Location IP being reported as the Plex LAN address

UncleBuck

Original poster
Staff
Local time
9:25 PM
Dec 21, 2018
Houston, TX
So for certain users when they are streaming from my Plex the reported IP address is the Local LAN Plex container. This happens with only particular users regardless of what type of device they are using. I have my Plex setup to allow two concurrent remote streams per user but since Plex thinks the streams are local it doesn't apply the restriction. Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

1575295150833.png

deva5610

Donor
Local time
11:25 AM
May 1, 2019
I've noticed the same thing happening for a couple of months now and despite looking into it cannot figure out a matching pattern as to why. It's funky - when I used Plex on my Desktop it shows my Public IP. Plex on my phone and I get the Plex container IP as shown here. Some users only show the container IP. Some show their public IP. Some do both like me.

I'd also love to figure out why but I seriously can't find a pattern!

If you have Plex Pass you can use this script added to tautulli to monitor per user streams and then kill the last one if they go over a limit. It should work properly no matter the IP.

Last edited:

UncleBuck

Original poster
Staff
Local time
Dec 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Thanks for the info. I took a quick look at that and can't say I fully understand how to deploy the script. I will have to give it a better look.

deva5610

Donor
Local time
11:25 AM
May 1, 2019
Ahh okay. Let's see if I can help or make it worse :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

SSH into the server running Tautulli and run the following command to download the kill_stream.py script and make it executable.

curl "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/blacktwin/JBOPS/master/killstream/kill_stream.py" --output "/opt/appdata/tautulli/scripts/kill_stream.py" && chmod +x /opt/appdata/tautulli/scripts/kill_stream.py

Then open Tautulli and go to Settings (1), Notification Agents (2) and click Add a new notification agent (3)

1.jpg

Choose 'Script'

2.jpg

On the first tab that opens 'Configuration' enter /config/scripts as the script folder (this assumes you've used the curl command above to grab the script, and you've not changed the docker volumes and mounts when installing).

Wait a couple of seconds for Tautulli to scan the folder and then you should be able to choose ./kill_stream.py for the 'Script File'.

You can leave the timeout at default or change it as you desire. The script will run every time a user starts a new stream. It's a pretty quick script which will finish long long before 30 seconds. This is just in case it hangs.

Enter anything you want for the description.

3.jpg

Next we'll click the 'Triggers' tab and choose Playback Start

4.jpg

Move on to the 'Conditions' tab. Change '-- Parameter --' to User Streams, '-- Operator --' to is greater than and '-- Value --' to the number of simultaneous streams you want to allow.

5.jpg

Last up is the 'Arguments' tab. Click on 'Playback Start' and then under 'Script Arguments' enter --jbop stream --username {username} --sessionId {session_id} --killMessage 'You are only allowed 2 concurrent streams.' changing the message at the end to whatever you want.

6.jpg

Click Save and then you can close the window. If you have Plex Pass and you add this script then everything should work how you want.
Post automatically merged:

Also I forgot to add that when in the Tautulli Settings area you need to go to "Web Interface" on the left hand side menu and then click the checkbox to "Enable API" down the bottom. Then save.

Once that's done it'll all be setup properly, but sometimes it needs a restart of Tautulli and/or Plex for it to work.

Last edited:

UncleBuck

Original poster
Staff
Local time
Dec 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Thanks @deva5610

I was working on this last night and had gotten most of that figure out but the one thing I didn't do was make the script executable. I am still a Linux noob. I made the script executable and now it's killing the 3rd stream. I then added additional an additional condition to exempt myself which worked very nicely. Gonna have to look over what else this script can do for me.
Post automatically merged:

@deva5610 Script seems to be working great. I would like to get discord notifications working. I looked at the documentation but I can't get it working. I setup a webhook on my discord server. I setup the webhook in Tautulli. How do I get the script agent to trigger the webhook agent in tautulli?

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.