LazyLibrarian - Lazylibrarian | PlexGuide.com

LazyLibrarian Lazylibrarian

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

eclipseserena

Active
Original poster
Oct 25, 2018
The instructions on the wiki seem a bit unclear and I tried using one books with and it did not import the book either ebook or audiobook and upload it to Google Drive I feel like I'm missing a step and I would like someone who has it working properly to maybe post a step-by-step guide on how to get this working properly

Last edited:

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
It needs updates by someone who uses it. I personally don't, but if you get it over time; please update. I apologize :D

captngimpy

Experienced+
Staff
Mar 14, 2018
I have wanted to use it but unfortunately I don't quite understand it either nor have the time right now to figure it out.

T

TheShadow

It doesn't need updates it works... I use it. However you'll find a lot of stuff won't import due to read seek issues. It's either a bad/incompatible file or a Lazy Librarian bug.

You need to connect a downloader and am indexers (providers).

You need to add stuff as "Wanted". The download dir (processing settings) is a comma separated list. Remove the folders for the downloaders you don't use.

Check the history and logs, for more info on how to use it, you should read the docs on it over at their site.

It's not a sonarr/radarr quality app, it's not the most friendly to use but it works.

By default it uses /mnt/unionfs/ebooks and abooks as your library folders, you may need to create the directories.

captngimpy

Experienced+
Staff
Mar 14, 2018
I think @Admin9705 (great Lord and Savior of all lost digital souls) was talking about the wiki being updated not app itself. In my experience LL is like you said not on par with the *arrs and that unfortunate it mainly rest on the scene it self lidarr suffer from this also there is no standard. Also there are bundles that happen with music and books that effect searches. So you search for a writer and you want just the books they have written but there may be a serious of books that they only wrote half of bit you want the whole set. This is where I have found my issues when I'm asked for 1 book I really can use LL to find that one book. I have to find the author then find that book and then probably not get it for a bit.

T

TheShadow

For that it's because all of the statuses set in the settings are 'wanted', this is true if you installed it before 3 months ago. You may need to review those settings

bretc

Experienced
Donor
Donor
Aug 8, 2018
I've tried to set it up multiple times and just can't get it working. I've read various wikis and posts out there (not that there are many), but the best step-by-step documentation I can find uses a specific docker version, so it doesn't seem to work in the end.

And I can't even get past the start page for calibre-web because I'm supposed to point it to the calibredb (metadata.db) and the only one I can find is in opt/appdata/calibre-web which doesn't work.

rdp-calibre doesn't seem to do anything at all and I can't access it.

My understanding is:
  • lazylibrarian looks for stuff and syncs with Goodreads (like sonarr or radarr, at least in theory).
  • rdp-calibre is supposed to be the backend actually running the library management system.
  • calibre-web provides a front end for the user to browse and access (read directly in a browser) and add books (via download or email to kindle) to their device.
The farthest I can get is connecting Lazylibrarian with Goodreads so that it imports my authors. I can then manually mark some books as "Wanted", but nothing else ever seems to happen. In settings, it says it's communicating both with nzbget and with nzbhydra, so I can't figure out where disconnect is occurring. o_O

Edit: I just played with a bunch of settings and it's possible I never switched the books/authors over to "active" before--all I know is it's finally grabbing books and sending them to nzbget. I'll update on whether it is properly putting them in the library afterwards. If that is working then I should be able to manually install calibre and point it to the library directory (and then I should be able to use calibre-web!). ?

Last edited:

timmeh

Experienced+
Feb 14, 2019
Man, it’s a struggle.
For what it’s worth I got calbre-web and rdp-calibre ‘running’ (as in I could access them as servers), but could not get them setup And configured with google drive. It’s a nightmare to attempt to fix. Issues with docker versions, .json credential files and all sorts. I abandoned my attempted in October and haven’t bothered going back.
I’m running my book server off my windows PC at home for now, until this is sorted. Admin has said on other posts that this will be sorted in next release so ????.

bretc

Experienced
Donor
Donor
Aug 8, 2018
Ugh, that's disheartening. Well, I have a little time off, so I might see if I can get the calibre side of things working on the server. I have used it on Windows for years and even though it's a little clunky, it's really the best book management program I've found and is extremely powerful once you figure out the navigation.
Now that I have (almost) everything set up on this server, I'm scared to switch to a new version...

As for getting them set up with Google drive, I don't think you want to use their drive functionality, and instead point them to the mapped local paths that Plexguide creates. For example, my library paths will be:
/mnt/unionfs/ebooks
/mnt/unionfs/abooks

The above actually go to my shared gdrive but Calibre doesn't really need to know it's accessing gdrive at all. Forgive me if this isn't what you mean, but regardless, I'll update again if I get it working.

timmeh

Experienced+
Feb 14, 2019
Sorry for not explaining myself properly first time round. My progress so far:

Calibre RDP - works insofar as it loads and I can begin to configure the library. Very slow and clunky. High on processing power.
When attempting to save current library, load an existing library or create new library in /mnt/unionfs/ebooks/ it cannot access that location and gives an error message. I have a feeling it’s a gdrive credentials issue.

Calibre-Web - again, works insofar as it loads and can configure. However attempting to load a library from google drive /mnt/unionfs/ebooks/ results in a credentials error - have explored github extensively and found many other people with this issue, however none using docker, sadly. Have attempted a load of potential solutions (dropping config.json files into the correct opt/app data/*) but none have worked as of yet. Maybe my mappings weren’t correct but I’d need to go back and check it all again.

Would definitely be willing to give this another stab in the new year though and it’s good to know there are others out there who want it working too.

bretc

Experienced
Donor
Donor
Aug 8, 2018
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I wonder if it would work ok once everything was scanned/configured? Even calibre on Windows is slow and clunky the first time around. I don't see why you'd get a credentials error with calibre-web though.

I've found that rdp-calibre is deprecated. The Github page says we should now use linuxserver/calibre instead.

So, I tried editing /opt/communityapps/apps/rdp-calibre.yml to reflect that new docker pull but it comes up with an error when I try to install it in pgblitz. I've also tried making a new file (based on rdp-calibre.yml) called ls-calibre.yml and pgblitz seems to delete the entire communityapps directory. Now I have forked Apps-Community on Github and I'm going to attempt to do the above and then load my forked version with pgblitz.
Post automatically merged:

Well, I'm not exactly sure what information to put when pg asks about the fork. When I put my username and '8.6' as the version, it runs with this error:

fatal: [127.0.0.1]: FAILED! => {"changed": false, "cmd": "/usr/bin/git checkout --force 8.6", "msg": "Failed to checkout 8.6", "rc": 1, "stderr": "error: pathspec '8.6' did not match any file(s) known to git.\n", "stderr_lines": ["error: pathspec '8.6' did not match any file(s) known to git."], "stdout": "", "stdout_lines": []}
to retry, use: --limit @/opt/plexguide/menu/pgbox/pgbox_communitypersonal.retry

My new ls-calibre doesn't show up in the app list and when I install rdp-calibre (with the updated linuxserver/calibre path) it works without errors, but when I try to access rdp-calibre.myserver.com it returns a 404. I'm back to being stumped again. ?‍♂ It's possible it's not even running my forked version.

I forgot to mention earlier than Lazylibrarian does appear to be working correctly now! Both ebooks and abooks are sorted properly on gdrive, so that's something! I guess I can try to install calibre outside of pgblitz like I was originally planning but I think I'm done for now. ?

Hey, I just edited rdp-calibre.yml and changed the pgrole and image lines. Here's the .yml but it's basically the same file as rdp-calibre.yml.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

timmeh

Experienced+
Feb 14, 2019
Nice work! Would you mind sharing your .YML and I’ll have a stab at it over the next week or so? I’ve checked mine and I’m definitely running the deprecated RDP version so would like to have a go at configuring the up-to-date Linux-based version.
I’ll also have a look at configuring calibre-web without using the google drive integration and see how that goes.
Would be great to get a wiki together for this as it’s not very straight forward, and hopefully up-to-date/working .yml files would help others get most of the way there.

bretc

Experienced
Donor
Donor
Aug 8, 2018
For some reason it merged it into my post above.

timmeh

Experienced+
Feb 14, 2019
Nice one dude - I've managed to get Lazy Librarian and Calibre up and running.

What path are you using for lazylibrarian to talk to the calibre database under Config > Processing > Calibre > Calibredb import program: [B]X[/B]

I'd have thought it would be either
/opt/calibre/calibredb
or /mnt/unionfs/ebooks

but I can't get either to work...

Once that is all sorted then Calibre-Web is the final piece of the puzzle.
Will hopefully have it all up and running this week and then I'll try and put a wiki together so that other's can get it all up and running @Admin9705

I'm not sure if you came across this issue when setting up your calibre library but I'm getting a read-only error when adding books to it:

Code:
calibre, version 4.7.0
ERROR: Errors while adding: Failed to add any books, click "Show details" for more information

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Failed to add the book: Catch Me If You Can
    /mnt/unionfs/ebooks/Abagnale, Frank W_/Catch Me If You Can/Catch Me If You Can - Frank W. Abagnale.mobi
With error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/add.py", line 414, in add_book
  File "site-packages/calibre/db/legacy.py", line 225, in create_book_entry
  File "site-packages/calibre/db/cache.py", line 62, in call_func_with_lock
  File "site-packages/calibre/db/cache.py", line 1580, in create_book_entry
  File "site-packages/calibre/db/backend.py", line 874, in execute
  File "src/cursor.c", line 236, in resetcursor
ReadOnlyError: ReadOnlyError: attempt to write a readonly database
I don't suppose you encountered anything similar and overcame it? I've tried changing permissions to 755, even 777, but nothing seems to work. Thought it was a mapping issue initially but no dice, so now I'm a little stumped.

RESOLVED - spelling error in drive mapping
?

Last edited:

bretc

Experienced
Donor
Donor
Aug 8, 2018
Hey! Are you still using the rdp-calibre? For some reason that install never worked for me and when I couldn't seem to install the newer calibre through plexguide, I gave up for a bit. So while lazylibrarian is doing a great job of grabbing books (in spurts), I haven't been able to play with calibre yet.
I thought the calibredb line was supposed to point to metadata.db ? I feel like I read that--maybe in the calibre-web wiki?

timmeh

Experienced+
Feb 14, 2019
Hey! Things have progressed nicely. I’ve got the calibre YML you sent over and calibre-web up and running and working nicely.
I was having stability/corruption difficulties with the database being located on /mnt/unionfs/ebooks/ so the database is store at /opt/appdata/calibre/Calibre Library/ for now (/books for calibre-web is mapped to the same dir).
Calibre was able to upload my entire lib from /mnt/unionfs/ebooks/ to /opt/appdata/calibre/Calibre library/ in one go last night (very stable for calibre!).

All downloads from LL are set to /mnt/unionfs/ebooks/, then calibre checks that folder regularly and COPIES all books into /opt/appdata/calibre/Calibre Library during import.
This way, all downloads are saved securely in drive, but have the benefit of being duped and stored locally for Calibre to access stably. Books are small in size so my entire 3000 book library is only 2.5Gb - I kind of think of it as the Calibre equivalent of Plex metadata.

However, if there is a way to have the metadata.db database file stored and accessed stably on /mnt/unionfs/ebooks/ then that would be ideal, but I haven’t been able to get it to work for more than 1 hour before it corrupts.

As an aside, do you find redeploying the containers takes AGES? I get bad gateway errors for about 5 mins before both calibre and calibre-web sort themselves out. Very odd.

Anyway, I’m going to play more with LL today and report back.

How are your processing/download folders mapped in LL?

Last edited:

bretc

Experienced
Donor
Donor
Aug 8, 2018
How did you end up installing my ls-calibre.yml? Did you do it through plexguide somehow or some other way? Please explain! :D

For me, LL moves downloaded ebooks/abooks to their appropriate folders in /mnt/unionfs/ and they stay there. That should work for the library location, but the metadata.db file would definitely need to be on your server--I'm not surprised it corrupts coming from gdrive. Can't you point LL and Calibre to the same /mnt/unionfs/ directories for the library itself? I think because LL is supposed to name things appropriately, and Calibre should just add new items to the library without having to import.
To be clear it would look something like this:
  1. LL downloads to your server
  2. LL renames and moves the download to the author-sorted library folder (/mnt/unionfs/ebooks/)
  3. Calibre sees the new items automatically without importing or moving anything
  4. You browse and transfer to your ebook reader via calibre-web

Instead, it seems like you are downloading to your server, LL renames and moves to gdrive, then Calibre finds and moves back to your server. It's true that regular books don't take up too much space, but for people that read manga, graphic novels, comics, and/or download audiobooks, this wouldn't work.

If simply pointing Calibre's library to the same directory LL puts books on gdrive doesn't work, you could make the Calibre library location another directory on gdrive; you'd have 2 copies of everything on gdrive and use extra processing power on your server, but that still seems better than filling up your server drive.
You could set the calibre library to the path: /mnt/unionfs/calibre-lib/ and then everything would end up in that folder on your gdrive.
And you definitely want metadata.db to be stored locally, such as: /opt/appdata/calibreDB/

timmeh

Experienced+
Feb 14, 2019
OK, so I think where I'm falling down is keeping the metadata.db separate from the books. Every time I trying adding books to the library (from /mnt/unionfs/ebooks) it adds them to the local directory where metadata.db is located.
So in your 4 step, it's section 3 which I'm not sure how to get working. As that would make life LOADS easier. I'm sure it's a simple setting on calibre which I'm just not seeing, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Once step 3 is setup, would calibre then just automatically add any new books to the library?

bretc

Experienced
Donor
Donor
Aug 8, 2018
Hey, I'm still hoping to get an explanation for how you installed the .yml file I posted.

I'm pretty sure if you fix your paths, it should fix your database issues, but I can't look at it myself until I get it installed. ;)

timmeh

Experienced+
Feb 14, 2019
I installed it via the add mycontainers route (https://github.com/PGBlitz/PGBlitz.com/wiki/Custom-Containers) - and it works perfectly! I reinstalled it again this evening.
When I initally installed it I got a 502 error, but I found that this was due to a conflict with the calibre-web .yml which contained two domains 1. HOST:calibre-web.domain.com, calibre.domain.com - which conflicted with the calibre.yml which required calibre.domain.com to be free - maybe that's causing your issues?

browneye253

Citizen
Dec 17, 2019
I volunteer as tribute to see if I can get this working on a third install. I'll try and read back through the thread and see where I can get. It's annoying how much more complicated managing books are compared to other media.

bretc

Experienced
Donor
Donor
Aug 8, 2018
Well if you can get it going then we can put something in the Wiki, or at least clarify the instructions for whoever comes after.
Please let me know when you get to installing my .yml file, because I'm not sure what to do there so I can't get farther :p

timmeh

Experienced+
Feb 14, 2019
I have found some more info about storing the metadata.db in a separate local folder and keeping /mnt/unionfs/ebooks/ for the books.
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/customize.html#environment-variables - using the CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_DATABASE_PATH variable, you can specify which folder you'd like the metadata to be located in.
I'll play around with this over the coming days and then we're nearly there for others to test.
I'll put some instructions/wiki together to work off. Thanks @browneye253 for offering!

OK, so sadly calibre doesn't work by detecting files which have been added to the library directory. In order for it to automatically add files to the database it must use the 'automatically add' function, which then deletes them from the directory that it was scraping them from, in this case, the directory that LL downloads them to.

Also, Calibre and cloud have a tricky

Just as a quick update - calibre-web only handles 1 calibre database at a time. I think most folk would keep books, comics and magazines in separate calibre libraries, so I am playing around with multiple calibre-web instances (running on different ports) which can access discrete calibre libraries.
N.B. You only need one instance of calibre.

Also, we're one step closer to getting /mnt/unionfs/ebooks working as a storage location for books, but keeping the database local :

Will have another play around this evening ?

Last edited:

timmeh

Experienced+
Feb 14, 2019
OK - apologies for the radio silence - have been planning to move house and lots of other life admin things which have put this on hold for a while. I also reached a bit of a fork in the road:
The calibre environment variables which would enable calibre to place the metadata.db in a local/different folder to the /mnt/ebooks which would be on drive (metadata.db cannot be on drive - it simply won't work stably). Unfortunately, when Calibre is setup using the environment variables in this way, Calibre can only run 1 library. This is a big issue and not one that can be overcome.
I currently have calibre-web and calibre running nicely with multiple local libraries (which suits my needs), and have had it working with a local metadata.db and /mnt/ library but gave up on that since the single library is not going to suit everyone's needs. Certainly not mine.

Furthermore, while I was researching how to get calibre to play nicely with LL in order for it to automatically add books to the calibre library, LL needs to link to a file called 'calibredb' which resides in the calibre container at opt/calibre/calibredb. Since resources cannot be shared between containers (I have tried various ways), making this is a fundamental issue in getting the two programmes to work together.

But we are not without other options - https://github.com/Thraxis/docker-lazylibrarian-calibre is a (less well maintained) version of calibre AND LL combo which shares resources between the two programmes as they are in the same container. It was designed to overcome this exact issue and will allow LL to access opt/calibre/calibredb.
However, I have yet to play with this so if anyone else fancies giving it a go then please go ahead. I'm hoping to find some time to look into it over the next few weeks but I have so much on at the moment I can't make any guarantees of when this will be.

LeonVincent

Citizen+
Sep 12, 2018
hi guys!

quick question about the CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_DATABASE_PATH variable: how did you, @timmeh, manage to set this up?

i changed this in the environment setting in portainer, but it doesn't seem to be passed on to calibre, i.e. calibre is still expecting the metadata.db to be with the rest of the library. i also tried to symlink the .db as described in this thread but here calibre says that the file is corrupted… i wouldn't mind keeping everything in one library as its 99% books in my case anyway. any tips?

LeonVincent

Citizen+
Sep 12, 2018
actually, i tried again and the symlink option works. metadata.db is on the server's local disk, symlinked to the library location and calibre is accepting it. should also work with multiple libraries!

danielbmarshall

Citizen
Dec 23, 2018
LeonVincent, can you post your YML file please? I'm still having trouble making this work with both the symlink and the CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_DATABASE_PATH. The library files seem to still want to copy to the local drive.

bretc

Experienced
Donor
Donor
Aug 8, 2018
Hey! I'm still alive but haven't had a chance to mess with this for a while and probably won't for at least the rest of the month.
I look forward to trying that calibre/LL container since it seems to solve our problems. Can't be the only people wanting to do this though, so I wonder what others are using for ebooks?!?

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending