Ideas - Local copy of movies for internet bandwidth bottleneck | PlexGuide.com

Ideas Local copy of movies for internet bandwidth bottleneck

• Stop using Chrome! Download the Brave Browser via >>> [Brave.com]
    It's a forked version of Chrome with native ad-blockers and Google's spyware stripped out! Download for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux!
Welcome to the PlexGuide.com
Serving the Community since 2016!
Register Now

MrMetal1986

Citizen
Original poster
Jan 4, 2019
Hi.

I've installed Plexguide on a remote VPS for 2-3 months now and I'm really enjoying it. Thank you very much for the hard work!

I currently have a limited internet bandwidth (around 75Mbps) which can be tight when streaming a 4k movie from my VPS.
I also own an NAS with limited space (well limited when considering the footprint of 4k movies...).

So my idea to go around my bandwidth limitation would be to sync the 4k movies from e.g. the two previous years to my NAS having a second plex server.

Basically, I would like to be as simple as possible for the users. So far, the plan is the following
1) mount gdrive to the NAS
2) rsync scheduled every night for copying movie to the NAS with a filter for movies of the last two years (ideas how to filter?)
3) sync the libraries with e.g. https://hub.docker.com/r/nowsci/plex-sync/ for syncing the status of each movie (any advice here? - I am concerned that because the plex servers have different content it will be a nightmare).

I'm literally open to any suggestion/recommendation!

Thanks.

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
You seem to be over complicating this, you ran Plex on your NAS previously, do the same again and just mount the 4K library on your second local server from the NAS. The down side is you end up with two servers, but it's it's hardly difficult to navigate to the side bar and access pinned libraries.

Reactions: 1 user

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
75mbs might be enough if you make a local plexguide or plex instance, essentially using gdrive as your CDN. If you haven't already, enable cloudflare CDN to your VPS as well.

However, if you go the local copy route, setup rclone remote on your home network. Then, use the --max-age flag. For example, if your local nas is /path/to/media and your remote is gdrive/Media, it would be something like:

Code:
sudo rclone sync gdrive:Media /path/to/media --max-age=2y --fast-list --use-mmap  --ignore-case  --no-update-modtime  --drive-chunk-size=128M  --track-renames --user-agent=Mozilla
You can also use rclone copy if you don't want it to delete items at the destination although I don't think it will delete an item that is 2y and 1d old without the --delete-excluded flag. If you don't want the sync/copy eating up all your download bandwidth, you can set the --bwlimit flag, e.g. --bwlimit=3M would limit downloads to ~30mbs of bandwidth.

Datamonkeh

Data Hoarding Primate
Project Manager
Donor
Donor
Jan 20, 2018
What model of NAS is it and what's your upload speed? Given many broadband technologies tend to be non symmetrical (over here 80/20 is typical if you are near a cabinet), I avoided the suggestion of uploading any of the 4K content, but if that's 75Mbit symmetrical, no reason not to.

MrMetal1986

Citizen
Original poster
Jan 4, 2019
Thank you very much for your help.

I'm not sure to understand what you are suggesting @Datamonkeh. My movies are located on the remote google drive, so that setting up a local plex server having a library pointing to the mounted google drive would not help me with respect to the bandwidth limitation (80/20 Mbps). My NAS is a Synology DS918+. No transcoding is intended here.

The big picture is to use the NAS as a kind of local buffer. This buffer has not unlimited space. This is the reason why I'm suggesting a cutoff with respect to the age of the movie (thank you for your suggestion @Edrock200, this seems to be nice especially when instructing Sonarr/Radarr to change to file date to the air date or cinema date).

I would really prefer not having two plex servers (one remote and one local) but I don't see how to do it otherwise as, as far as I understand, my NAS need to act as a buffer to circumvent the internet bandwidth limitation.

To sum up:

Current setup:

- home <----> internet <----> VPS (PMS) <----> gdrive

- My suggestion

80/20Mbps
( home ) <-----------------------> internet <----> VPS (PMS1) <----> gdrive

( NAS ) <-------------------------------- (internet) ---------------------------- gdrive
( with ) sync < 2years during the night ro BW limitation as suggested
( PMS2 )

bidirectional sync of the status of PMS1 and PMS2.

Thank you so much for your time :)

doob

Administrator
Project Manager
Jun 7, 2020
you need to save the static part of each folder to a text.file

ls /mnt/gdrive/movies-4k | grep "**(2019)**" >> /tmp/clone_movies-4k

then you need to craete a

while 4k do;
rclone copy .............
done

With a cat command from /tmp/clone_movies-4k

Really to much work
!!!

Build a vm windows
Install raidrive and bind the drive / tdrive on the host

Well done you simple fast and much easier

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
you could just do an rclone filter include (2019) and (2020) if your folders are named as such and you litterally want movies released in 2019/2020. If you want files created in the last two years then use the --max-age flag with rclone. But, if you have 80 down, I wouldn't give up on not having enough bandwidth just yet. 80 might be ok for 4k. That extra VPS layer in between your home and your G drive can add significant lag/bandwidth constraints. Mounting the G drive direct to your house allows you to use the closest path to Googles CDN network which in turn connects you to your G drive.

Last edited:

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
you need to save the static part of each folder to a text.file

ls /mnt/gdrive/movies-4k | grep "**(2019)**" >> /tmp/clone_movies-4k

then you need to craete a

while 4k do;
rclone copy .............
done

With a cat command from /tmp/clone_movies-4k

Really to much work
!!!

Build a vm windows
Install raidrive and bind the drive / tdrive on the host

Well done you simple fast and much easier
Rclone has this somewhat built in:
if you have a files list you can also use the --files-from flag to specify. But what might be easier is
Code:
rclone copy remote:path/to/4k /path/to/nas --include *2020* --include *2019*

MrMetal1986

Citizen
Original poster
Jan 4, 2019
Thank you all. I’ve setup rclone sync as indicated Edrock200. It is very nice to be able to set bandwidth limitations according to a timetable! The sync is still in progress.
I’ve also added plex-sync to synchronise the status of the movies of the local and remote plex servers (https://hub.docker.com/r/nowsci/plex-sync/). Interestingly, it synchronizes only the status « read ». For example, if one sets a movie as unplayed (which was previously played), a sync will mark the same movie as played. After inspecting the code, this is not a bug. Just wanted to make a note for everyone in case someone believes this behavior is unwanted.
Just in case, does anyone know a program that syncs the watched/unwatched status and, in case a movie is partially viewed, the progress of the movie?
Thanks!

Edrock200

MVP
Staff
Nov 17, 2019
Thank you all. I’ve setup rclone sync as indicated Edrock200. It is very nice to be able to set bandwidth limitations according to a timetable! The sync is still in progress.
I’ve also added plex-sync to synchronise the status of the movies of the local and remote plex servers (https://hub.docker.com/r/nowsci/plex-sync/). Interestingly, it synchronizes only the status « read ». For example, if one sets a movie as unplayed (which was previously played), a sync will mark the same movie as played. After inspecting the code, this is not a bug. Just wanted to make a note for everyone in case someone believes this behavior is unwanted.
Just in case, does anyone know a program that syncs the watched/unwatched status and, in case a movie is partially viewed, the progress of the movie?
Thanks!
Glad to hear you got it setup, and odd about the sync issues. There have been a few plex db sync utilities out there but I've never used them. The one you linked to seemed to be the most promising. There were instructions on the plex site on how to extract and reinject watch data, but it would need to be scripted and I don't know if it works any better than the utility you are using. There is also a traktv plugin for plex that supposedly does this:

The last post here has a user that appears to have used the plugin successfully and provides another link with more info:

MrMetal1986

Citizen
Original poster
Jan 4, 2019
Thank you for the additional information. Actually syncing just the watched status is enough. Everything works now as I originally wanted (original post). Thank you for your help!

Recommend NewsGroups

Up To a 58% Discount!

Trending