I was able to do 60TB is a few days this way.
@Edrock200
Can you elaborate on how you did this with the GCE
i basically face the same issue but decided not to pursue that road as my 70TB in combination with the 750GB limit would take too long

I was thinking of using a PG Blitz unencrpyted but somehow mount the encrypted tdrive as well and then move the files to /mnt/move/ which in turn then should upload unencrypted again

not sure how to accomplish that - therefore i would be really interested in your setup

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
@Edrock200
Can you elaborate on how you did this with the GCE
i basically face the same issue but decided not to pursue that road as my 70TB in combination with the 750GB limit would take too long

I was thinking of using a PG Blitz unencrpyted but somehow mount the encrypted tdrive as well and then move the files to /mnt/move/ which in turn then should upload unencrypted again

not sure how to accomplish that - therefore i would be really interested in your setup
The method you mentioned should work but "My Drive only allows for ~8TB download/day. If your ok with this limit, the method you stated should work. Just use rclone to make mount your crypted drive. You can even use your current of blitz install to deploy your gcloud instance.

What I did, at a high level:
Setup a Google share drive. Make a folder called decrypt.
Stop your containers.
Drag your encrypt folder to the share drive.
Install rclone, create your decrypt and crypt mounts to the share drive.

Use sagen and sasync all's go generate service accounts and sasync to copy between your crypt remote and decrypt remote. Each Gsuite account can generate thousands of service accounts. Each service account can upload 750G to. Share drive. So you can upload petabytes in a day with this configuration. Sagen auto generates the accounts and a csv to add to a group, and sasync auto rotates through the accounts in rclone in an automated manner.

stammbraeu

Experienced+
Staff
Donor
Mar 21, 2018
i took a look at sa-gen and sa-sync and it looks very promising

I have one more question:
With the mentioned approach i will not be able to use the encrypted content in Plex as i have moved it to another share

i there a way to copy the encrypt folder rather than moving it?
or did i missunderstood you?

is there a reason why you are creating a new share and not using the existing one?

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
i took a look at sa-gen and sa-sync and it looks very promising

I have one more question:
With the mentioned approach i will not be able to use the encrypted content in Plex as i have moved it to another share

i there a way to copy the encrypt folder rather than moving it?
or did i missunderstood you?

is there a reason why you are creating a new share and not using the existing one?
You willl be able to use it after moving. Just redeploy pgblitz as tdrive encrypted after moving the encrypt folder, make sure to use the same passwords for your encryption, and it will mount in the new location. The issue is Google drive doesn't allow you to copy folders, and if you did it via /mnt/move, it will count against your daily limits, where as if you just move between my drive and tdrive, it's instant, no limits apply (other than the 400,000 object limit per team drive.)

stammbraeu

Experienced+
Staff
Donor
Mar 21, 2018
@Edrock200
I dont get it - maybe there is a misunderstanding

My current setup:
PG Blitz encrypted on a teamdrive

I would like to get rid of the encryption - either on a teamdrive or on my drive

What is the purpose of moving the encryption folder to a different teamdrive?

Wouldnt it work on the existing team drive?

Also i thought that due to the encryption i cant use server side copy -> therefore i have to download the content and then reupload it to the different folder
or do i have a conceptual misunderstanding?

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
@Edrock200
I dont get it - maybe there is a misunderstanding

My current setup:
PG Blitz encrypted on a teamdrive

I would like to get rid of the encryption - either on a teamdrive or on my drive

What is the purpose of moving the encryption folder to a different teamdrive?

Wouldnt it work on the existing team drive?

Also i thought that due to the encryption i cant use server side copy -> therefore i have to download the content and then reupload it to the different folder
or do i have a conceptual misunderstanding?
My apologies bud, I misread. I though you were encrypted on my drive. So this is even better. You don't have to move anything. In fact, you can make a new team drive and use sasync to copy all 60tb encrypted to the new drive in a matter of hours. That way you can play with your decrypt options w/o fear of harming your base data set.

stammbraeu

Experienced+
Staff
Donor
Mar 21, 2018
all clear

first sync from tdrive to tdrive is running
Speed between 700MB/s and 1GB/s

so far its working and i learned a lot about rclone

THANKS A LOT for your support
Post automatically merged:

using parallel i now use speeds between 1,5GB/s and 7GB/s

i like it

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
No prob. Glad you got it working. Those speeds though are probably server side sync though which means you aren't decrypting at the destination. Is that your intention with this sync? For best speeds I find these options work well:
-p 20 --transfers 8 --drive-chunk-size 256M --max-transfer 650G (lower this to 500G for 4K or remux content)

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending