Ideas - Local CACHE Size | PlexGuide.com

Ideas Local CACHE Size

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

shatdueces

Experienced
Original poster
Staff
Donor
Jul 13, 2018
I mentioned this in another thread but I think this could be useful to some others as well as myself. I would like to be able to keep a "local" cache to the server. This way should i ever lose internet connection Plex will remain working. The way the system is now, If I lose internet, Most if not all of my Plex becomes unavailable. When the internet is down is when I would need Plex most lol. If the threshold for local data could be adjusted I think this would be so amazing.

hooper

Governer
Staff
Donor
Aug 1, 2018
you could do something like this by using the optimize feature of plex. For example, you could have plex optimize the most recent/unplayed movies added to your collection and store the optimized versions in a fileystem that is not a part of the unionfs mount used by PG. Maybe you have this set for the 10 most recent additions and you put it in /mnt/optimized/movies for example.

See https://support.plex.tv/articles/213095317-creating-optimized-versions/ for information on this feature of Plex.

Admin9705

Administrator
Project Manager
Donor
Jan 17, 2018
suggestions are good but if your asking for something that cannot be done :D

shatdueces

Experienced
Original poster
Staff
Donor
Jul 13, 2018
you could do something like this by using the optimize feature of plex. For example, you could have plex optimize the most recent/unplayed movies added to your collection and store the optimized versions in a fileystem that is not a part of the unionfs mount used by PG. Maybe you have this set for the 10 most recent additions and you put it in /mnt/optimized/movies for example.

See https://support.plex.tv/articles/213095317-creating-optimized-versions/ for information on this feature of Plex.
This is a great idea! the only issue see with this is the Storage management. will plex manage the amount of storage available? I assume it will by management of the number to keep.

suggestions are good but if your asking for something that cannot be done :D
Im confused by this statement. I guess what you are saying is no it can not be done? Im not a programmer so I dont know the in and outs of it but, Couldnt you create a copy of the media rather than a move? then run some kind of Cron Job to remove local versions after a set time? Im just thinking out of the box. There used to be an application called Disk extender. What it would do is offload storage from a tier 1 storage to a tier 2 storage by leaving behind a "stub" file. This stub file was 1kb and simply told the application where to look for the file once it was removed. Again Im not trying to force anything just think there may still be some people out there who would want to have local Storage as well.

shatdueces

Experienced
Original poster
Staff
Donor
Jul 13, 2018
Yes it’s local to my home. I have a 1gb bidirectional internet connection with static ip. The issue I have is if we lose internet access, we lose access to our media. What I would love to have is a local cache that would retain a certain amount of data.

robert2018

Citizen+
Oct 7, 2018
You can setup an addtional library in plex for the local media or, store a local cache of like favorite tv shows and movies in a separate folder on the server outside of the gdrive and include that folder in an existing library. That would give you a local source in the event your internet connection is lost.

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending