Issues with buffering - always the same pattern

Kiminoth

Original poster
Local time
10:26 PM
Mar 12, 2019
Hey guys,

I've tried just about everything.

For a bit over a month or so now, Plex will play a show, but then all of a sudden, the connection with start going inconsistent, spiking bandwidth and then finally causing Plex to buffer.

No idea what causes it, but it's always a similar bandwidth pattern from this picture:

Fairly consistent connection for about 5-15mins, then it's spikes up and down, finally buffering. The left consistent part is what it looks like while it's working fine.

I've tried changes the rclone settings, Plex settings, remounting everything, nothing seems to work. Sometimes it works fine, since it all started, there's been a time when I've easily watched a 30gb movie, that other example was a 1GB tv show. Doesn't seem to be a size issue, almost more a timing thing.

This is from a local server too, I have both a hetzner and a local NUC but at home I stream from that which has plexguide set up on it too.

Last edited:

MidPredator

Local time
8:26 AM
Dec 4, 2019
1. are you running on PC or Mac and seedbox for Plex Server?
2. Are you on router wired or wifi?
3. outbound or inbound ( home )

Reactions: Xployt

Kiminoth

Original poster
Local time
10:26 PM
Mar 12, 2019
My local share is off plexguide installed on a NUC.

Everything is wired and is at home.

Annoyingly, after weeks of changing rclone settings, redeploying mounts, and endless searching, I think I might have sorted out the issue.

Was streaming a movie last night and it was again doing it, no matter what I set as the settings in rclone it seemed. Then I finally put the VFS-read-chunk-size-limit back to its default and it worked flawlessly (size-limit was previously set as no limit). I tried again this morning and after 40 minutes it didn't buffer once.

Fingers crossed it stays that way. Not sure how it changed in the first place.

Thanks for replying though, I was almost at my wit's end haha.

Reactions: MidPredator

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.