Discussion - Issues Deploying Traefik | PlexGuide.com

Discussion Issues Deploying Traefik

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

5000magicman

Citizen
Original poster
Jan 21, 2019
Hey there,
I just went out and purchased new hardware for a server and was going through the installation.

When deploying PG says: "StandBy - Portainer Validation Checks: 0 Seconds"
And it just hangs there indefinitely. After waiting an hour or two, there are no logs in either Traefik or Portainer regarding any issues.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
Sounds like maybe you install pg v10 vs 8.7.5? If so, install 8.7.5. 10 isn't ready for prime time yet.

5000magicman

Citizen
Original poster
Jan 21, 2019
Thanks for the recommendation @Edrock200! I do believe that I am on 8.7.5 as in the top it tells me:
? Blitz | Version: 8.7.5 | ID: Plex

I believe it is some form of networking issue as when I use an external site to check the domain that I am running it on, it can connect but locally cannot as I do not have a DNS lookup server internally. Is this required? I just connect by ip and am wanting the domain setup for external access.

If you have any other recommendations, please let me know. Thanks so much!

ZennyBenny

Citizen
May 6, 2019
I've had this same issue. That check needs to resolve correctly or it just stops. This is likely to do with NAT Loopback / Hairpinning. A lot of routers don't support it and trying to resolve a domain name to a local server won't work properly. I managed to get it working by installing a dnsmasq in a docker container but I had to really mess around with the networking settings on the host machine and think I actually broke something as a week or so later everything stopped working. Would love to get a working solution for this.

Reactions: 1 user

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
I'll patch this later on and push out 8.7.6 with a new count down loop.

Reactions: 1 users

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
*Edit* ZennyBenny beat me to it. Great info ZennyBenny!

I think I discovered the issue here, at least in my case. I have plexguide behind a NAT, with pfsense as a firewall. By default, pfsense, and many other routers/firewalls will not allow for a traffic loopback condition in which the traffic is sourced on the inside of your network but hitting your external interface to come back inside. This check failure seems to cause the traefik lookup to hang.

There are a few solutions for this.

Universal solution for Cloudflare users: Set your cloudflare DNS entry to "Proxy" vs DNS only.

For pfsense, you have three options:

Goto System -> Advanced -> Admin Access and under Alternate Hostnames - key in your new domain name. You can add extra domain names by separating them with spaces.
or
Go to System > Advanced, Firewall/NAT tab. then you need to enable three options:
1) Pure NAT for NAT Reflection mode for port forwards 2) Enable NAT Reflection for 1:1 NAT 3) Enable automatic outbound NAT for Reflection
or
System->Advanced->Firewall and NAT there is an option "Automatically create outbound NAT rules which assist inbound NAT rules that direct traffic back out to the same subnet it originated from."

Source:

Reactions: 3 users

ZennyBenny

Citizen
May 6, 2019
Thanks for the first rate response. I would never have thought of Cloudflare proxy as I kind of dismissed cloudflare entirely due to the no wildcard support for subdomains. But may have to look into it a little more closely.

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
Thanks! Yeah the nice thing is even if you create a wild card entry, you can still create proxied specific dns aliases. They will take priority over the wild card entry. Like for Plex you'll need a specific "Plex" alias or A record for it to use CDN.

fyrstrm

Experienced
Donor
May 1, 2020
I'll patch this later on and push out 8.7.6 with a new count down loop.
I am having the same issue. Everything else worked and my certs are working but traefik says it's not not deployed properly and my main dns and selected top app both get a 404 page not found error. All the subs-domains though work fine and are secured. It hung at exactly the same place as the others -> right at portainer check. @bodgeup or @Admin9705 Is there a way to fix the routing to my top app and having the main domain work? Thanks for any advice. I don't want to redeploy as i don't want to get banned again. : )

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
I am having the same issue. Everything else worked and my certs are working but traefik says it's not not deployed properly and my main dns and selected top app both get a 404 page not found error. All the subs-domains though work fine and are secured. It hung at exactly the same place as the others -> right at portainer check. @bodgeup or @Admin9705 Is there a way to fix the routing to my top app and having the main domain work? Thanks for any advice. I don't want to redeploy as i don't want to get banned again. : )
If your using cloudflare, click on "proxied" for the portainer dns entry in your cloudflare DNS.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
For anyone using PGX Beta, there will a fix in 10.0.6. In 10.0.7, will work on adding a second easier method (that would become the primary).

fyrstrm

Experienced
Donor
May 1, 2020
If your using cloudflare, click on "proxied" for the portainer dns entry in your cloudflare DNS.
Ok I’ll try that. What about the primary domain and setting organizer instead of portainer to top level app. Or should I just leave as portainer and do as you e suggested? Will that fix the primary as well or do I need to proxy that as well? Thanks

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
Ok I’ll try that. What about the primary domain and setting organizer instead of portainer to top level app. Or should I just leave as portainer and do as you e suggested? Will that fix the primary as well or do I need to proxy that as well? Thanks
For the initial deployment, I would leave it at defaults, however if you've changed it to organizr (remember the container doesn't have the "e"), make your organizr cname or A Record proxied as well.

If it still fails, and you haven't already, confirm your are using your cloudflare global API key and the email is correct. If both are, increase your dns check delay to 120 seconds and in the PG options menu set the host dns to cloudflare. Lastly, before deploying again, reboot the host first.

hk416

Noobz
Jul 6, 2020
Go to System > Advanced, Firewall/NAT tab. then you need to enable three options:
1) Pure NAT for NAT Reflection mode for port forwards 2) Enable NAT Reflection for 1:1 NAT 3) Enable automatic outbound NAT for Reflection
or
System->Advanced->Firewall and NAT there is an option "Automatically create outbound NAT rules which assist inbound NAT rules that direct traffic back out to the same subnet it originated from."

Source:
This worked for me instantly! Thanks so much Edrock!

Reactions: 1 users

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending